This article explores the phenomenologically informed, theoretical and empirical research direction on self-disorders in the schizophrenia spectrum conditions. First, we describe the concept of ‘self’ that is operative in the concept of ‘self-disorders’ and we discuss how this self may be disordered or fragile in the schizophrenia spectrum. Second, we offer a detailed psychopathological presentation and discussion of 3 patients with schizophrenia. The vignettes provide paradigmatic examples of self-disorders in schizophrenia. Third, we summarize the main findings in the current empirical research on self-disorders. These findings consistently indicate that self-disorders constitute a crucial, trait phenotype of the schizophrenia spectrum.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. WHO: World Health Organization. The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva; WHO: 1992.
2. APA: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. Arlington; APA: 2013.
3. Bleuler E. Dementia Praecox or the Group of Schizophrenias trans. by J. Zinkin. New York; International Universities: 1950.
4. Parnas J. Bovet P. Zahavi D. Schizophrenic autism: clinical phenomenology and pathogenetic implications. World Psychiatry 2002; 1(3): 131-136.
5. APA: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV. Washington DC; APA: 1994.
6. Andreasen N. DSM and the death of phenomenology in America: an example of unintended consequences. Schizophr Bull 2007; 33: 108–112.
7. Parnas J. Bovet P. Psychiatry made easy: operation(al)ism and some of its consequences. In: Kendler K. Parnas J. (eds) Philosophical issues in psychiatry III: the nature and sources of historical science. Oxford; Oxford University Press: 2015 pp. 190-212.
8. Parnas J. Differential diagnosis and current polythetic classification. World Psychiatry 2015; 14: 284-287.
9. Parnas J. Diagnostic epidemics and diagnostic disarray: the issue of differential diagnosis. In: Kendler K. Parnas J (eds) Philosophical Issues in Psychiatry IV. Oxford; Oxford University Press: 2017 143-145.
10. Sass L.A. Parnas J.: Schizophrenia consciousness and the self. Schizophr Bull 2003; 29: 427-444.
11. Parnas J. Møller P. Kircher T. Thalbitzer J. Jansson L. Handest P. et al. EASE: Examination of anomalous self-experience. Psychopathology 2005; 38: 236-258.
12. Parnas J. Henriksen M.G. Disordered self in the schizophrenia spectrum: A clinical and research perspective. Harv Rev Psychiatry 2014; 22: 251-265.
13. Hume D. A Treatise of Human Nature. New York; Oxford University Press: 2007.
14. Zahavi D. Thin Thinner Thinnest: Defining the Minimal Self. In Durt C. Fuchs T. Tewes C. (eds.) Embodiment Enaction and Culture. Investigating the Constitution of the Shared World. Cambridge MA.; The MIT Press: 2017 pp. 193-199.
15. Zahavi D. Subjectivity and Selfhood. Investigating the First-Person Perspective. Cambridge MA; MIT Press: 2005.
16. Zahavi D. Kriegel U. For-Me-Ness: What It Is and What It Is Not. In Dahlstrom D.O. Elpidorou A. Hopp W. (eds) Philosophy of Mind and Phenomenology: Conceptual and Empirical Approaches. New York; Routledge: 2016 pp. 36–53.
17. Zahavi D. Self and Other: Exploring Subjectivity Empathy and Shame. Oxford; Oxford University Press: 2014.
18. Sartre J.P. Being and Nothingness trans. H. E. Barnes. London; Routledge: 2003.
19. Cermolacce M. Naudin J. Parnas J. The ‘minimal self’ in psycho-pathology: Re-examining the self-disorders in the schizophrenia spectrum. Conscious Cogn 2007; 16: 703–714.
20. Nelson B. Parnas J. Sass L.A. Disturbance of minimal self (ipseity) in schizophrenia: Clarification and current status. Schizophr Bull 2014; 40: 479–482.
21. Parnas J. Henriksen M.G. Schizophrenia and mysticism: A phenomenological exploration of the structure of consciousness in the schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Conscious Cogn 2016; 43: 75-88.
22. Parnas J. Henriksen M.G. Selfhood and its disorders. In: Stanghellini G. Broome M. Fusar-Poli P. Fernandez A. Rosfort R. Raballo A. (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology. Oxford; Oxford University Press: in press.
23. Hart J.G. Who One Is. Book 1. Meontology of the ‘I’: A Transcendental Phenomenology. Berlin; Springer: 2009.
24. Henry M. The essence of manifestation trans. Etzkorn G. The Hague; Martinus Nijhoff: 1973.
25. Saks E.R. The center cannot hold. New York; Hyperion: 2007.
26. Nagai M. The “schizophrenic” in the self-consciousness of schizophrenic patients. Hist Psychiatry 2016; 27: 493-503.
27. Henriksen M.G. Parnas J. Self-disorders and schizophrenia: A phenomenological reappraisal of poor insight and noncompliance. Schizophr Bull 2014; 40: 542-547.
28. Parnas J. Henriksen M.G. Disturbance of the experience of self – a phenomenologically based approach. In Waters F. Stephane M. (eds) The assessment of psychosis: a reference book and rating scales for research and practice. New York; Routledge: 2015 pp. 235-244.
