Data mining methods are often implemented at advanced universities today for analyzing available data and extracting information and knowledge to support decision-making. This paper presents the initial results from a data mining research project implemented at a Bulgarian university, aimed at revealing the high potential of data mining applications for university management.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Antons C. E. Maltz. Expanding the Role of Institutional Research at Small Private Universities: A Case Study in Enrollment Management Using Data Mining. - New Directions for Institutional Research Vol. 131 2006 69-81.
2. Baker R. K. Yacef. The State of Educational Data Mining in 2009: A Review and Future Visions. - Journal of Educational Data Mining Vol. 1 October 2009 Issue 1 3-17.
3. Chapman P. et al. CRISP-DM 1.0: Step-by-Step Data Mining Guide 2000. SPSS Inc. CRISPWP-0800 2000. http://www.spss.ch/upload/1107356429_CrispDM1.0.pdf
4. Cortez P. A. Silva. Using Data Mining to Predict Secondary School Student Performance. EUROSIS. A. Brito and J. Teixeira Eds. 2008 5-12.
5. DeLong C. P. Radclie L. Gorny. Recruiting for Retention: Using Data Mining and Machine Learning to Leverage the Admissions Process for Improved Freshman Retention. - In: Proc. of the Nat. Symposium on Student Retention 2007.
6. Dekker G. M. Pechenizkiy J. Vleeshouwers. Predicting Students Drop Out: A Case Study. - In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM’09) 1-3 July 2009 Cordoba Spain 41-50.
7. Kotsiantis S. C. Pierrakeas P. Pintelas. Prediction of Student’s Performance in Distance Learning Using Machine Learning Techniques. - Applied Artificial Intelligence Vol. 18 2004 No 5 411-426.
8. Kovačić Z. Early Prediction of Student Success: Mining Students Enrolment Data. - In: Proceedings of Informing Science & IT Education Conference (InSITE’2010) 2010 647-665.
9. Luan J. Data Mining and Its Applications in Higher Education. - New Directions for Institutional Research Special Issue Titled Knowledge Management: Building a Competitive Advantage in Higher Education Vol. 2002 2002 Issue 113 17-36.
10. Luan J. Data Mining Applications in Higher Education. SPSS Executive Report. SPSS Inc. 2004. http://www.spss.ch/upload/1122641492_Data%20mining%20applications%20in%20higher%20education.pdf
11. Ma Y. B. Liu C. K. Wong P. S. Yu S. M. Lee. Targeting the Right Students Using Data Mining. - In: Proceedings of 6th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Boston 2000 457-464.
12. Nandeshwar A. S. Chaudhari. Enrollment Prediction Models Using Data Mining 2009. http://nandeshwar.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/DMWVU_Project.pdf
13. Noe-Levitz. White Paper. Qualifying Enrollment Success: Maximizing Student Recruitment and Retention Through Predictive Modeling. Noel-Levitz Inc. 2008. https://www.noellevitz.com/documents/shared/Papers_and_Research/2008/QualifyingEnrollmentSuccess08.pdf
14. Ramaswami M. R. Bhaskaran. A CHAID Based Performance Prediction Model in Educational Data Mining. - IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues Vol. 7 January 2010 Issue 1 No 1 10-18.
15. Romero C. S. Ventura. Educational Data Mining: A Survey from 1995 to 2005. - Expert Systems with Applications Vol. 33 2007 135-146.
16. Vandamme J. N. Meskens J. Superby. Predicting Academic Performance by Data Mining Methods. - Education Economics Vol. 15 2007 No 4 405-419.
17.Witten I. E. Frank. Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Elsevier Inc. 2005.
18. Yu C. S. DiGangi A. Jannasch-Pennell C. Kaprolet. A Data Mining Approach for Identifying Predictors of Student Retention from Sophomore to Junior Year. - Journal of Data Science Vol. 8 2010 307-325.
19. Kabakchieva D. K. Stefanova V. Kisimov. Analyzing University Data for Determining Student Profiles and Predicting Performance. - In: Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM’2011) 6-8 July 2011 Eindhoven The Netherlands 347-348.