Cystic fibrosis related diabetes (CFRD) is a redoubtable complication associated to cystic fibrosis, with an increasing frequency, directly proportional to children life expectancy. Although this complication has similar features with DM type 1 and some with type 2, the evolution and even the response to insulin therapy is different. It is also possible that other factors to influence the CFRD clinical expression and subsequently the disease evolution. Since its 1t diagnosis was associated with more frequent pulmonary exacerbations and with the deterioration of the respiratory status, therefore CFRD must be early and correctly diagnosed and managed. The aim of this paper is to present an overview of the recent updates and recommendations regarding this important CF complication.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Southern KW Munck A Pollitt R Travert G Zanolla L Dankert-Roelse J et al. A survey of newborn screening for cystic fibrosis in Europe. J Cyst Fibros. 2007;6:57–65.
2. Popa I Pop L Popa Z Schwarz MJ Hambleton G Malone GM et al. Cystic fibrosis mutations in Romania. Eur J Pediatr. 1997;156:212–213.
3. O’Sullivan BP Freedman SD. Cystic fibrosis. Lancet. 2009 May;373(9678):1891–904.
4. Ciuca IM Pop L Ranetti A. Popescu I.M et all Ursodeoxicholic acid effects on cystic fibrosis liver disease Farmacia 63: 543-547
5. Ciuca IM Pop LL Rogobete AF Onet DI Guta-Almajan B Popa Z et al. Genetic Expression in Cystic Fibrosis Related Bone Disease. An Observational Transversal Cross-Sectional Study. Clin Lab. 2016;62(9):1725–30.
6. Marshall BC Butler SM Stoddard M Moran AM Liou TG Morgan WJ et al. Epidemiology of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes. J Pediatr. 2005;146:681–687
7. Moran A Becker D Casella SJ Gottlieb PA Kirkman MS Marshall BC et al. Epidemiology pathophysiology and prognostic implications of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes: A technical review. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2677–2683.
8. Moran A Pillay K Becker DJ Acerini CL. Management of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes in children and adolescents. Pediatr Diabetes. 2014;15:65–76.
9. Moran A Brunzell C Cohen RC Katz M Marshall BC Onady G et al. Clinical care guidelines for cystic fibrosis-related diabetes: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a clinical practice guideline of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation endorsed by the Pediatric Endocrine Society. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2697–2708.
10. Lanng S Hansen A Thorsteinsson B Nerup J Koch C. Glucose tolerance in patients with cystic fibrosis: five year prospective study. BMJ. 1995;311:655–659
11. Brunzell C. Hardin D.S. Kogler A. Moran A. Schindler T. Managing Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetets (CFRD) - An Instruction Guide for Patients and Families. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. 2015; 10.
12. Sinaasappel M Stern M Littlewood J Wolfe S Steinkamp G Heijerman HGM et al. Nutrition in patients with cystic fibrosis: A European Consensus. Vol. 1 J Cystic Fibros 2002; 1:51–75
13. Engelen MPKJ Com G Deutz NEP. Protein is an important but undervalued macronutrient in the nutritional care of patients with cystic fibrosis. Vol. 17 Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 2014;7:515–520.
14. Gaskin KJ. Nutritional care in children with cystic fibrosis: Are our patients becoming better? Vol. 67 European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013; 67 :558–564
15. Matel JL. Nutritional management of cystic fibrosis. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2012; 36: 60S-70S
16. Brunzell C. Hardin D.S. Kogler A. Moran A. Schindler T. Managing Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetets (CFRD) - An Instruction Guide for Patients and Families. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. 2015; 35.
17. Sunni M Bellin MD Moran A. Exogenous insulin requirements do not differ between youth and adults with cystic fi-brosis related diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes. 2013;14(4):295–298
18. Moran A Pekow P Grover P Zorn M Slovis B Pilewski J et al. Insulin therapy to improve BMI in cystic fibrosis-related diabetes without fasting hyperglycemia: Results of the cystic fibrosis related diabetes therapy trial. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:1783–1788
19. Moran A Pillay K Becker D Granados A Hameed S Acerini CL. ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines 2018: Management of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes in children and adolescents. Pediatr Diabetes. 2018;19: 64–74