A 26 years old patient was admitted to hospital with complaints of abdominal pain and febrile temperature. Initially, elevated serum antigen CA-125, ascites and multiple suspicious nodules in the lungs and abdominal cavity on CT were found, thus, diagnosing ovarian cancer. However, after further preoperative examination, the diagnosis of infiltrative pulmonary tuberculosis with extrapulmonary involvement was set, thereby cancelling the surgery. The patient was treated with first-line antituberculosis agents and discharged home. Almost in all other cases, peritoneal tuberculosis is diagnosed only after surgical intervention.
1. Chen-Hsuan Wu, Chan-Chao Chang Chien, Chih-Wen Tseng, Hung-Yaw Chang, Yu-Che Ou, Hao Lin. Disseminated peritoneal tuberculosis simulating advanced ovarian cancer: A retrospective study of 17 cases // Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology // 2011; 292-296
2. Debi U, Ravisankar V, Prasad KK, Sinha SK, Sharma AK. Abdominal tuberculosis of the gastrointestinal tract // World Journal of Gastroenterology // 2014; 20(40):14831-14840
3. G.A. Belletti, A.E. Millán, A. López, et al. Pelvic tumor, elevated CA 125 level and tuberculosis // Medicina (B Aires) // 2005, 65 (2) 181–182
4. Kang SJ, Kim JW, Baek JH, et al. Role of ascites adenosine deaminase in differentiating between tuberculous peritonitis and peritoneal carcinomatosis // World Journal of Gastroenterology // 2012; 18(22):2837-2843.
5. Oge T, Ozalp SS, Yalcin OT, Kabukcuoglu S, Kebapci M, Arik D, Isikci T. Peritoneal tuberculosis mimicking ovarian cancer // Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. // 2012; 162(1):105-8
6. S. Koc, G. Beydilli, G. Tulunay, R. Ocalan, N. Boran, N. Ozgul, et al. Peritoneal tuberculosis mimicking advanced ovarian cancer: a retrospective review of 22 cases // Gynecol Oncol // 2006; 565–569
7. T.A. Panoskaltsis, D.A. Moore, D.A. Haidopoulos, A.G. McIndoe. Tuberculous peritonitis; part of the differential diagnosis in ovarian cancer // Am J Obstet Gynecol // 2000; 740–742
8. Zhang L, Chen Y, Liu WX, Wang K. Evaluating the clinical significances of serum HE4 with CA125 in peritoneal tuberculosis and epithelial ovarian cancer // Journal Citation Reports // 2016; 168-172