Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) has no specific treatment, the only effective therapy currently being limited to minimizing potentially harmful ventilation and avoiding a positive fluid balance. These treatments could not be completely effective in severe disease and several measures must be undertaken simultaneously, including pharmacological therapies aimed at correcting the etiology or targeting the pathogenesis. In this review article we provide update on pharmacological therapies in ARDS, showing their effect on outcome in recent trials.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Allen GB Parsons PE. Acute Respiratory Failure due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Pulmonary Edema. In: Irwin RS Lilly CM Mayo PH Rippe JM editors. Irwin and Rippe’s Intensive Care Medicine. 8th Editio. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2018. p. 1454–67.
2. Ruthman CA Festic E. Emerging Therapies for the Prevention of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2015;9(4):173–87.
3. Ware LB Bastarache JA Bernard GR. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. In: Vincent J-L Abraham E Moore FA Kochanek PM Fink MP editors. Textbook of Critical Care. 7th Editio. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2017. p. 413–23.
4. Rubenfeld G Caldwell E Peabody E Weaver J Martin DP Neff M et al. Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1685–93.
5. Goss C Brower R Hudson L Rubenfeld G Network A. Incidence of acute lung injury in the United States. Crit Care Med. 2003;31(6):1607–11.
6. Dries DJ. ARDS: From Syndrome to Disease. Prevention and Genomics. Air Med J. 2019;38:7–9.
7. Li G Malinchoc M Cartin-Ceba R Venkata CV Kor DJ Peters SG et al. Eight-year trend of acute respiratory distress syndrome: A population-based study in Olmsted County Minnesota. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183:59–66.
8. Ciesla DJ Moore EE Johnson JL. Decreased progression of postinjury lung dysfunction to the acute respiratory distress syndrome and multiple organ failure. Surgery. 2006;140(4):640–7.
9. Festic E Kor DJ Gajic O. Prevention of ARDS. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2015;21(1):82–90.
10. Siegel MD. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: Prognosis and outcomes in adults [Internet]. UpToDate. 2019. Available from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/acute-respiratory-distress-syndrome-prognosis-and-outcomes-in-adults/
11. Bellani G Laffey JG Pham T Fan E Bro-chard L Esteban A et al. Epidemiology Patterns of Care and Mortality for Patients With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Intensive Care Units in 50 Countries. JAMA. 2016;315(8):788–800.
12. Gajic O Dabbagh O Park PK Adesanya A Chang SY Hou P et al. Early identification of patients at risk of acute lung injury: evaluation of lung injury prediction score in a multicenter cohort study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183(4):462–70.
13. Beitler JR Schoenfeld D Thompson BT. Preventing ARDS: Progress Promise and Pitfalls. Chest. 2014;146(4):1102–13.
14. Agrawal A Matthay MA Kangelaris KN Stein J Chu JC Imp BM et al. Plasma angiopoietin-2 predicts the onset of acute lung injury in critically ill patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;187(7):736–42.
15. Festic E Bansal V Kor DJ Gajic O US Critical Illness and Injury Trials Group: Lung Injury Prevention Study Investigators (USCIITG-LIPS). SpO2/FiO2 ratio on hospital admission is an indicator of early acute respiratory distress syndrome development among patients at risk. J Intensive Care Med. 2013;30(4):209–16.
16. Zarbock A Singbartl K Ley K. Complete reversal of acid-induced acute lung injury by blocking of platelet-neutrophil aggregation. J Clin Invest. 2006;116(12):3211–9.
17. Looney MR Nguyen JX Hu Y Ziffle JA Lowell CA Matthay MA. Platelet depletion and aspirin treatment protect mice in a two-event model of transfusion-related acute lung injury. J Clin Invest. 2009;119(11):3450–61.
18. Ortiz-Muñoz G Mallavia B Bins A Headley M Krummel MF Looney MR. Aspirin-triggered 15-epi-lipoxin A4 regulates neutrophil-platelet aggregation and attenuates acute lung injury in mice. Blood. 2014 Oct;124(17):2625–34..
19. Melot C Lejeune P Naeije R Leeman M Hallemans R. Effects of increased pulmonary vascular tone on gas exchange in canine oleic acid pulmonary edema. J Appl Physiol. 2017;65(2):662–8.
20. Kor DJ Carter RE Park PK Festic E Banner-Goodspeed VM Hinds R et al. Effect of Aspirin on Development of ARDS in At-Risk Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department. The LIPS-A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016;315(22):2406–14.
