A rapid, simple and sensitive capillary zone electrophoresis method was developed for the simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan, in fixed-dose combinations, through the utilization of a UV photodiode array detector. Electrophoretic parameters such as buffer concentration and pH, system temperature, applied voltage and injection parameters, were optimized in order to improve the efficiency of the separation. The best results were obtained when employing fused silica capillary (48 cm length X 50 μm ID) and 50 mM phosphate buffer electrolyte at pH 4.50, + 25 kV applied voltage, as well as 25°C system temperature. The separation was achieved in approximately 3 minutes, with a resolution of 4.90, while the order of migration was amlodipine followed by telmisartan. The analytical performance of the method was verified with regard to linearity, precision and robustness. In addition, the limit of detection and the quantification were calculated.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alnajjar A.O.: Validation of a capillary electrophoresis method for the simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and valsartan in pharmaceuticals and human plasma. J. AOAC Int. 94 498 2011.
2. Chabukswar A.R. et al.: Simultaneous HPTLC estimation of telmisartan and amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form. Arch. Appl. Sci. Res. 2 94 2010.
3. Chrysant S.G.: Using fixed-dose combination therapies to achieve blood pressure goals. Clin. Drug Investig. 28 713 2008.
4. Ebeid W. et al.: Simultaneous determination of valsartan amlodipine besylate and hydrochlorothiazide using capillary zone electrophoresis (CZE). Pharmazie 70 368 2015.
5. Hefnawy M.M. Sultan M. Al-Johar H.: Development of capillary electrophoresis technique for simultaneous measurement of amlodipine and atorvastatin from their combination drug formulations. J. Liq. Chrom. Rel. Technol. 32 2923 2009.
6. Hillaert S. van de Bossche W.: Simultaneous determination of hydrochlorothiazide and several angiotensin-II-receptor antagonists by capillary electrophoresis. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 31 329 2003.
7. Hirpara K.P. et al.: UV spectrophotometric determination for simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in combination. J. Pharm. Sci. Bio. Res. 2 133 2012.
8. Kondawar M.S. et al.: UV spectrophotometric estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in bulk drug and dosage form by multiwavelenght analysis. Int. J. Pharm. Tech. Res. 3 1274 2011.
9. Rajeswari A. et al.: RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in tablet dosage forms. Int. J. Pharm. Res. Anal. 3 13 2013.
10. Ram C.V.: Fixed-dose triple-combination treatments in the management of hypertension. Manag. Care 22 45 2013.
11. Rowan C.G. et al.: Antihypertensive treatment and blood pressure control relative to hypertension treatment guidelines. Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug. Saf. 23 1294 2014.
12. Segura J. Ruilope L.M.: Clinical utility of fixed-combination telmisartan-amlodipine in the treatment of hypertension. Integr. Blood Press. Control. 4 27 2011.
13. Suresh Kumar G.V. Rajendraprasad Y.: Development and validation of reversed-phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and amlodipine in tablet dosage form. Int. J. Pharm. and Pharm. Sci. 2 128 2010.
14. Thomas A.B. et al.: Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in tablet dosage form. Int. J. Pharm. Tech. Res. 2 1334 2010.
15. Wan X. Ma P. Zhang X.: A promising choice in hypertension treatment: Fixed-dose combinations. Asian J. Pharm. Sci. 9 1 2014.