The paper presents a pull production mechanism that based on Kanban cards and a Heijunka panel. Based on this model, a game was developed that enables students to get a better understanding of pull production in manufacturing streams. The game is played in several rounds. Emphasis is laid upon the importance of work balance in manufacturing cells, as well as on the necessity to reduce the time required to switch production. The game also underlines the dependency between the number of cards in the process and the level of interoperational stocks. Last but not least, students are confronted with aspects of teamwork. Based on suggestions from the students and from the acquired experience, some ideas were formulated for the improvement of this educational activity.
1. Hilgard, E and G. Bower (1966). Theories of Learning. New York: Appleton Century-Crofts.
2. Thorndike, E (1999) . Education Psychology. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-21011-9.
3. Dukovska-Popovska, I, Hove-Madsen, V., Nielsen, K.B., Teaching lean thinking through game: some challenges, http://www.sefi.be/wp-content/abstracts/1092.pdf
4. Johnson, A., Drougas,A., Using Goldratt's Game to Introduce Simulation in the Introductory Operations Management Course, INFORMS Transcations on Education 3:1 (20-33).
5. Kumar, S., Panneerselvam, R., (2007), Literature review of JIT-KANBAN system, Int J Adv Manuf Technol 32: 393–408.
6. Matzka, J., Di Mascolo, M., Furmans, K., (2012) MODELS OF HEIJUNKA-LEVELLED KANBAN-SYSTEMS, J Intell Manuf 23:49–60.
7. Ncube, L. Exploring the application of experiential learning in developing technology and engineering concepts: The Lean Lemonade TycoonTM, 37th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 10 – 13, 2007, Milwaukee, WI, http://www.fie-conference.org/fie2007/papers/1406.pdf
8. Seligman, M. 1970. On the generality of the laws of learning. Psychological Review, 77, 406-418.
9. Shannon,P., Krumwiede, K., Street, J., Using Simulation to Explore Lean Manufacturing Implementation Strategies, Journal of Management Education 2010 34: 280, DOI: 10.1177/1052562909358964
10. Yazici, H.J. Simulation modeling of a facility layout in operations management classes, Sage Journals, Simulation Gaming 2006; vol. 37, no.1; 73-87,