21. Erlich JM Talmor D Cartin-Ceba R Gajic O Kor DJ. Prehospitalization antiplatelet therapy is associated with a reduced incidence of acute lung injury: a population-based cohort study. Chest. 2011;139(2):289–95.
22. Yadav H Thompson BT Gajic O. Fifty Years of R esearch in ARDS.Is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome a Preventable Disease? Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Mar 15;195(6):725–36.
23. Bone RC Fisher CJ Clemmer TP Slotman GJ Metz CA. Early methylprednisolone treatment for septic syndrome and the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Chest. 1987 Dec;92(6):1032–6.
24. Luce JM Montgomery AB Marks JD Turner J Metz CA Murray JF. Ineffectiveness of High-dose Methylprednisolone in Preventing Parenchymal Lung Injury and Improving Mortality in Patients with Septic Shock. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988 Jul;138(1):62–8.
25. Pirat A Zeyneloglu P Aldemir D Yücel M Ozen O Candan S et al. Pretreatment with simvastatin reduces lung injury related to intestinal ischemia-reperfusion in rats. Anesth Analg. 2006 Jan 1;102(1):225–32.
26. Yao H-W Mao L-G Zhu J-P. PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF PRAVASTATIN IN MURINE LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDE-INDUCED ACUTE LUNG INJURY. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2006 Sep 1;33(9):793–7.
27. OʼNeal HR Koyama T Koehler EAS Siew E Curtis BR Fremont RD et al. Prehospital statin and aspirin use and the prevalence of severe sepsis and acute lung injury/acute respiratory distress syndrome*. Crit Care Med. 2011 Jun;39(6):1343–50.
28. Bajwa EK Malhotra CK Thompson BT Christiani DC Gong MN. Statin therapy as prevention against development of acute respiratory distress syndrome: an observational study. Crit Care Med. 2012 May;40(5):1470–7.
29. Yadav H Lingineni RK Slivinski EJ Stockler KA Subramanian A Oderich GS et al. Preoperative Statin Administration Does Not Protect Against Early Postoperative Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Anesth Analg. 2014 Oct;119(4):891–8..
30. Xiong B Wang C Tan J Cao Y Zou Y Yao Y et al. Statins for the prevention and treatment of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Respirology. 2016 Aug 1;21(6):1026–33.
31. Idell S Kueppers F Lippmann M Rosen H Niederman M Fein A. Angiotensin converting enzyme in bronchoalveolar lavage in ARDS. Chest. 1987 Jan;91(1):52–6.
32. Marshall RP Gohlke P Chambers RC How-ell DC Bottoms SE Unger T et al. Angiotensin II and the fibroproliferative response to acute lung injury. Am J Physiol Cell Mol Physiol. 2004 Jan;286(1):L156–64.
33. Wösten-van Asperen RM Lutter R Haitsma JJ Merkus MP van Woensel JB van der Loos CM et al. ACE mediates ventilator-induced lung injury in rats via angiotensin II but not bradykinin. Eur Respir J. 2008 Feb 1;31(2):363–71.
34. Trillo-Alvarez C Kashyap R Kojicic M Li G Thakur S Cartin-Ceba R et al. Chronic Use of Angiotensin Pathway Inhibitors Is Associated with a Decreased Risk of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. In: C54 ALI/ARDS: DIAGNOSIS AND OUTCOMES. American Thoracic Society; 2009. p. A4638.
35. Watkins TR Lemos-Filho LB Dabbagh O Chang SY Park PK Gong MiN. Use Of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors Or Angiotensin Receptor Blockers And Clinical Outcomes Among Patients At-risk For Acute Lung Injury. In: D16 EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ACUTE LUNG INJURY. American Thoracic Society; 2011. p. A5598–A5598.
36. Tagliaferri S Porri D De Giuseppe R Manuelli M Alessio F Cena H. The controversial role of vitamin D as an antioxidant: results from randomised controlled trials. Nutr Res Rev. 2018 Oct;1–7.
37. Thickett DR Moromizato T Litonjua AA Amrein K Quraishi SA Lee-Sarwar KA et al. Association between prehospital vitamin D status and incident acute respiratory failure in critically ill patients: a retrospective cohort study. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2015 Jun;2(1):e000074.
38. Dancer RCA Parekh D Lax S D’Souza V Zheng S Bassford CR et al. Vitamin D deficiency contributes directly to the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Thorax. 2015 Jul;70(7):617–24.
39. Park S Lee MG Hong SB Lim CM Koh Y Huh JW. Effect of vitamin D deficiency in korean patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Korean J Intern Med. 2018;33(6):1129–36.
