A multiresidue method (LC-MS/MS) for determination of wide range of anthelmintics was developed. The method covered benzimidazoles: albendazole (and metabolites), cambendazole, fenbendazol (and metabolites), flubendazole (and metabolites), mebendazole (and metabolites), oxibendazole, thiabendazole (and metabolites), triclabendazole (and metabolites); macrocyclic lactones: abamectin, doramectin, emamectin, eprinomectin, ivermectin, moxidectin; salicylanilides: closantel, ioxynil, nitroxynil, oxyclosamide, niclosamide, rafoxanid and others: clorsulon, derquantel, imidocarb, monepantel (and metabolites), morantel, praziquantel, and pyrantel. The method was used to examine the potential presence of anthelmintics in goat and sheep milk and dairy products from the Polish market. A total of 120 samples of milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and curd were analysed. None of the samples were found positive above CCα (1-10 μg/kg) except for one cottage cheese in which traces of albendazole sulfone were detected (5.2 ug/kg) and confirmed. The results of the study showed negligible anthelmintic residues in the goat and sheep milk and dairy products and confirm their good quality.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aguilera-Luiz M.M. Vidal J.L.M. Romero-González R. Frenich A.G.: Multi-residue determination of veterinary drugs in milk by ultra-high-pressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2008 1205 10-16.
2. Anastasio A. Veneziano V. Capurro E. Rinaldi L. Cortesi M.L. Rubino R. Danaher M. Cringoli G.: Fate of eprinomectin in goat milk and cheeses with different ripening times following pour-on administration. J Food Prot 2005 68 1097-1101.
3. Chen D. Tao Y. Liu Z. Liu Z. Huang L. Wang Y. Yuan Z.: Development of a high-performance liquid chromatography method to monitor the residues of benzimidazoles in bovine milk. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2010 878 2928-2932.
4. Commission Decision 2002/657/EC of August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results. Off J Eur Commun 2002 L 221 8-36.
5. European Food Safety Authority (2012) Report for 2010 on the results from the monitoring of veterinary medicinal product residues and other substances in live animals and animal products. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/fr/supporting/pub/212e.
6. European Food Safety Authority Scientific Opinion: Scientific Opinion on the suitability of goat milk protein as a source of protein in infant formulae and in follow-on formulae. EFSA J 2012 10 2603-2610.
7. Fleming S.A. Craig T. Kaplan R.M. Miller J.E. Navarre Ch. Rongs M.: Anthelmintic resistance of gastrointestinal parasites in small ruminants. J Vet Intern Med 2006 20 4350-4444.
8. Fletouris D.J. Botsoglou N.A. Psomas I.E. Mantis A.I.: Albendazole-related drug residues in milk and their fate during cheesemaking ripening and storage. J Food Prot 1998 61 1484-1488.
9. Furlani R.P.Z. Dias F.F.G. Nogueira P.M. Gomes F.M.L. Tfouni S.A.V. Camargo M.C.R.: Occurrence of macrocyclic lactones in milk and yogurt from Brazilian market. Food Control 2014 48 43-47.
10. Gómez Pérez M.L. Romero-González R. Martínez Vidal J.L. Garrido Frenich A.: Analysis of veterinary drug residues in cheese by ultra-high-performance LC coupled to triple quadrupole MS/MS. J Sep Sci 2013 36 1223-1230.
11. Imperiale F.A. Busetti M.R. Suárez V.H. Lanusse C.E.: Milk excretion of ivermectin and moxidectin in dairy sheep: assessment of drug residues during cheese elaboration and ripening period. J Agric Food Chem 2004 52 6205-6211.
12. Imperiale F.A. Mottier L. Sallovitz J.M. Lifschitz A.L. Lanusse C.E.: Disposition of doramectin milk residues in lactating dairy sheep. J Agric Food Chem 2003 51 3185-3190.
13. Imperiale F. Pis A. Sallovitz J. Lisfchitz A. Busetti M. Suárez V. Lanusse C.: Pattern of eprinomectin milk excretion in dairy sheep unaffected by lactation stage: comparative residual profiles in dairy products. J Food Prot 2006 69 2424-2429.
14. Jedziniak P. Olejnik M. Rola J. Szprengier Juszkiewicz T.: Determination of anthemintic residues in dairy products. Food Addit Contamin 2015 (in press).
15. Kinsella B. Byrne P. Cantwell H. Mccormack M. Furey A. Danaher M.: Determination of the new anthelmintic monepantel and its sulfone metabolite in milk and muscle using a UHPLCMS/ MS and QuEChERS method. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2011 879 3707-3713.
16. Tsiboukis D. Sazakli E. Jelastopulu E. Leotsinidis M.: Anthelmintics residues in raw milk. Assessing intake by a children population. Pol J Vet Sci 2013 16 85-91.
17. Whelan M. Chirollo C. Furey A. Cortesi M.L Anastasio A Danaher M.: Investigation of the persistence of levamisole and oxyclozanide in milk and fate in cheese. J Agric Food Chem 2010 58 12204-12209.