Ultraviolet radiation (UV) altered plant metabolism. Hence Trigonella foenum-graecum L. (Fenugreek) exposed to UV-B radiation for studying the bioactive changes that may be useful in captive farming. UV-B treatment altered plant growth, and extent of alterations depended on the duration of radiation treatment. Photosynthetic pigments such as chlorophyll and carotenoids decreased after radiation exposure. But bioactive components such as anthocyanin, flavonoids, and phenolics increased after UV-B treatment. Phenylalanine lyase enzyme activity and peroxidase activity also increased with 4.0 hr UV-B exposure even though 8.0 hr exposure decreased the activity of these enzymes. Total lipid content of the plants increased after UV-B exposure. Changes in aromatic oil composition observed due to UV-B exposure, and the changes pointed shifting of plant metabolism towards the synthesis of short chain fatty acid contain lipids and non-enzymatic antioxidants.
2. Tripathi R, Sarkar A, Rai SP, Agrawal SB. Supplemental ultraviolet-B and ozone, impact on antioxidants, proteome and genome of linseed (Linum usitatissimum L. cv Padmimi). Plant Biol 2010; doi: 10.1111/j. 1438-8677.2010.00323.x.)| false
3. Kumari R, Prasad M.N.V. (2013) Medicinal Plant Active Compounds Produced by UV-B Exposure Sustainable Agriculture Reviews 12, 225-254. E. Lichtfouse (ed.) Springer International Publishing Switzerland. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-16742-8_8.
4. Kumari R, Prasad M.N.V. (2014) Effect of UV-B pretreatment on essential oil components, health sensory secondary metabolites and antioxidant potential of Coleus aromaticus. International Journal of Biological & Pharmaceutical Research 5(8): 675-688.
5. Kumari R, Prasad M.N.V, Agrawal S.B (2015) Growth and Defense Metabolism of Plants Exposed to Ultraviolet-B Radiation. Sustainable Agriculture Reviews 17, 263-305. E. Lichtfouse (ed.). Springer International Publishing Switzerland.DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-16742-8_8
6. Kumari R, Agrawal SB, Singh S, Dubey NK. Supplemental ultraviolet-B induced changes in essential oil composition and total phenolics of Acorus calamus L (Sweet flag). Ecotoxicol Environ Safety 2009; 72:2013-2019.
7. Rozema J, Bjorn LO, Bornman JF, Gaberscik A, Hader DP, Trost T, Germ M, Klisch M, Groiger A, Sinha RP, Lebert M, He YY, Buffoni Hall R, Bakker NVJ, de Staaji J, vande Meijkamp B. The role of UV-Bradiation in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems-an experimental and functional analysis of the evolution of UV absorbing compound. J Photochem Photobiol B: Biol 2002; 66:2-12.
8. Higashio H, Hirokane H, Sato F, Tokuda S, Uragami A. Enhancement of functional compounds in Allium vegetables with UV radiation. Acta Hortic 2007; 744:357-361.
9. Kumari R, Agrawal SB. Comparative analysis of essential oil composition and oil containing glands in Ocimum sanctum L (Holy basil) under ambient and supplemental level of UV-B through gaschromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and Scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Acta Physiol Plant 2010; 33:1093-1110.
10. Holst B, Williamson G. A critical review of the bioavailability of glucosinolates and related compounds. Nat Prod Rep 2004; 21:425-447.
11. Schreiner M, Krumbein A, Mewis I, Ulrichs C, Huyskens-Keil S. Short-term and moderate UV-B radiation effects on secondary plant metabolism in different organs of nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L). Innov Food Sci Emerg Tech 2009; 10:93-96.
12. Jansen MAK, Hectors K, O’Brien N M, Guisez Y, Potters G. Plant stress and human health: do human consumers benefit from UV-B acclimated crops? Plant Sci 2008; 175:449-458.
13. Eichholz I, Huyskens-Keil S, Keller A, Ulrich D, Kroh LW, Rohn S. UV-B-induced changes of volatile metabolites and phenolic compounds in blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L). Food Chem 2011; 126:60-64.
14. Ravindran KC, Indrajith A, Balakrishnan V, Venkatesan K, Kulandaivelu G. Determination of defense mechanism in Phaseolus trilobus Ait seedlings treated under UV-B radiation. Af Crop Sci J 2010; 16:111-118.
15. Johnson CB, Kirby J, Naxakis G, Pearson S. Substantial UV-B-mediated induction of essential oils in sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L). Phytochemistry 1999; 51(4):507-510.
16. Maffei M, Scannerini S. UV-B effect on photomorphogenesis and essential oil composition in peppermint (Mentha piperita L.). J Essent Oil Res 2000 ; 12: 529-529.