40. Tanaka K-I Sugizaki T Kanda Y Tamura F Niino T Kawahara M. Preventive Effects of Carnosine on Lipopolysaccharide-induced Lung Injury. Sci Rep. 2017 Dec;7(1):42813.
41. Christie JD Vaslef S Chang PK May AK Gunn SR Yang S et al. A Randomized Dose-Escalation Study of the Safety and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of the p38 Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Inhibitor Dilmapimod in Severe Trauma Subjects at Risk for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2015 Sep;43(9):1859–69.
42. Barratt S Medford AR Millar AB. Vascular endothelial growth factor in acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Respiration. 2014;87(4):329–42.
43. Jansson A-H Eriksson C Wang X. Effects of budesonide and N-acetylcysteine on acute lung hyperinflation inflammation and injury in rats. Vascul Pharmacol. 2005 Aug;43(2):101–11.
44. Festic E Carr GE Cartin-Ceba R Hinds RF Banner-Goodspeed V Bansal V et al. Randomized Clinical Trial of a Combination of an Inhaled Corticosteroid and Beta Agonist in Patients at Risk of Developing the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2017 May;45(5):798–805.
45. Young E. The anti-inflammatory effects of heparin and related compounds. Thromb Res. 2008 Jan;122(6):743–52.
46. Miller AC Elamin EM Suffredini AF. Inhaled Anticoagulation Regimens for the Treatment of Smoke Inhalation–Associated Acute Lung Injury. Crit Care Med. 2014 Feb;42(2):413–9.
47. Slutsky AS. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents in ARDS. N Engl J Med. 2010 Sep;363(12):1176–80.
48. He T Tao J Wang X Wang X. Effects of cisatracurium in combination with ventilation on inflammatory factors and immune variations in sepsis rats. Exp Ther Med. 2018 Mar;15(5):4414–8.
49. Sottile PD Albers D Moss MM. Neuromuscular blockade is associated with the attenuation of biomarkers of epithelial and endothelial injury in patients with moderate-to-severe acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care. 2018 Dec;22(1):63.
50. Ianaro A Ialenti A Maffia P Sautebin L Rombolà L Carnuccio R et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of macrolide antibiotics. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000;292(1):156–63.
51. Tamaoki J Kondo M Kohri K Aoshiba K Tagaya E Nagai A. Macrolide antibiotics protect against immune complex-induced lung injury in rats: role of nitric oxide from alveolar macrophages. J Immunol (Baltimore Md 1950). 1999;163(5):2909–15.
52. Cramer CL Patterson A Alchakaki A Sou-bani AO. Immunomodulatory indications of azithromycin in respiratory disease: a concise review for the clinician. Postgrad Med. 2017;129(5):493–9.
53. Hara K Shirai R Sakito O Abe K Kohno S Kadota J. Interleukin 1β Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha and Interleukin 8 in Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid of Patients with Diffuse Panbronchiolitis: A Potential Mechanism of Macrolide Therapy. Respiration. 2009;63(1):42–8.
54. Walkey AJ Wiener RS. Macrolide antibiotics and survival in patients with acute lung injury. Chest. 2012;141(5):1153–9.
55. Kawamura K Ichikado K Takaki M Sakata Y Yasuda Y Shingu N et al. Efficacy of azithromycin in sepsis-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome: a retrospective study and propensity score analysis. Springerplus. 2016;5(1):1–7.
56. Bos LD Simonis FD van der Poll T Ong DSY de Iudicibus G Cremer OL et al. Macrolide therapy is associated with reduced mortality in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) patients. Ann Transl Med. 2018;6(2):24–24.
57. Cakarova L Marsh LM Wilhelm J Mayer K Grimminger F Seeger W et al. Macrophage tumor necrosis factor-α induces epithelial expression of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor: Impact on alveolar epithelial repair. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180(6):521–32.
58. Rösler B Herold S. Lung epithelial GMCSF improves host defense function and epithelial repair in influenza virus pneumonia—a new therapeutic strategy? Mol Cell Pediatr. 2016;3(1).
59. Ballinger MN Paine R Serezani CHC Aronoff DM Choi ES Standiford TJ et al. Role of granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor during gram-negative lung infection with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006;34(6):766–74.
60. Paine R Standiford TJ Dechert RE Moss M Martin GS Rosenberg AL et al. A randomized trial of recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor for patients with acute lung injury*. Crit Care Med. 2012 Jan;40(1):90–7.
