Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a causative agent of infectious mononucleosis syndrome. This infection often resolves over a period of several months without outcomes, but may occasionally be complicated by a great variety of neurologic, hepatic, hematologic and respiratory complications. In the current report, we present the case histories of three patients with acute hepatitis following EBV infection when previously healthy. The patients showed fever, nausea, weakness, as well as yellowing of the skin, and then in the course of examination, sore throat. They were managed supportively and their clinical condition improved. Liver function tests such as ALT, AST, ALP, were undertaken and bilirubin were elevated. The serological tests for EBV infection were consistent with the acute phase of infection. The monospot test was also positive. The patients were managed supportively, and their critical condition was improved.
4. Oh SH et al. A Case of Ulcerative Colitis Following Acute Hepatitis Induced by Epstein-Barr Virus Infection. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2016;68:104.
5. Petrova M Kamburov V. Epstein-Barr virus: Silent companion or causative agent of chronic liver disease? World J. Gastroenterol. 2010;16:4130.
6. Yang SI et al. Clinical Characteristics of Primary Epstein Barr Virus Hepatitis with Elevation of Alkaline Phosphatase and γ-Glutamyltransferase in Children. Yonsei Med J. 2014;55:107.
7. Zhang W et al. Epstein-Barr Virus-Associated Acute Liver Failure Present in a 67-Year-Old Immunocompetent Female. Gastroenterol Res. 2016;9:74.
8. Xing Y et al. Chronic active Epstein-Barr virus infection associated with hemophagocytic syndrome and extra-nodal natural killer.T-cell lymphoma in an 18-year-old girl: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore)962017.
9. Lawee D. Mild infectious mononucleosis presenting with transient mixed liver disease: Case report with a literature review. Can Fam Physician. 2007;53:1314.
10. Packman CH. The Clinical Pictures of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. Transfus Med Hemother. 2015;42:317.
11. Becker JA Smith JA. Return to Play After Infectious Mononucleosis. Sports Health 2014;6:232.
12. Malhotra V et al. Infectious mononucleosis with secondary cold agglutinin disease causing autoimmune haemolytic anaemia. BMJ Case Rep 2009;bcr12.2008.1390.
13. Demirdal T Dermirtuk N. A rare presentation on EBV hepatitis. Eur J Gen Med. 2007;4:33.
14. Corrales I et al. Evaluation of the Architect Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) viral capsid antigen (VCA) IgG VCA IgM and EBV nuclear antigen 1 IgG chemiluminescent immunoassays for detection of EBV antibodies and categorization of EBV infection status using immunofluorescence assays as the reference method. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2014;21:684.
15. Crum NF. Epstein Barr virus hepatitis: case series and review. South Med J. 2006;99:544.