Municipalities are responsible for solid waste collectiont for environmental, social and economic purposes. Practices of municipalities should be effective and efficient, with the objectives of reducing the total incurred costs in the solid waste collection network concurrently achieving the highest service level. This study aims at finding the best routes of solid waste collection network in Nablus city-Palestine. More specifically, the study seeks the optimal route that minimizes the total travelled distance by the trucks and hence the resulted costs. The current situation is evaluated and the problem is modelled as a Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP). The VRP is then optimized via a genetic algorithm. Specifically, compared to the current situation, the trucks total travelled distance was reduced by 66%, whereas the collection time was reduced from 7 hours per truck-trip to 2.3 hours. The findings of this study is useful for all municipality policy makers that are responsible for solid waste collection.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abdelli I. Abdelmalek F. Djelloul A. Mesghouni K. Addou A.: GISbased approach for optimized collection of household waste in Mostaganem city (Western Algeria). Waste Management & Research 2016 34 (5) 417-426.
2. Aguiar T. Carravilla A. Oliveira J.: Municipal waste collection in Ponte de Lima Portugal - A vehicle routing application. OR Insights 2011 25 (4) 185-198.
3. Alshraideh H. Abu Qdais H.: Stochastic modeling and optimization of medical waste collection in Northern Jordan. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 2016 1-11.
4. Amponsah S. Salhi S.: The investigation of a class of capacitated arc routing problems: the collection of garbage in developing countries. Waste Management 2004 24 711-721.
5. Bing X. Keizer M. Ruwaard J. Vorst J.: Vehicle routing for the ecoefficient collection of household plastic waste. Waste Management 2014 34 719-729.
6. Bolaane B. Isaac E.: Privatization of solid waste collection services: Lessons from Gaborone. Waste Management 2015 4014-21.
7. Bonomo F. Duran G. Larumbe F. Marenco J.: A method for optimizing waste collection using mathematical programming: a Buenos Aires case study. Waste Management & Research 2012 30 (3) 311-324.
8. Buhrkal K. Larsen A. Ropke S.: The waste collection vehicle routing problem with time windows in a city logistics context. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012 39 241-254.
9. Detofeno T. Steiner M.: Optimizing routes for the collection of urban solid waste: a case study for the City of Joinville State of Santa Catarina. Iberoamerican Journal of Industrial Engineering 2010 2 124-136.
10. Dror M. Arc Routing: Theory Solutions and Applications 1st ed. Kluwer Academic Press 2001.
11. El-Hamouz A.: Logistical management and private sector involvement in reducing the cost of municipal solid waste collection service in the Tubas are 2008.
12. Eliana M. Toro O. Antonio H. Escobar Z. Mauricio E.: Literature review on the vehicle routing problem in the green transportation context. Revista Luna Azul 2016 42 362-387.
13. Forouhar A. Hristovski K.: Characterization of the municipal solid waste stream in Kabul Afghanistan. Habitat International 2012 36 406-413.
14. Gallardo A. Carlos M. Peris M. Colomer F.: Methodology to design a municipal solid waste pre-collection system. A case study. Waste Management 2015 36 1-11.
15. Garrido R. Bronfman A.: Equity and social acceptability in multiple hazardous materials routing through urban areas. Transportation Research Part A In press 2016.
16. Han H. Cueto E.: Waste Collection Vehicle Routing Problem: Literature Review. Traffic Engineering Review 2015 27 (4) 345-358.
17. Hemmelmayr V. Doerner K. Hartl R. Rath S.: A heuristic solution method for node routing based solid waste collection problems. Journal of Heuristics 2013 19 129-156.
18. Huang S. Lin P.: Vehicle routing-scheduling for municipal waste collection system under the “Keep Trash off the Ground” policy. Omega 2015 55 24-37.
19. Huang Y. Pan T. Kao J.: Performance assessment for municipal solid waste collection in Taiwan. Journal of Environmental Management 2011 92 1277-1283.
20. Karadimas N. Papatzelou K. Loumos Vassili G.: Optimal solid waste collection routes identified by the ant colony system algorithm. Waste Management and Research 2007 25 (2) 139-147.
