Refeeding Syndrome (RFS) is a potential life-threatening complication of the nutritional therapy in the replenishment phase after period of starvation. This not very known syndrome may be a life-threatening metabolic condition due to rapid, inadequate nutritional support in malnourished catabolic patients. The intake of food and therefore the switch from a catabolic to an anabolic metabolism is most considered etiological mechanism. The main biochemical feature of RFS is hypophosphatemia and low levels of potassium and magnesium. Lack of vitamins, especially vitamin B1 or thiamine is often present and involves severe clinical complications.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Boot R Koekkoek KWAC van Zanten ARH. Refeeding syndrome. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2018 Aug;24(4):235–40.
2. Aubry E Friedli N Schuetz P Stanga Z. Refeeding syndrome in the frail elderly population: prevention diagnosis and management. Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 2018 Jul;Volume 11:255–64.
3. Koekkoek WAC Van Zanten ARH. Is refeeding syndrome relevant for critically ill patients? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2018 Mar;21(2):130–7.
4. Mehanna HM Moledina J Travis J. Refeeding syndrome: what it is and how to prevent and treat it. Bmj. 2008;336(7659):1495–8.
5. Schuetz P Laviano A Friedli N Crook M Stanga Z Kressig RW et al. Management and prevention of refeeding syndrome in medical inpatients: An evidence-based and consensus-supported algorithm. Nutrition. 2017;47:13–20.
6. Rio A Whelan K Goff L Reidlinger DP Smeeton N. Occurrence of refeeding syndrome in adults started on artificial nutrition support: prospective cohort study. BMJ Open. 2013 Jan 1;3(1):e002173.
7. Crook M. Hally V Panteli J. The importance of the refeeding syndrome. Nutrition. 2001 Jul 1;17(7–8):632–7.
8. Stanga Z Brunner A Leuenberger M Grimble RF Shenkin A Allison SP et al. Nutrition in clinical practice—the refeeding syndrome: illustrative cases and guidelines for prevention and treatment. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jun 15;62(6):687–94.
9. Boateng AA Sriram K Meguid MM Crook M. Refeeding syndrome: Treatment considerations based on collective analysis of literature case reports. Nutrition. 2010 Feb;26(2):156–67.
10. Friedli N Stanga Z Sobotka L Culkin A Kondrup J Laviano A et al. Revisiting the refeeding syndrome: Results of a systematic review. Nutrition. 2017 Mar;35:151–60.
11. Walmsley RS. Refeeding syndrome: Screening incidence and treatment during parenteral nutrition. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;28(S4):113–7.
12. Pourhassan M Cuvelier I Gehrke I Mar-burger C Modreker MK Volkert D et al. Risk factors of refeeding syndrome in malnourished older hospitalized patients. Clin Nutr. 2018 Aug 1;37(4):1354–9.
13. Olthof LE Koekkoek WACK van Setten C Kars JCN van Blokland D van Zanten ARH. Impact of caloric intake in critically ill patients with and without refeeding syndrome: A retrospective study. Clin Nutr. 2018 Oct 1;37(5):1609–17.
14. Coşkun R Gündoğan K Baldane S Güven M Sungur M. Refeeding hypophosphatemia: a potentially fatal danger in the intensive care unit. Turkish J Med Sci. 2014;44(3):369–74.
15. Overview | Nutrition support for adults: oral nutrition support enteral tube feeding and parenteral nutrition | Guidance | NICE.
16. Bousie E van Blokland D Lammers HJW van Zanten ARH. Relevance of non-nutritional calories in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016 Dec 14;70(12):1443–50.