29. Jansson L. Nordgaard J. The psychiatric interview for differential diagnosis. Switzerland; Springer: 2016.
30. Henriksen M.G. On incomprehensibility in schizophrenia. Phenom Cogn Sci 2013; 12: 105-129.
31. Parnas J. Henriksen M.G. Subjectivity and schizophrenia: another look at incomprehensibility and treatment non-adherence. Psychopathology 2013; 46 (5): 320-329.
32. Henriksen M.G. Parnas J. Clinical manifestations of self-disorders and the Gestalt of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2012; 38: 657-660.
33. Parnas J. Handest P. Phenomenology of Anomalous Experiences in Early Schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2003; 44: 121-134.
34. Henriksen M.G. Raballo A. Parnas J. The pathogenesis of auditory verbal hallucinations in schizophrenia: a clinical-phenomenological account. Philos Psychiatr Psychol 2015; 22: 165-181.
35. Henriksen M.G. Nordgaard J. Self-disorders in Schizophrenia. In Stanghellini G. Aragona M. (eds) An Experiential Approach to Psychopathology. What is it like to suffer from mental disorders. New York; Springer: 2016 pp. 265-280.
36. Parnas J. A disappearing heritage: the clinical core of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2011; 37: 1121–30.
37. Parnas J. The core Gestalt of schizophrenia. World Psychiatry 2012; 11(2): 67–69.
38. Bovet P. Parnas J. Schizophrenic delusions: a phenomenological approach. Schizophr Bull 1993; 19: 579–597.
39. Parnas J. Handest P. Jansson L. Sæbye D. Anomalous subjective experience among first-admitted schizophrenia spectrum patients: empirical investigation. Psychopathology 2005b; 38: 259–267.
40. Raballo A. Sæbye D. Parnas J. Looking at the schizophrenia spectrum through the prism of self-disorders: an empirical study. Schizophr Bull 2011; 37: 344–351.
41. Raballo A. Parnas J. Examination of anomalous self-experience: Initial study of the structure of self-disorders in schizophrenia spectrum. J Nerv Ment Dis 2012; 200: 577–583.
42. Haug E. Lien L. Raballo A. Bratlien U. Øie M. Andreassen O.A. et al. Selective aggregation of self-disorders in first-treatment DSM-IV schizophrenia spectrum disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis 2012; 200: 632-636.
43. Nordgaard J. Parnas J. Self-disorders and schizophrenia-spectrum: A study of 100 first hospital admissions. Schizophr Bull 2014; 40: 1300–1307.
44. Parnas J. Handest P. Sæbye D. Jansson L. Anomalies of subjective experience in schizophrenia and psychotic bipolar illness. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2003; 108: 126–133.
45. Raballo A. Parnas J. The silent side of the spectrum: schizotypy and the schizotaxic self. Schizophr Bull 2011; 37: 1017–1026.
46. Koren D. Reznik N. Adres M. Scheyer R. Apter A. Steinberg T. et al. Disturbances of basic self and prodromal symptoms among nonpsy-chotic help-seeking adolescents. Psychol Med 2013; 43: 1365–76.
47. Raballo A. Pappagallo E. Dell’ Erba A. Lo Cascio N. Patane’ M. Gebhardt E. et al. Self-disorders and clinical high risk for psychosis: an empirical study in help-seeking youth attending Community mental health facilities. Schizophr Bull 2016; 42: 926-32.
48. Nelson B. Thompson A. Yung A.R. Basic self-disturbance predicts psychosis onset in the ultra high risk for psychosis ‘prodromal’ population. Schizophr Bull 2012; 38: 1277–1287.
49. Parnas J. Raballo A. Handest P. Jansson L. Vollmer-Larsen A. Sæbye D. Self-experience in the early phases of schizophrenia: 5-year follow-up of the Copenhagen Prodromal Study. World Psychiatry 2011; 10: 200–204.
50. Parnas J. Carter J. Nordgaard J. Premorbid self-disorders and lifetime diagnosis in the schizophrenia spectrum: a prospective high-risk study. Early Interv Psychiatry 2016; 10: 45-53.
51. Haug E. Øie M. Andreassen O.A. Bratlien U. Raballo A. Nelson B. et al. Anomalous self-experiences contribute independently to social dysfunction in the early phases of schizophrenia and psychotic bipolar disorder. Compr Psychiatry 2014; 55: 475–82.
52. Skodlar B. Parnas J. Self-disorder and subjective dimensions of suicidality in schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2010; 51: 363–6.
53. Haug E. Melle I. Andreassen O.A. Raballo A. Bratlien U. Øie M. et al. The association between anomalous self-experience and suicidality in first-episode schizophrenia seems mediated by depression. Compr Psychiatry 2012; 53: 456–60.
54. Haug E. Øie M. Melle I. Andreassen O.A. Raballo A. Bratlien U. et al. The association between self-disorders and neurocognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2012; 135: 79–83.
55. Nordgaard J. Revsbech R. Henriksen M.G. Self-disorders neurocognition and rationality in schizophrenia: A preliminary study. Psychopathology 2015; 48: 310–316.
56. Nordgaard J. Handest P. Vollmer-Larsen A. Sæbye D. Thejlade Pedersen J. Parnas J. Temporal persistence of anomalous self-experience: A 5 years follow-up. Schizophr Res 2017; 179: 36-40.
57. Maj M. The critique of DSM-IV operational criteria for schizophrenia. Brit J Psychiatry 1998; 172: 458–460.