The financial numbers game is unfortunately alive and doing well. One of the forensic accounting techniques is based on Benford’s Law and is used for the detection of unusual transactions, anomalies or trends. The aim of this paper is to test whether the financial statements of Croatian companies deviate from Benford’s Law distribution. The financial statements of 24 companies that are in the pre-bankruptcy settlement process and 24 companies that are not in the pre-bankruptcy settlement process were analysed using the Benford’s Law test of the first digit distribution for the period from 2015 to 2018. The data used to calculate the first digits of distribution were taken from the Zagreb Stock Exchange. The chi-square test has shown that the observed companies that are not in the process of pre-bankruptcy settlement do not have the first digit distribution which follows the Benford’s Law distribution. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov Z test has shown that the distribution of the first digits from the financial statements of companies listed on the Zagreb Stock Exchange fits to Benford’s Law distribution.
2. Albrecht, W. S. (2009). Fraud Examination. South-Western Cengage Learning, Mason.
3. Amiram, D., Bozanic, Z., Roun, E. (2015). Financial statement errors: evidence from the distributional properties of financial statement numbers. Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 1540-1593.
4. Asslani, A., Naco, M. (2014). Using Benford’s Law for Fraud Detection in Accounting Practices. Journal of Social Science Studies, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 129-143.
7. Blondeau Da Silva, S. (2019). Benford or not Benford: a systematic but not always well-founded use of an elegant law in experimental fields. Communications in Mathematics and Statistics. arXiv:1804.06186v2 [math.PR] 12 Jun 2018. Available at: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.06186.pdf [15 July 2019].
8. Corazza, M., Ellero, A., Zorzi, A. (2010). Checking financial markets via Benford's law: The S&P 500 case. In Mathematical and Statistical Methods for Actuarial Sciences and Finance, Corazza, M., Pizzi C. (Eds.), Springer, Milano, pp. 93-102.
9. Diekmann A., Jann, B. (2010). Benford’s Law and Fraud Detection: Facts and Legends. German Economic Review, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 397-401.
10. Dumičić, K., Cunjak Mataković, I. (2019). Challenges of Benford’s Law goodness-of-fit testing in discovering the distribution of first digits: comparison of two industries. In Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium on Operational Research SOR'19, Zadnik Stirn, L., Kljajić Borštnar, M., Žerovnik, J., Drobne, S., Povh, J. (Eds.), Slovenian Society Informatika, Section for Operational Research, Ljubljana, pp. 290-295.
11. Durtschi, C., Hillison, W., Pacini, C. (2004). The Effective Use of Benford's Law to Assist in Detecting Fraud in Accounting Data. Journal of Forensic Accounting, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 17-34.
12. Hasić, T. (2014). Rokovi ispunjenja novčanih obaveza prema Zakonu o financijskom poslovanju i predstečajnoj nagodbi. Zagrebačka pravna revija - elektronički časopis poslijediplomskih studija Pravnog fakulteta Sveučilišta u Zagrebu, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 195-212.
14. Hogan, C. E., Rezaee, Z., Riley, R. A., Velury, U. K. (2008). Financial Statement Fraud: Insight from the Academic Literature. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 231-252.
15. Jošić, H., Žmuk, B. (2018). The Application of Benford’s Law in psychological pricing detection. Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta Sveučilišta u Mostaru, No. 24, pp. 37-57.
16. Krakar, Z., Žgela, M. (2009). Evaluation of Benford's Low Application in Stock Prices and Stock Turnover. Informatologia, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 158-165.
17. Krishnan, G. V., Visvanathan, G. (2007). Reporting Internal Control Deficiencies in the Post-Sarbanes-Oxley Era: The Role of Auditors and Corporate Governance. International Journal of Auditing, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 73-90.
18. Nigrini, M. J., Miller, S. J. (2009). Data Diagnostics Using Second-Order Test of Benford’s Law. Auditing, A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 305-324.
19. Nigrini, M. J. (2011). Forensic Analytics: Methods and Techniques for Forensic Accounting Investigations. John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey.
20. Omerzu, N., Kolar, I. (2019). Do the Financial Statements of Listed Companies on the Ljubljana Stock Exchange Pass the Benford's Law Test? International Business Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 54-64.
21. Papić, M., Vudrić, N., Jerin, K. (2017). Benfordov zakon i njegova primjena u forenzičkom računovodstvu. Zbornik sveučilišta Libertas, Vol. 1-2, No. 1-2, pp. 153-172.
23. Rauch, B., Göttsche, M., Brähler, G., Engel, S. (2011). Fact and Fiction in EU-Governmental Economic Data. German Economic Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 243-255.
24. Shi, J., Ausloss, M., Zhu, T. (2018). Benford’s law first significant digit and distribution distances for testing the reliability of financial reports in developing countries. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Vol. 492, pp. 878-888.