61. Zhang M Jativa DF. Vitamin C supplementation in the critically ill: A systematic review and meta-analysis. SAGE open Med. 2018;6:2050312118807615.
62. Bharara A Grossman C Grinnan D Syed A Fisher B DeWilde C et al. Intravenous Vitamin C Administered as Adjunctive Therapy for Recurrent Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Case Reports Crit Care. 2016;2016:1–4.
63. Res Respir Med Open PJ Kim C Debesa O Nicolato P Fisher B Natarajan R et al. PULMONARY RESEARCH AND RESPIRATORY MEDICINE Vitamin C Infusion for Gastric Acid Aspiration-Induced Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Article History Citation. J. 2017;4(2):33–7.
64. Fowler III AA Kim C Lepler L Malhotra R Debesa O Natarajan R et al. Intravenous vitamin C as adjunctive therapy for enterovirus/rhinovirus induced acute respiratory distress syndrome. World J Crit Care Med. 2017 Feb 4;6(1):85.
65. Jain M Chandel NS. Rethinking Antioxidants in the Intensive Care Unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Dec 1;188(11):1283–5.
66. Mitsopoulos P Omri A Alipour M Vermeulen N Smith MG Suntres ZE. Effectiveness of liposomal-N-acetylcysteine against LPS-induced lung injuries in rodents. Int J Pharm. 2008 Nov;363(1–2):106–11.
67. Chen C Guan X Quinn DA Ouyang B. N-Acetylcysteine Inhibits Ventilation-Induced Collagen Accumulation in the Rat Lung. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2015;236(4):255–61.
68. Adhikari NK Burns KE Meade MO Ratnapalan M. Pharmacologic therapies for adults with acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004 Oct 18;(4):CD004477.
69. Szakmany T Hauser B Radermacher P. N-acetylcysteine for sepsis and systemic inflammatory response in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Sep 12;(9):CD006616.
70. Zhang Y Ding S Li C Wang Y Chen Z Wang Z. Effects of N-acetylcysteine treatment in acute respiratory distress syndrome: A meta-analysis. Exp Ther Med. 2017 Oct;14(4):2863–8.
71. Heyland D Muscedere J Wischmeyer PE Cook D Jones G Albert M et al. A Randomized Trial of Glutamine and Antioxidants in Critically Ill Patients. N Engl J Med. 2013 Apr 18;368(16):1489–97.
72. Oliveira GP de Abreu MG Pelosi P Rocco PRM. Exogenous Glutamine in Respiratory Diseases: Myth or Reality? Nutrients. 2016 Feb 4;8(2):76.
73. Traber MG Atkinson J. Vitamin E antioxidant and nothing more. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007 Jul 1;43(1):4–15.
74. Nathens AB Neff MJ Jurkovich GJ Klotz P Farver K Ruzinski JT et al. Randomized prospective trial of antioxidant supplementation in critically ill surgical patients. Ann Surg. 2002 Dec;236(6):814–22.
75. Crimi E Liguori A Condorelli M Cioffi M Astuto M Bontempo P et al. The Benefi-cial Effects of Antioxidant Supplementation in Enteral Feeding in Critically Ill Patients: A Prospective Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. Anesth Analg. 2004 Sep;99(3):857–63.
76. Kawata A Murakami Y Suzuki S Fujisawa S. Anti-inflammatory Activity of β-Carotene Lycopene and Tri-n-butylborane a Scavenger of Reactive Oxygen Species. In Vivo. 2018;32(2):255–64.
77. Rice TW Wheeler AP Thompson BT de-Boisblanc BP Steingrub J Rock P et al. Enteral omega-3 fatty acid gamma-linolenic acid and antioxidant supplementation in acute lung injury. JAMA. 2011 Oct 12;306(14):1574–81.
78. Calder PC. n−3 Fatty acids inflammation and immunity— Relevance to postsurgical and critically III patients. Lipids. 2004 Dec 1;39(12):1147–61.
79. Singer P Theilla M Fisher H Gibstein L Grozovski E Cohen J. Benefit of an enteral diet enriched with eicosapentaenoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid in ventilated patients with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 2006 Apr 1;34(4):1033–8.
80. Chen M Lu J Chen Q Cheng L Geng Y Jiang H et al. [Statin in the treatment of ALI/ARDS: a systematic review and Meta-analysis based on international databases]. Zhonghua Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2017;29(1):51–6..
81. Nagendran M McAuley DF Kruger PS Papazian L Truwit JD Laffey JG et al. Statin therapy for acute respiratory distress syndrome: an individual patient data meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Intensive Care Med. 2017 May 21;43(5):663–71.
