Objective: The aim of the study was to determine differences in the range of socio-demographic variables, selected clinical variables, temperament and character traits, coping with stress strategies and the level of aggression in alcohol addicts with or without a history of suicide attempt(s).
Methods: The study involved 90 people addicted to alcohol, treated in inpatient alcohol dependence treatment program. In order to collect data on socio - demographic variables and selected clinical variables, a self-made questionnaire was used. The severity of alcohol dependence was verified using the MAST and SADD scales. Characteristics of temperament and character were examined with the TCI questionnaire. The BPAQ and COPE questionnaires were used to examine the level of aggression and styles of coping with stress.
Results:Out of 90 subjects with alcohol dependence syndrom, 20% had attempted suicide in the past. The respondents with a history of suicide attempts were statistically significantly younger, were characterized by a younger age of alcohol drinking initiation and the initiation of regular alcohol drinking, and a greater severity of alcohol dependence in the MAST and SADD scales. A significantly larger percentage of respondents who had attempted suicide inflicted self-injury in the past, used other psychoactive substances as well as hypnotics and sedatives. The subjects with a suicide attempt in the interview obtained statistically significantly higher scores in terms of the level of aggression, harm avoidance and self-directedness, and more often used the style of coping with stress based on avoidance and accepting the situation.
Conclusions: The obtained results correspond with data available in the literature and may provide a foundation for theoretical models explaining the phenomenon of suicidal behavior in alcohol addicts as well as for suicide prevention programs in this group of patients.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Hawton K van Heeringen K. Suicide. Lancet. 2009;373(9672):1372–81.
2. Värnik P. Suicide in the world. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9(3):760–71.
3. World Health Organization http://www.who.int/ World Health Organization: SUPRE the WHO worldwide initiative for the prevention of suicide [cited 24.06.2018] from: http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/en/SUPRE_flyer1.pdf?ua=1
4. Kõlves K Draper BM Snowdon J De Leo D. Alcohol-use disorders and suicide: Results from a psychological autopsy study in Australia. Alcohol. 2017;64:29–35.
5. Cheng AT Chen TH Chen CC Jenkins R. Psychosocial and psychiatric risk factors for suicide. Case-control psychological autopsy study. Br J Psychiatry. 2000;177:360–5.
6. Wiener CD Moreira FP Zago A Souza LM Branco JC Oliveira JF de et al. Mood disorder anxiety and suicide risk among subjects with alcohol abuse and/or dependence: a population-based study.Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2018;40(1):1–5.
7. Khemiri L Jokinen J Runeson B Jayaram-Lindström N. Suicide Risk Associated with Experience of Violence and Impulsivity in Alcohol Dependent Patients. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19373.
8. Witt K Lubman DI. Effective suicide prevention: Where is the discussion on alcohol? Aust N Z J Psychiatry.2018;52(6):507–8.
9. Mann JJ Arango VA Avenevoli S Brent DA Champagne FA Clayton P et al. Candidate Endophenotypes for Genetic Studies of Suicidal Behavior. BiolPsychiatry.2009;65(7):556–63.
10. Cult Med Psychiatry. 2018. http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s11013-018-9589-4
11. Chang Q Chan CH Yip PSF. A meta-analytic review on social relationships and suicidal ideation among older adults.SocSci Med.2017;191:65–76.
12. Steele IH Thrower N Noroian P Saleh FM. Understanding Suicide Across the Lifespan: A United States Perspective of Suicide Risk Factors Assessment & Management.J Forensic Sci. 2018;63(1):162–71.
14. Ziółkowski M Czarnecki D Chodkiewicz J Gąsior K Juczyński A Biedrzycka A et al. Suicidal thoughts in persons treated for alcohol dependence: The role of selected demographic and clinical factors. Psychiatry Res. 2017;258:501–5.
15. Sher L. Risk and Protective Factors for Suicide in Patients with Alcoholism.Sci World J.2006;6:1405–11.
17. Conner K.Duberstein PR.Mccloskey MS. Psychiatric Risk Factors for Suicide in the Alcohol-Dependent Patient.Psychiatric Annals 38(11):742-748.
