The existence and uniqueness of solution to a one-dimensional hyperbolic integro-differential problem arising in viscoelasticity is here considered. The kernel, in the linear viscoelasticity equation, represents the relaxation function which is characteristic of the considered material. Specifically, the case of a kernel, which does not satisfy the classical regularity requirements is analysed. This choice is suggested by applications according to the literature to model a wider variety of materials. A notable example of kernel, not satisfying the classical regularity requirements, is represented by a wedge continuous function. Indeed, the linear integro-differential viscoelasticity equation, characterised by a suitable wedge continuous relaxation function, is shown to give the classical linear wave equation via a limit procedure.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. G. Amendola S. Carillo and A. Manes Classical free energies of a heat conductor with memory and the minimum free energy for its discrete spectrum model Bollettino U. M.l. sect. B vol.3 pp. 421-446 2010.
2. G. Amendola S. Carillo J.M. Golden and A. Manes Viscoelastic fluids: free energies differential problems and asymptotic behaviour Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems - Series B vol. 19 pp.1815-1835 2014.
3. M. Bertsch P. Podio-Guidugli and V. Valente On the dynamics of deformable ferromagnets I. Global weak solutions for soft ferromagnets at rest Ann. Mat. Pura Appl. (IV) vol. CLXXIX pp. 331–360 2001.
4. W.F. Brown Magnetoelastic Interactions Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy vol.9 Springer Verlag 1966.
5. S. Carillo V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli A result of existence and uniqueness for an integro-differential system in magneto-viscoelasticity Applicable Analisys vol. 90 pp. 1791-1802 2010.
6. S. Carillo V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli An existence theorem for the magnetic-viscoelastic problem Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems Series S. vol. 5 pp. 435-447 2012.
7. S. Carillo V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli A linear viscoelasticity problem with a singular memory kernel: an existence and uniqueness result Differential and Integral Equations vol. 26 pp. 1115-1125 2013.
8. S. Carillo Singular kernel problems in materials with memory Meccanica vol. 50 pp. 603-615 2015.
9. S. Carillo A 3-dimensional singular kernel problem in viscoelasticity: an existence result Atti della Accademia Peloritana dei Pericolanti Classe di Scienze Fisiche Matematiche e Naturali vol. 97 (S1) 13 pp. 2019. DOI: 10.1478/AAPP.97S1A3.
10. S. Carillo M. Chipot V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli A magneto-viscoelasticity problem with a singular memory kernel Nonlinear Analysis Series B: Real World Applications vol. 35C pp. 200-210 2017.
11. S. Carillo V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli Heat conduction with memory: a singular kernel problem Evolution Equations and Control Theory vol. 3 pp. 399-410 2014.
12. M. Chipot I. Shafrir V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli A nonlocal problem arising in the study of magneto-elastic interactions Boll. UMI Serie IX I pp. 197-222 2008.
13. M. Chipot I. Shafrir V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli On a hyperbolic-parabolic system arising in magnetoelasticity J. Math. Anal. Appl. vol. 352 pp. 120-131 2009.
14. C.M. Dafermos An abstract Volterra equation with applications to linear viscoelasticity J. Diff. Equations vol. 7 pp. 554-569 1970.
15. C.M. Dafermos Asymptotic stability in viscoelasticity Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal. vol. 37 pp. 297-308 1970.
16. M. De Angelis On the transition from parabolicity to hyperbolicity for a nonlinear equation under Neumann boundary conditions Meccanica Article in Press 2018.
17. A. DeSimone and G. Dolzmann Existence of minimizers for a variational problem in two-dimensional nonlinear magneto-elasticity Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. vol. 144 pp. 107-120 1998.
18. M. Fabrizio G. Gentili and J.M. Golden Non-isothermal free energies for linear theories with memory Mathematical and Computer Modelling vol. 39 pp. 219-253 2004.
19. M. Fabrizio and A. Morro Mathematical problems in linear viscoelasticity SIAM Studies in Applied Mathematics 12 Philadelphia PA 1992.
20. G. Gentili Maximum recoverable work minimum free energy and state space in linear viscoelasticity Quart. Appl. Math. vol. 60 pp. 153–182 2002.
21. C. Giorgi and A. Morro Viscoelastic solids with unbounded relaxation function Continuum Mechanics And Thermodynamics vol. 4 pp. 151-165 1992.
22. D. Kinderlehrer Magnetoelastic interactions in variational methods for discontinuous structures Prog. Nonlinear Differential Equations Appl. vol. 25 Birkhauser Basel pp. 177-189 1996.
23. Md. Mahiuddin Md. Imran H. Khan Nghia Duc Pham and M.A. Karim Development of fractional viscoelastic model for characterising viscoelastic properties of food material during drying Food Bioscience vol.23 pp. 45-53 2018.
24. A. Rassoli N. Fatouraee and R. Guidoin Structural model for viscoelastic properties of pericardial bioprosthetic valves Artificial Organs vol. 42 pp. 630-639 2018.
25. A. Shahin-Shamsabadi et al. Mechanical material and biological study of a PCL/bioactive glass bone scaffold: Importance of viscoelasticity Materials Science and Engineering: C vol. 90 pp. 280-288 2018.
26. V. Valente and G. Vergara Caffarelli On the dynamics of magneto-elastic interactions: existence of solutions and limit behavior Asymptotic Analysis vol. 51 pp. 319-333 2007.
27. G. Vergara Caffarelli Dissipativity and uniqueness for the one-dimensional dynamical problem of linear viscoelasticity (Italian) Atti Accad. Naz. Lincei Rend. Cl. Sci. Fis. Mat. Natur. vol. 83 pp.483-488 1988.
28. G. Vergara Caffarelli Dissipativity and existence for the one-dimensional dynamical problem of linear viscoelasticity (Italian) Atti Accad. Naz. Lincei Rend. Cl. Sci. Fis. Mat. Natur. vol. 82 pp. 489-496 1988.
29. Z. Stropek and K. Golacki Viscoelastic response of apple flesh in a wide range of mechanical loading rates International Agrophysics vol. 32 pp. 335-340 2018.