Steel I-section members subjected to compression a monoaxial bending about the major axis are dealt with in this paper. The current Eurocode’s design procedure of such members is based on a set of two interpolation equations. In this paper a simple and yet consistent Ayrton-Perry methodology is presented that for beam-columns yields the Ayrton-Perry design strategy similar to that utilized in the steel Eurocodes for design of beams and columns but not used so far for the beam-column design. The results from developed design criterion are compared with those of Method 1 of Eurocode 3 and the Ayrton-Perry formulation of a different format that has been recently published.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Eurocode 3. EN 1993-1-1: Design of Steel Structures, Pat 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, CEN 2005.
2. Gizejowski M., Stachura Z.: Buckling strength of a steel multi-storey framework according to Eurocode’s general method. In: Recent Progress in Steel and Composite Structures (eds. M. Gizejowski, A. Kozlowski, J. Marcinowski & J. Ziolko), London. Taylor & Francis Group 2016, 154-155, e-book on CD, 381-391.
3. Gizejowski M., Stachura Z.: Generalized Ayrton-Perry approach for the evaluation of beam-column resistance. In: Insights and Innovations in Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation (ed. A. Zingoni), London, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016, 253-254, e-book on CD, 713-719.
4. Gizejowski M.A., Stachura Z., Gajewski M.D., Szczerba R.B.: A new method of buckling resistance evaluation of laterally restrained beam-columns. In: Recent Progress in Steel and Composite Structures (eds. M.A. Gizejowski, A. Kozlowski, J. Marcinowski & J. Ziolko), London, Taylor & Francis Group 2016, 102-103, e-book on CD, 197-205.
5. Gizejowski M.A., Stachura Z., Uziak J.: Elastic flexural-torsional buckling of beams and beam-columns as a basis for stability design of members with discrete rigid restraints. In: Insights and Innovations in Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation (ed. A. Zingoni), London, Taylor & Francis Group 2016, 261-262, e-book on CD, 738-744.
6. Gizejowski M.A., Szczerba R.B., Gajewski M.D., Stachura Z.: Beam-column in-plane resistance based on the concept of equivalent geometric imperfections. Archives of Civil Engineering, 62, 4 (2016) 35-71.
7. Gizejowski M.A., Szczerba R.B., Gajewski M.D., Stachura Z.: Buckling resistance assessment of steel I-section beam-columns not susceptible to LT-buckling. Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 17, 2 (2017) 205-221.
8. Papp F.: Buckling assessment of steel members through overall imperfection method. Engineering Structures 106 (2016) 124-136.
9. Simoes da Silva L., Marques L., Rebelo C.: Numerical validation of the general method in EC3-1-1 for prismatic members. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66 (2010) 575-590.
10. Simoes da Silva L., Simoes R., Gervasio H.: Design of Steel Structures, 2nd Edition, Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures, Pat 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, ECCS, Ernst & Sohn 2016.
11. Stachura Z., Gizejowski M.: Partial factors in modelling of steel structures reliability according to Eurocodes. Civil and Environmental Engineering Reports, Zielona Góra, University of Zielona Góra Press, 16, 1 (2015) 195-207.
12. Tankova T., Marques L., Andrade A., Simoes da Silva L.: A consistent methodology for the out-of-plane buckling resistance of prismatic steel beam-columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 128 (2017) 839-852.
13. Taras A., Greiner R.: New design curves for lateral-torsional buckling-Proposal based on a consistent derivation. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66, 5 (2010) 648-663.
14. Trahair N.S.: Flexural-Torsional Buckling of Structures. Boca Raton, CRC Press Inc. 1993.