18. Selzer ML. The Michigan alcoholism screening test: the quest for a new diagnostic instrument. Am J Psychiatry. 1971;127(12):1653–8.
19. Falicki Z Karczewski J Wandzel L Chrzanowski W. Usefulness of the Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test (MAST) in Poland. Psychiatr Pol. 1986;20(1):38–42.
20. Raistrick D Dunbar G Davidson R. Development of a questionnaire to measure alcohol dependence. Br J Addict. 1983;78(1):89–95.
21. Ziółkowski M. Ocena skuteczności farmakoterapii w zapobieganiu nawrotowi picia u mężczyzn uzależnionych od alkoholu. Bydgoszcz; Akademia Medyczna im. Ludwika Rydygiera: 1999.
22. Hornowska E. E Hauser J Rybakowski F Samochowiec J. i wsp. Temperamentalne uwarunkowania zachowania. Badania z wykorzystaniem kwestionariusza TCI R.C. Cloningera. Poznań; Bogucki Wydawnictwo Naukowe: 2003.
23. Juczyński Z Ogińska-Bulik N. Narzędzia pomiaru stresu i radzenia sobie ze stresem. Warszawa; Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP: 2009.
24. Aranowska E Rytel J. Psychometric properties of The Buss-Perry Aggression Questionnaire. W: Terelak JF Majchrzyk Z. red. Psychology of aggression: Selected Issues. Warszawa;Wydawnictwo UKSW: 2011 s. 217–243.
25. Hung GC-L Caine ED Fan H-F Huang M-C Chen Y-Y. Predicting suicide attempts among treatment-seeking male alcoholics: an exploratory study. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2013;43(4):429–38.
26. Roy A Janal MN. Risk factors for suicide attempts among alcohol dependent patients. Arch Suicide Res. 2007;11(2):211–7.
27. Wojnar M Ilgen MA Czyz E Strobbe S Klimkiewicz A Jakubczyk A et al. Impulsive and non-impulsive suicide attempts in patients treated for alcohol dependence. J Affect Disord. 2009;115(1–2):131–9.
28. Roy A. Distal risk factors for suicidal behavior in alcoholics: replications and new findings. J Affect Disord. 2003;77(3):267–71.
29. Nock MK Borges G Bromet EJ Alonso J Angermeyer M Beautrais A et al. Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation plans and attempts. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;192(2):98–105.
30. Lejoyeux M Huet F Claudon M Fichelle A Casalino E Lequen V. Characteristics of suicide attempts preceded by alcohol consumption. Arch Suicide Res. 2008;12(1):30–8.
31. Borges G Bagge CL Cherpitel CJ Conner KR Orozco R Rossow I. A meta-analysis of acute use of alcohol and the risk of suicide attempt. Psychol Med. 2017;47(5):949–57.
32. Preuss UW Schuckit MA Smith TL Danko GP Bucholz KK Hesselbrock MN et al. Predictors and Correlates of Suicide Attempts Over 5 Years in 1237 Alcohol-Dependent Men and Women. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160(1):56–63.
33. Preuss UW Schuckit MA Smith TL Danko GP Buckman K Bierut L et al. Comparison of 3190 alcohol-dependent individuals with and without suicide attempts. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2002;26(4):471–7.
34. Roy A Lamparski D DeJong J Moore V Linnoila M. Characteristics of alcoholics who attempt suicide. Am J Psychiatry.1990;147(6):761–5.
35. Jakubczyk A Klimkiewicz A Krasowska A Kopera M Sławińska-Ceran A Brower KJ et al. History of sexual abuse and suicide attempts in alcohol-dependent patients. Child Abuse Negl. 2014;38(9):1560–8.
36. Roy A. Risk factors for suicide among adult alcoholics. Alcohol Health Res World.1993;17(2):133–6.
37. Epstein JA Spirito A. Risk factors for suicidality among a nationally representative sample of high school students. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2009;39(3):241–51.
