Adenomatosis is a rare lesion of unknown etiology, defined as multiple (usually 5 or more) adenomas in one kidney. A case of renal adenomatosis in a 68-year-old woman treated previously for urolithiasis, who underwent nephrectomy because of the nonfunctional left kidney is reported. Apart from multiple adenomas, numerous hyperplastic lesions involving single tubules were present in the resected kidney. Both adenomas and hyperplastic lesions exhibited the expression of alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme A racemase (AMACR). Renal adenomatosis is worth special attention, since renal papillary adenomas are suggested as precursor lesions of papillary renal cell carcinoma that show similar AMACR expression.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Moch H Humphrey PA Ulbright TM Reuter VE eds. World Health Organisation Classification of Tumors. Pathology and genetics of the urinary system and male genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press;2016:42-43.
2. Kizaki T Ugai K Hirano H Gohji K Fujii A. Renal adenomatosis associated with carcinoma of the lower urinary tract: a case report with immunohistochemical study. Pathol Int. 1999;49:235-240.
3. Passega E Marone C Pezzoli V Ghisletta M. Massive renal adenomatosis: a case exhibiting low-grade malignancy. Hum Pathol. 1987;18:859-863.
4. Spence GM Hirschowitz L Gallegos CR. Renal adenomatosis and unilateral hydronephrosis. BJU Int. 1999;84:380-381.
5. Menendez CL Pobes A Corte Torres MG Fuente E MerinoAM Corrales B et al. A case of acquired renal cystic disease (ACDK) with oncocytosis a dominant nodule (oncocytoma) multiple adenomas and microscopic papillary renal cell carcinoma associated with crescentic glomerulonephritis. Virchows Arch. 2007;450:365-367.
6. Kiyoshima K Oda Y Nakamura T Miqita T Okamura K Naito S et al. Multicentric papillary renal cell carcinoma associated with renal adenomatosis. Pathol Int. 2004;54:266-272.
7. Can B Uzner H Nural M Bűyűkalpelli. Incidentally detected renal adenomatosis in a patient with urolithiasis: a case report. Turk J Urol. 2013;39:56-60.
8. Wang KLWeinrach DM Luan C Han M Lin F Teh BT et al. Renal papillary adenoma - a putative precursor of renal cell carcinoma. Hum Pathol. 2007;38:239-246.