The aim of the investigations was to estimate the half-life of selected PAHs in sewage sludge. Five hydrocarbons selected from 16 PAHs- EPA were chosen. In this study, the quantity changes in the concentration 3- and 4-ring of PAHs in sewage sludges were investigated. Sewage sludges were stored under aerobic conditions for 12 weeks. At the same time the sewage sludges with the added sodium azide, in order to deactivate the microorganisms (abiotic samples), were also stored. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry was used to qualify and quantify PAHs in 2-week intervals. Sewage sludges were taken from a municipal wastewater treatment plant. Under experimental conditions the half-lives of individual compounds were diversed. In biotic samples halflife of hydrocarbons was in the range of 19 to 368 days. Half-life of PAHs in abiotic sewage sludges was in the range of 31 to 2961 days. The most persistent were phenanthrene.
1. Ambrosoli R., Petruzzelli L., Minati J.L., Marsan F. A.: Anaerobic PAH degradation in soil by a mixed bacterial consortium under denitrifying conditions, Chemosphere, 60, 1231-1236 (2005).
2. Bernal-Martinez A., Carrere H., Patureau D., Delegens J P.: Combining anaerobic digestion and ozonation to remove PAH from urban sludge, Process of Biochemistry, 40, 3244-3250 (2005).
3. Bernal-Martinez A., Patureau D., Delegens J P., Carrere H.: Removal of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) during anaerobic digestion with recirculation of ozonated sewage sludge, Journal of Hazardous Material, 162, 1145-1150 (2009).
4. Chang B.V., Chang S.W., Yuan S.Y.: Anaerobic degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sludge, Advances in Environmental Research, 7, 623-628 (2003).
5. Enell A., Reichenberg F., Warfvinge P., Ewald G.: A column method for determination of leaching of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from aged contaminated soil, Chemosphere, 54, 707-715 (2004).
6. Regulation (EC) No 850/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004on persistent organic pollutants and amending Directive 79/117/EEC
7. Haftka J.J.H., Govers H.A.J., Parsons J.R.: Influence of temperature and origin of dissolved organic matter on the partitioning behavior of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, Environmental Science Pollution Research, 17, 1070-1079 (2010)
8. Hua L., Wu W-X., Lin Y-X., Tientchen C.M., Chen Y-X.: Heavy metals and PAHs in sewage sludge from twelve wastewater treatment plants in Zhejiang Province, Biomedical and Environmental Science, 21, 345-352 (2008).
9. Lee E-H., Kim J., Cho K-S., Ahn Y-G., Hwang G-S.: Degradation of hexane and other recalcitrant hydrocarbons by a novel isolate Rhodococcus sp.EH 831, Environmental Science Pollution Research, 17, 64-77 (2010)
10. Maliszewska-Kordybach B.: Stability of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil, Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation, Series of Monographs, Puławy (1993) in polish.
11. McNally D.L., Mihelcic J.R., Lueking D.R.: Biodegradation of mixtures of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons under aerobic and nitrate-reducing conditions, Chemosphere, 6, 1313-1321 (1999).
12. Miege C., Bouzige M., Nicol S., Dugay J., Pichon V., Hennion M.C.: Selective immunoclean-up followed by liquid or gas chromatography for the monitoring of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in urban waste water and sewage sludges used for soil amendment, Journal of Chromatography, 859, 29-39 (1999).
13. Northcoot G.L., K.Jones, Partitioning, extractability and formation of nonextractable PAH residues in soil. 1. Compound differences in aging and sequestration, Environmental Science and Technology, 35, 1103-1110 (2001).
14. Oleszczuk P.: Application of three methods used for the evaluation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) bioaccessibility for sewage sludge composting, Bioresource Technology, 100, 413-420 (2009)
15. Park J.M., Lee S.B., Kim J.P., Kim M.J., Kwon O.S., Jung D.I.: Behaviour of PAHs from sewage sludge incineration in Korea, Waste Management, 29. 690-695 (2009).
16. Pena M. T., Casais M.C., Mejuto M.C., Cela R.: Development of a matrix solid-phase dispersion method for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sewage sludge samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 626, 155-165 (2008).
17. Perez S., Guillamon M., Barcelo D.: Quantitative analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sewage sludge from wastewater treatment plants, Journal of Chromatography, 938, 57-65 (2001).
18. Trably E., Patureau D.: Successful treatment of low PAH-contaminated sewage sludge in aerobic bioreactors, Environmental Science Pollution Research, 3, 170-176 (2006).