21. Karakatic S. and Podgorelec V.: A survey of genetic algorithms for solving multi depot vehicle routing problem. Applied Soft Computing (2015) 27(0):519 - 532.
22. Kim B. Kim S. Sahoo S.: Waste collection vehicle routing problem with time windows Computers and Operations Research 2006 33 3624-3642.
23. Kinobe J. Bosona T. Gebresenbet G. Niwagaba C. Vinneras B.: Optimization of waste collection and disposal in Kampala city. Habitat International 201549 126-137.
24. Koc C. Bektas T. Jabali O. Laporte G.: Thirty years of heterogeneous vehicle routing. European Journal of Operational Research 2016 249 1-21.
25. Li H. Lv T. Lu Y.: The combination truck routing problem: a survey. Procedia Engineering 2016 137 639 - 648.
26. Li J. Borenstein D. Mirchandania P.: Truck scheduling for solidwaste collection in the City of Porto Alegre Brazil. Omega 2008 36 1133-1149.
27. Lin C. Choy K. Ho G. Chung S. Lam H.: Survey of Green Vehicle Routing Problem: Past and future trends. Expert Systems with Applications. 2014 41 1118-1138.
28. Lohri C. Camenzind E. Zurbrugg C.: Financial sustainability in municipal solid waste management - Costs and revenues in Bahir Dar Ethiopia. Waste Management 2014 34 542-552.
29. Mes M. Schutten M. Rivera A.: Inventory routing for dynamic waste collection. Waste Management 2014 34 1564-1576.
30. Moon I. Lee J. Seong J.: Vehicle routing problem with time windows considering overtime and outsourcing vehicles. Expert Systems with Applications 2012 39 13202-13213.
31. of the West Bank. Waste Management 28 260-271.
32. Paul K. Dutta A. Krishna A.: A comprehensive study on solid waste vehicle routing and tracking - a case study on Kolkata city. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 2016 20 (1) 137-144.
33. Prodhon C. Prins C.: A survey of recent research on location-routing problems. European Journal of Operational Research 2014 238 1-17.
34. Rada E. Ragazzi M. Fedrizzi P.: Web-GIS oriented systems viability for municipal solid waste selective collection optimization in developed and transient economies. Waste Management 2013 33 785-792.
35. Ravindra K. Kaur K. Mor S.: System analysis of municipal solid waste management in Chandigarh and minimization practices for cleaner emissions. Journal of Cleaner Production 2015 93 251-256.
36. Reisabadi E. Mirmohammadi S.: Site dependent vehicle routing problem with soft time window: Modeling and solution approach. Computers & Industrial Engineering 2015 90 177-185.
37. Rexhepi A. Maxhuni A. Dika A.: Analysis of the impact of parameters values on the Genetic Algorithm for TSP. International Journal of Computer Science 2013 Vol. 10 Issue 3 No. 1 158-164.
38. Shirazi M. Samieifard R. Abduli M. Omidvar B.: Mathematical modeling in municipal solid waste management: case study of Tehran. Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering 2016 14 (8) 1-12.
39. Tavares G. Zsigraiova Z. Semiao V. Carvalho M.: A case study of fuel savings through optimization of MSW transportation routes. Management of Environmental Quality: International Journal 2008 19 (4) 444-454.
40. Vecchi T. Surco D. Constantion A. Steiner M. Jorge L. Ravagnani M. Paraiso P.: A sequential approach for the optimization of truck routes for solid waste collection. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 2016 102 238-250.
41. Vidovic M. Ratkovic B. Bjelic N. Popovic D.: A two-echelon locationrouting model for designing recycling logistics networks with profit: MILP and heuristic approach. Expert Systems with Applications 2016 51 34-48.
42. Xie B. Li Y. Jin L.: Vehicle routing optimization for deicing salt spreading in winter highway maintenance. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2013 96 945 - 953.
43. Yao L. He W. Li G. Huang J.: The integrated design and optimization of a WEEE collection network in Shanghai China. Waste Management & Research 2013 31 (9) 910-919.
44. Yu H. Slovang W.: Route planning of municipal solid waste management: a methodology and literature review. International Journal of Energy Environment and Economics 2015 23 (1) 1-23.