82. Feng Y. Efficacy of statin therapy in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome/acute lung injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2018 May;22(10):3190–8.
83. Davidson WJ Dorscheid D Spragg R Schulzer M Mak E Ayas NT. Exogenous pulmonary surfactant for the treatment of adult patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: results of a meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2006;10(2):R41.
84. Meng S-S Chang W Lu Z-H Xie J-F Qiu H-B Yang Y et al. Effect of surfactant administration on outcomes of adult patients in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Pulm Med. 2019 Dec 9;19(1):9.
85. Ware LB Matthay MA. Keratinocyte and hepatocyte growth factors in the lung: roles in lung development inflammation and repair. Am J Physiol Cell Mol Physiol. 2002 May;282(5):L924–40.
86. Shyamsundar M McAuley DF Ingram RJ Gibson DS O’Kane D McKeown ST et al. Keratinocyte Growth Factor Promotes Epithelial Survival and Resolution in a Human Model of Lung Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014 Jun 15;189(12):1520–9.
87. HASHIMOTO S OKAYAMA Y SHIME N KIMURA A FUNAKOSHI Y KAWABATA K et al. Neutrophil elastase activity in acute lung injury and respiratory distress syndrome. Respirology. 2008 Jun;13(4):581–4.
88. Zeiher BG Artigas A Vincent J-L Dmitrienko A Jackson K Thompson BT et al. Neutrophil elastase inhibition in acute lung injury: results of the STRIVE study. Crit Care Med. 2004 Aug;32(8):1695–702.
89. Iwata K Doi A Ohji G Oka H Oba Y Takimoto K et al. Effect of neutrophil elastase inhibitor (sivelestat sodium) in the treatment of acute lung injury (ALI) and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Intern Med. 2010;49(22):2423–32.
90. Mutlu GM Dumasius V Burhop J McShane PJ Meng FJ Welch L et al. Upregulation of Alveolar Epithelial Active Na + Transport Is Dependent on β 2 -Adrenergic Receptor Signaling. Circ Res. 2004 Apr 30;94(8):1091–100.
91. Sartori C Allemann Y Duplain H Lepori M Egli M Lipp E et al. Salmeterol for the Prevention of High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema. N Engl J Med. 2002 May 23;346(21):1631–6.
92. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Clinical Trials Network TN Matthay MA Brower RG Carson S Douglas IS Eisner M et al. Randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of an aerosolized β2-agonist for treatment of acute lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Sep 1;184(5):561–8.
93. Gao Smith F Perkins GD Gates S Young D McAuley DF Tunnicliffe W et al. Effect of intravenous β-2 agonist treatment on clinical outcomes in acute respiratory distress syndrome (BALTI-2): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet (London England). 2012 Jan 21;379(9812):229–35.
94. Abraham E Park YC Covington P Conrad SA Schwartz M. Liposomal prostaglandin E1 in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a placebo-controlled randomized double-blind multicenter clinical trial. Crit Care Med. 1996 Jan;24(1):10–5.
95. Abraham E Baughman R Fletcher E Heard S Lamberti J Levy H et al. Liposomal prostaglandin E1 (TLC C-53) in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a controlled randomized double-blind multicenter clinical trial. TLC C-53 ARDS Study Group. Crit Care Med. 1999 Aug;27(8):1478–85.
96. Fuller BM Mohr NM Skrupky L Fowler S Kollef MH Carpenter CR. The use of inhaled prostaglandins in patients with ARDS: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest. 2015 Jun;147(6):1510–22.
97. Rossaint R Falke KJ Lopez F Slama K Pison U Zapol WM. Inhaled Nitric Oxide for the Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1993 Feb 11;328(6):399–405.
98. Gebistorf F Karam O Wetterslev J Afshari A. Inhaled nitric oxide for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in children and adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Jun 27;(6).
99. Welty-Wolf KE Carraway MS Ortel TL Piantadosi CA. Coagulation and inflammation in acute lung injury. Thromb Haemost. 2002 Jul;88(1):17–25.
100.Ware LB Matthay MA Parsons PE Thompson BT Januzzi JL Eisner MD et al. Pathogenetic and prognostic signifi-cance of altered coagulation and fibrinolysis in acute lung injury/acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2007 Aug;35(8):1821–8.
101.Cornet AD Groeneveld ABJ Hofstra JJ Vlaar AP Tuinman PR van Lingen A et al. Recombinant human activated protein C in the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome: a randomized clinical trial. PLoS One. 2014;9(3):e90983.