The long-lasting training in medicine (more than 10 years) is still an attraction for many excellent students. Most of the evaluation forms during this training are based on theoretical and practical skills. However, could we be sure that the organizational climate provides the most appropriate environment for study and career development? We did a survey on 22 young doctors, residents in public health and management and/or epidemiology aiming at evaluating the personal management style and the management style within the organization (Adizes questionnaires: “Personal Test” and “Task Demands”). The management styles described by Adizes - Producer – Administrator – Entrepreneur – Integrator - and their expression as primary or secondary style were analyzed. We found that the young residents generally have a powerful expression of producer and entrepreneur as personal style, but they tend to become administrators within the organization, mostly during their first years of training.
1. European Institute Denmark – Property of Adizes Questionnaires Adizes / Task Demands, Adizes/Personal Test
2. Adizes, Ichak. How to Solve the Mismanagement Crisis. Dow Jones-Irwin, Homewood, Illinois, (1979).
3. Adizes, Ichak. The Ideal Executive: Why You Cannot Be One and What to Do About It. Adizes Institute Publishing., Santa Barbara, California, (2004),
4. Adizes, Ichak. Management/Mismanagement Styles: How to identify style and what to do about it. Adizes Institute Publishing,. Santa Barbara, California, (2004)
5. Adizes, Ichak. (2004b). Leading the Leaders: How to Enrich Your Style of Management and Handle People Whose Style is Different from Yours. Adizes Institute Publishing, Santa Barbara, California, (2004)
6. Adizes, Ichak.. Managing Corporate Lifecycles: How and Why Corporations Grow and Die and What to Do About It, Revised Ed. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA, (1999)