For cigarettes, the weight of tobacco consumed in a puff can be determined by measuring the weight of tobacco consumed in a puff cycle (both the puff and free burn period) and correcting this weight for that consumed in free burn. The latter is determined independently. This methodology cannot be readily applied to cigars as in general, cigars do not burn for any extended period under free burn conditions. In this communication, a method has been described whereby the weights of tobacco consumed in the puff and in the free burn period between puffs can be determined. This information is obtained by examining the weights of tobacco burned at different puff frequencies or different puff volumes. Under both conditions of test, the weight of tobacco consumed during free burn is obtained by extrapolation of the data to zero puff frequency or volume. For data at different puff frequencies, the weight of tobacco burned in a puff is obtained directly from the slope of the curve. The method provides a means of describing the burning characteristics of a cigar.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Artho A. J.: Zur Bestimmung der Glimmrate von Cigaretten; Beitr. Tabakforsch. 3 (1965) 19--24.
2. Kaburaki Y. H. Kuniyoshi and H. Shigematsu: Instrument for the measurement of cigarette free burning rates; Sci. Papers Central Res. Inst. Japan Monopoly Corp. No.109171.1967.
3. Rice R.L. R. S. Perrier and V. C. Runeddes: A weight loss technique for determining rate of static bum; Tobacco Science XIV (1.970) 173-1.75.
4. Waltz P. and M. Hiiusermann: Untersuchungen zur Rauchmethodik; Mitt. Lebensmitt. Hyg. 51 (196o) 325-338.
5. Baddturst J. D. and I. W. Hughes: Use of the smoulder rate of a cigarette for determining the weight of tobacco burned during puffing; 16th Tobacco Chemists' Research Conference Richmond Virginia Sept. 26-28 1962.
6. Williamson J. T. and P. J. Clark: Eine neue automatisdte Raudunaschine zur Einstellung auf die versdtiedensten Abrauchbedingungen; Beitr. Tabakforsch. 1 (1.962)187-1.91.
7. GottschoA. M.: International studies on cigar smoke; 27th Tobacco Chemists' Research Conference Winston- Salem North Carolina Oct. 3-51973.