High Performance Computing (HPC) is required for many important applications in chemistry, computational fluid dynamics, etc., see, e.g., an overview in . In this paper we shortly describe an application (a multiscale material design problem) that requires HPC for several reasons. The problem of interest is analysis of the fiber-reinforced concrete and we focus on modelling of stiffness through numerical homogenization and computing local material properties by inverse analysis. Both problems require a repeated solution of large-scale finite element problems up to 200 million degrees of freedom and therefore the importance of HPC computing is evident.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Mihajlovic M. et al. Applications for Ultrascale Computing. - International Journal Supercomputing Frontiers and Innovations Vol. 2 2015 pp. 19-48.
2. Blaheta R. A. Kolcun O. Jakl K. Soucek J. Stary I. Georgiev. HPC in Computational Micromechanics of Composite Materials. - NESUS Workshop Cracow Poland 2015.
3. Blaheta R. O. Jakl R. Kohut J. Stary. GEM - A Platform for Advanced Mathematical Geosim-Ulations. - In: R. Wyrzykowski et al. Eds. PPAM 2009. Part I. LNCS 6067 2010 pp. 266-275.
4. Blaheta R. R. Kohut A. Kolcun K. Soucek L. Stas L. Vavro. Digital Image Based Numerical Micromechanics of Geocomposites with Application to Chemical Grouting. - International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences Vol. 77 2015 pp. 77-88.
5. Blaheta R. R. Kohut J. Stary. Computational and Reliability Aspects of Micro- Geomechanics. - In: Oka Murakami Uzuoka and Kimoto Eds. Computer Methods and Recent Advances in Geomechanics Taylor & Francis Group London 2015.
6. Hickman M. A. P. K. Basu. Stochastic Multiscale Characterization of Short-Fiber Reinforced Composites. - Technische Mechanik Vol. 36 2016 No 1-2 pp. 13-31.
7. Guan X. X. Liu X. Jia Y. Yuan J. Cui H. A. Mang. A Stochastic Multiscale Model for Predicting Mechanical Properties of Fiber Reinforced Concrete. - International Journal of Solids and Structures Vol. 56-57 2015 pp. 280-289.
8. Haslinger J. R. Blaheta R. Hrtus. Identification Problems with Given Material Interfaces. - Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics Early View June 2016.