17. Afreen F, Zobayed SMA, Kozai T. Spectral quality and UV-B stress stimulate glycyrrhizin concentration of Glycyrrhiza uralensis in hydroponic and pot system. Plant Physiol Biochem 2005; 43:1074-1081.
18. Yadav UV, Baquer NZ. Pharmacological effects of Trigonella foenum- graecum L. in health and disease. Pharm Biol Pharm 2014; 52:243-54.
19. Kaviarasan S, Naik GH, Gangabhagirathic R, Anuradhaa CV, Priyadarsini KI. In vitro studies on antiradical and antioxidant activities of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seeds. Food Chem 2007; 103:31-37.
20. Lichtenthaler HK, Wellburn AR. Determinations of total carotenoids and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochem Soc Trans 1983; 11: 591 - 592.
21. Mancinelli A. Photoregulation of anthocyanin synthesis.VIII. Effects of light pre-treatments. Plant Physiol 1984; 75:447-453.
22. McDonald S, Prenzler PD, Autolovich M, Robards K. Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of olive extracts. Food Chem 2001; 73:73-84.
23. Kumar S, Kumar D, Manjusha, Saroha K, Singh N, Vashishta B. Antioxidant free radical scavenging potential of Citrullus colocynthis (L.) Schrad. Methanolic fruit extract. Acta Pharm 2008; 58:215-220.
24. Kumar R, Hemalatha S. In-vitro antioxidant activity of alcoholic leaf extract and subfractions of Alangium lamarckii Thwaites. J Chem Pharm Res 2011; 259-267.
25. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurements with Folin-phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951; 193:265-275.
26. Padmaja M, Sravanthi M, Hemalatha KPJ. Evaluation of antioxidant activity of two indian medicinal plants. J Phytol 2011; 3(3):86-91.
28. Sun J, Wang X, Wang P, Li L, Qu W, Liang J. Antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxic properties of essential oil from Dictamnus angustifolius. J Ethnopharmacol 1970; 159: 296-300.
29. Petropoulou Y, Kypariasis A, Nikolopoulous D, Menetus Y. Enhanced UV-B radiation alleviates the adverse effect of summer drought in two Mediterranean pines under field condition. Physiol Plant 1995; 94: 37-44.
30. Agrawal SB, Rathore D. Changes in oxidative stress defense system in wheat (Triticum aestivum L) and mung bean (Vigna radiata L) cultivars grown with and without mineral nutrients and irradiated by supplemental ultraviolet-B. Environ Exp Bot 2007; 59:21-33.
31. Greenberg BM, Wilson MI, Huang XD, Duxbury CL, Garhardt KE, Gensemerr W. The effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on higher plants. In: Wang W, Gorsuch JW, Hughes JS [eds.], Plants for Environmental Studies , Boca Raton, CRC Press, Florida 1997; 1-36.
32. Sebastian A, Prasad M.N.V. Operative photo assimilation associated proteome modulations are critical for iron-dependent cadmium tolerance in Oryza sativa L. Protoplasma 2015; 252(5):1375-1386.
33. Agrawal SB, Singh S, Agrawal M. UV-B induced changes in gene expression and antioxidants in plants. Adv Bot Res 2009; 52:47-86.
34. Alothman M, Bhat R, Karim AA. Effects of radiation processing on phytochemicals and antioxidants in plant produce. Trends Food Sci Technol 2009; 20:201-212.
35. Dai J, Mumper RJ. Plant phenolics: extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties. Molecules 2010; 15:7313-7352.
36. Sperandio O, Fan BT, Zakrzewska K, Jia ZJ, Zheng RL, Panaye A, Doucet JP, Fassi NE. Theoretical study of fast repair of DNA damage by cistanoside C and analogs: mechanism and docking. SAR QSAR Environ Res 2002; 13:243-260.
37. Atmani D, Chaher N, Atmani D, Boudaoud H, Debache N, Berboucha M. Flavonoids in human health: from structure to biological activity. Curr Nutr Food Sci 2009; 5: 225-237.
38. Dolzhenko Y, Bertea CM, Occhipinti A, Bossi S, Maffei ME. UV-B modulates the interplay between terpenoids and fl avonoids in peppermint ( Mentha piperita L). J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 2010; 100:67-75.
39. Ahmad P, Jaleel CA, Salem MA, Nabi G, Sharma S. Roles of enzymatic and nonenzymatic antioxidants in plants during abiotic stress. Crit Rev Biotechnol 2009; 30: 161-175.
40. Ohlrogge J, Browse J. Lipid Biosynthesis. The Plant Cell 1995; 7:957-970.
41. Chang X, Alderson PG, Wright CJ. Enhanced UV-B radiation alters basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) growth and stimulates the synthesis of volatile oils. J Hort Forest 2009; 1: 27-31.