The study was performed on six male chinchillas. The animals were anaesthetised with ether and the anaesthesia was deepened with nembuthal injected intraperitoneally. The chinchillas were then transcardially perfused with 0.4 L of 4% buffered paraformaldehyde, and testes, epididymides, and vasa deferentia were collected. The tunica albuginea from one testis from each chinchilla was stained as whole-mount preparation. The tissues were cut into 12 μm-thick cryostat sections, and processed for double-immunofluorescence method. In all organs studied, the most abundant nerve fibres were dopamine β hydroxylase positive (DβH+). Some of them contained neuropeptide Y (NPY). Sporadically NPY-positive-only nerve fibres were found. Single DβH+ nerve terminals contained also galanine. Small numbers of the nerve fibres supplying studied organs were stained for substance P (SP) and calitonin gene related peptide (CGRP). Almost all SP+ fibres were also CGRP+, whereas single CGRP+ nerves were SPimmunonegative. Some nerve terminals were immunoreactive to vesicular acetylcholine transporter and vasoactive intestinal peptide. The organs studied were innervated unevenly. The highest density of the nerves was found in the areas of the tunica albuginea adjacent to the mesorchial border of the testis and their number gradually decreased towards the free border of the gonad. None of the vascular tissue of the testicular parenchyma was free of the nerve fibres, except sporadically encountered DβH+ nerves which supply seminiferous tubules. Within the head of the epididymis a moderate number of nerve terminals were found, but in the body and tail of the organ the number of nerves gradually increased. The vas deferens was supplied with very numerous nerve fibres. There were no differences in the density of the innervation between the funicular and abdominal part of the vas deferens.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Achi M.V. Figueroa J.M. Gonzalez N.V. Villar M.J. Tramezzani J.H.: NPY- and CGRP-like immunoreactive nerve fibers in the testis and mesorchium of the toad (Bufo arenarum). Cell Tissue Res 1995 281 375-378.
2. Alm P.: On the autonomic innervation of the human vas deferens. Brain Res Bull 1982 9 673-677.
3. Campos M.B. Vitale M.L. Ritta M.N. Chiocchio S.R. Calandra R.S.: Catecholamine distribution in adult rat testis. Andrologia 1990 22 247-250.
4. Greenberg J. Schubert W. Metz J. Yanaihara N. Forssmann W.G.: Studies of the guinea-pig epididymis. III. Innervation of epididymal segments. Cell Tissue Res 1985 239 395-404.
5. Gu J. Polak J.M. Probert L. Islam K.N. Marangos P.J. Mina S. Adrian T.E. McGregor G.P. O'Shaughnessy D.J. Bloom S.R.: Peptidergic innervation of the human male genital tract. J Urol 1983 130 386-391.
6. Jen P.Y. Dixon J.S. Gosling J.A.: Colocalisation of neuropeptides nitric oxide synthase and immunomarkers for catecholamines in nerve fibres of the adult human vas deferens. J Anat 1999 195 (Pt 4) 481-489.
7. Kaleczyc J.: Origin and neurochemical characteristics of nerve fibres supplying the mammalian vas deferens. Microsc Res Tech 1998 42 409-422.
8. Kaleczyc J. Timmermans J.P. Majewski M. Łakomy M. Scheuermann D.W.: Immunohistochemical characteristics of nerve fibres supplying the porcine vas deferens. A colocalisation study. Histochem Cell Biol 1997 107 229-241.
9. Kihara K.: Introduction to innervation of the vas deferens. Microsc Res Tech 1998 42 387-389.
10. Koslov D.S. Andersson K.E.: Physiological and pharmacological aspects of the vas deferens-an update. Front Pharmacol 2013 4: 101.
11. Kujat R. Rose C. Wrobel K.H.: The innervation of the bovine ductus deferens: comparison of a modified acetylcholinesterasereaction with immunoreactivities of cholinacetyltransferase and panneuronal markers. Histochemistry 1993 99 231-239.
12. Lakomy M. Kaleczyc J. Majewski M.: Noradrenergic and peptidergic innervation of the testis and epididymis in the male pig. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 1997 35 19-27.
13. Lavidis N.A. Bennett M.R.: Sympathetic innervation of the surface of the mouse vas deferens. J Auton Nerv. Syst 1993 45 87-100.
14. Maruch S.M. Alves H.J. Machado C.R.: Sympathetic innervation of the reproductive organs of the male opossum Didelphis albiventris (Lund 1841). Acta Anat (Basel) 1989 134 257-262.
15. Nouhouayi Y. Negulesco I.: Histochemical and ultrastructural data on the adrenergic and cholinergic innervation of the epididymis in the mouse. Acta Anat (Basel) 1987 128 23-26.
16. Owman C. Sjostrand N.O.: Short adrenergic neurones and catecholamine-containing cells in vas deferens and accessory male genital glands of different mammals. Z Zellforsch Mikrosk Anat 1965 66 300-320.