38. Few LR Werner KB Sartor CE Grant JD Trull TJ Nock MK et al. Early onset alcohol use and self-harm: a discordant twin analysis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015;39(11):2134–42.
39. Buydens-Branchey L Branchey MH Noumair D. Age of alcoholism onset. I. Relationship to psychopathology. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989;46(3):225–30.
40. Aranowska E Chachaj L Morawski J. Three versions of alcoholism: MAST SADD RDC. W: A. Piotrowski S. Leder B. Gawrońska. red. Warszawa;PolishPsychiatricAssociation: 1989s.195–203.
41. Wagner BM. Family risk factors for child and adolescent suicidal behavior. Psychol Bull. 1997;121(2):246–98.
42. Minge K Minge N. Samobójstwo a samookaleczenia W: Suchańska A Wycisk J. Red. Samouszkodzenia istota uwarunkowania terapia. Poznań; Boguckie Wydawnictwo Naukowe: 2006 s.31-44.
43. Hamza CA Stewart SL Willoughby T. Examining the link between nonsuicidal self-injury and suicidal behavior: a review of the literature and an integrated model. Clin Psychol Rev. 2012;32(6):482–95.
44. Roy A. Characteristics of drug addicts who attempt suicide. Psychiatry Res. 2003;121(1):99–103.
45. Cloninger CR. A psychobiological model of personality and psychopathology.J Psychosom Med. 1997; 37(2): 91–102.
46. Stallings MC Hewitt JK Cloninger CR Heath AC Eaves LJ. Genetic and environmental structure of the Tridimensional Personality Questionnaire: Three or four temperament dimensions?J Pers Soc Psychol. 1996; 70(1): 127–140.
47. Becerra B Páez F Robles-García R Vela GE. Temperament and character profile of persons with suicide attempt. Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2005;33(2):117–22.
48. Grucza RA Przybeck TR Spitznagel EL Cloninger CR. Personality and depressive symptoms: a multi-dimensional analysis. J Affect Disord. 2003;74(2):123–30.
49. Perroud N Baud P Ardu S Krejci I Mouthon D Vessaz M et al. Temperament personality profiles in suicidal behaviour: an investigation of associated demographic clinical and genetic factors. J Affect Disord. 2013;146(2):246–53.
50. Calati R Giegling I Rujescu D Hartmann AM Möller H-J De Ronchi D et al. Temperament and character of suicide attempters. J Psychiatr Res. 2008;42(11):938–45.
51. Evren C Evren B. The relationship of suicide attempt history with childhood abuse and neglect alexithymia and temperament and character dimensions of personality in substance dependents. Nord J Psychiatry. 2006;60(4):263–9.
52. De Fruyt F Van De Wiele L Van Heeringen C. Cloninger’s Psychobiological Model of Temperament and Character and the Five-Factor Model of Personality.PersIndivid Dif. 2000;29(3):441–52.
53. Baud P. Personality traits as intermediary phenotypes in suicidal behavior: genetic issues. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2005;133(1):34–42.
54. Ball SA Tennen H Poling JC Kranzler HR Rounsaville BJ. Personality temperament and character dimensions and the DSMIV personality disorders in substance abusers. J Abnorm Psychol. 1997;106(4):545–53.
55. Svrakic DM Draganic S Hill K Bayon C Przybeck TR Cloninger CR. Temperament character and personality disorders: etiologic diagnostic treatment issues. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2002;106(3):189–95.
56. Jylhä P Ketokivi M Mantere O Melartin T Suominen K Vuorilehto M et al. Temperament character and personality disorders. Eur Psychiatry. 2013;28(8):483–91.
57. Conner KR Duberstein PR. Predisposing and precipitating factors for suicide among alcoholics: empirical review and conceptual integration. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2004;28(5):6-17.
58. Ribadier A Varescon I. Study of defense styles defenses and coping strategies in alcohol-dependent population. Encephale. 2017;43(3):223–8.