17. Properzi G. Cordeschi G. Francavilla S.: Postnatal development and distribution of peptide-containing nerves in the genital system of the male rat. An immunohistochemical study. Histochemistry 1992 97 61-68.
18. Rauchenwald M. Steers W.D. Desjardins C.: Efferent innervation of the rat testis. Biol Reprod 1995 52 1136-1143.
19. Robinson P.M.: A cholinergic component in the innervation of the longitudinal smooth muscle of the guinea pig vas deferens. The fine structural localization of acetylcholinesterase. J Cell Biol 1969 41 462-476.
20. Saleh A.M. Alameldin M.A. Abdelmoniem M.E. Hassouna E.M. Wrobel K.H.: On the intrinsic innervation of the epididymis of the camel (Camelus dromedarius). Ann Anat 2002 184 305-315.
21. Santamaria L. Reoyo A. Regadera J. Paniagua R.: Histochemistry and ultrastructure of nerve fibres and contractile cells in the tunica albuginea of the rat testis. Acta Anat (Basel) 1990 139 126-133.
22. Schulman C.C.: Development of the adrenergic innervation in the ureter and vas deferens in rabbits. Experientia 1974 30 790-792.
23. Shirai M. Sasaki K. Rikimaru A.: A histochemical investigation of the distribution of adrenergic and cholinergic nerves in the human male genital organs. Tohoku J Exp Med 1973 111 281-291.
24. Sienkiewicz W. Kaleczyc J. Wąsowicz K. Czaja K. Pidsudko Z. Kotwica J. Łakomy M.: The influence of active immunisation against GnRH on adrenergic innervation of the porcine testis epididymis and vas deferens. A quantitative and morphological study. Pol J Vet Sci 2000 3 131-140.
25. Silva A.M. Queiroz D.B. Castro Neto E.F. Naffah- Mazzacoratti M.G. Godinho R.O. Porto C.S. Gutierrez-Ospina G. Avellar M.C.: Segment-specific decrease of both catecholamine concentration and acetylcholinesterase activity are accompanied by nerve refinement in the rat cauda epididymis during sexual maturation. J Androl 2002 23 374-383.
26. Song Z.M. Brookes S.J. Gibbins I.L. Costa M.: NADPHdiaphorase and other neuronal markers in nerves and ganglia supplying the guinea-pig vas deferens. J Auton Nerv Syst 1994 48 31-43.
27. Tainio H.: Peptidergic innervation of the human testis and epididymis. Acta Histochem 1994 96 415-420.
28. Tainio H.: Peptidergic innervation of the human prostate seminal vesicle and vas deferens. Acta Histochem 1995 97 113-119.
29. Tamura R. Hanesch U. Schmidt R.F. Kumazawa T. Mizumura K.: Calcitonin gene-related peptide- and substance Plike immunoreactive fibers in the spermatic nerve and testis of the dog. Neurosci Lett 1997 235 113-116.
30. Ventura S. Bavetta S. Milner P. Ralevic V. Burnstock G.: Nitric oxide synthase is co-localized with vasoactive intestinal polypeptide in postganglionic parasympathetic nerves innervating the rat vas deferens. Neuroscience 1998 83 607-616.
31. Wakade A.R. Kirpekar S.M.: Chemical and histochemical studies on the sympathetic innervation of the vas deferens and seminal vesicle of the guinea pig. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1971 178 432-441.
32. Wenger T. Bouhdiba M. Saint P.P. Ciofi P. Tramu G. Leonardelli J.: Presence of neuropeptide--Y and its C-terminal flanking peptide immuno-reactivity in the seminiferous tubules of human testis. Andrologia 1990 22 299-303.
33. Wrobel K.H. Abu-Ghali N.: Autonomic innervation of the bovine testis. Acta Anat (Basel) 1997 160 1-14.
34. Wrobel K.H. Brandl B.: The autonomous innervation of the porcine testis in the period from birth to adulthood. Ann Anat 1998 180 145-156.
35. Wrobel K.H. Gurtler A.: The nerve distribution in the testis of the cat. Ann Anat 2001 183 297-308.
36. Wrobel K.H. Moustafa M.N.: On the innervation of the donkey testis. Ann Anat 2000 182 13-22.
37. Wrobel K.H. Schenk E.: Immunohistochemical investigations of the autonomous innervation of the cervine testis. Ann Anat 2003 185 493-506.
38. Yamamoto M. Kondo H.: Occurrence of a dense plexus of sensory nerve fibers immunoreactive to calcitonin-gene-related peptide in the cauda epididymidis of rats. Acta Anat (Basel) 1988 132 169-176.
39. Zhu B.C. Chiocchio S.R. Suburo A.M. Tramezzani J.H.: Monoaminergic and peptidergic contributions of the superior and the inferior spermatic nerves to the innervation of the testis in the rat. J Androl 1995 16 248-258.