The aim of this study was the determination of the susceptibility of Polish farmed redfin perch (Perca fluviatilis L.) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum) to experimental infection with haematopoietic necrosis virus (EHNV). A bath challenge model was tested at two temperature ranges: 13-15°C and 20-22°C. After 7 d, the first clinical signs and mortality were observed in fish kept at these temperatures. Significantly more mortality cases were reported in the redfin perch population, reaching a maximum of 24% compared with 12% in the rainbow trout group at 20-22°C. EHNV was reisolated from redfin perch and rainbow trout tissue in cell culture and the infection was confirmed by a molecular method and histopathology during the duration of the experiment. This study revealed that fish from Polish farms can be susceptible to EHNV even at lower temperatures.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ahne W. Schlotfeldt H.J. Thomsen I.: Fish viruses: isolation of an icosahedral cytoplasmic deoxyribovirus from sheatfish (Silurus glanis). Zen Vet B 1989 36 333-336.
2. Ariel E. Jensen B.B.: Challenge studies of European stocks of redfin perch Perca fluviatilis L. and rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum) with epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus. J Fish Dis 2009 32 1017-1025.
3. Becker J.A. Tweedie A. Gilligan D. Asmus M. Whittington R.J.: Experimental infection of Australian freshwater fish with epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus (EHNV). J Aquat Anim Health 2013 25 66-76.
4. Council Directive 2006/88/EC of 24 October 2006 on animal health requirements for aquaculture animals and products thereof and on the prevention and control of certain diseases in aquatic animals. Part II of Annex IV.
5. El-Matbouli M. Saleh M. Soliman H.: Biosecurity risks associated with epizootic ulcerative syndrome and iridovirus in ornamental fish imported into the European Union. Vet Rec 2014 174 (12): 303.
6. Goorha R.: Frog virus 3 DNA replication occurs in two stages. J Virol 1982 43 519-528.
7. Hedrick R.P. Mc Dowell T.S. Ahne W. Torhy C. de Kinkelin P.: Properties of three iridovirus-like agents associated with systemic infections of fish. Dis Aquat Org 1992 13 203-209.
8. Langdon J.S. Humphrey J.D. Williams L.M. Hyatt A.D. Westbury H.A.: First virus isolation from Australian fish: an iridovirus-like pathogen from redfin perch Perca fluviatilis L. J Fish Dis 1986 9 263-268.
9. Langdon J.S. Humphrey J.D. Williams L.M.: Outbreaks of an EHNV-like iridovirus in cultured rainbow trout Salmo gairdneri Richardson in Australia. J Fish Dis 1988 11 93-96.
10. Langdon J.S. Humphrey J.D.: Epizootic haematopoietic necrosis a new viral disease in redfin perch Perca fluviatilis L. in Australia. J Fish Dis 1987 10 289-297.
11. Langdon J.S.: Experimental transmission and pathogenicity of epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus (EHNV) in redfin perch Perca fluviatilis L. and 11 other teleosts. J Fish Dis 1989 12 295-310.
12. OIE Manual of Diagnostic Tests for Aquatic Animals 2012 Chapter 2.3.1. Epizootic haematopoietic necrosis.
13. Peeler E.J. Oidtmann B.C. Midtlyng P.M. Miossec L. Gozlan R.E.: Non-native aquatic animal introductions have driven disease emergence in Europe. Biol Invas 2011 13 1291-1303.
14. Pozet F. Morand M. Moussa A. Torhy C. de Kinkelin P.: Isolation and preliminary characterization of a pathogenic icosahedral deoxyribovirus from the catfish Ictalurus melas. Dis Aquat Org 1992 14 35-42.
16. Tapiovaara H. Olesen N.J. Lindén J. Rimaila-Pärnänen E. von Bonsdorff C-H.: Isolation and characterization of an iridolike virus from pike-perch Stizostedion lucioperca. Dis Aquat Organ 1998 32 185-193.
17. Whittington R.J. Becker J.A. Dennis M.M.: Iridovirus infections in finfish - critical review with emphasis on ranaviruses. J Fish Dis 2010 33 95-122.
18. Whittington R.J. Philbey A. Reddacliff G.L. Macgown A.R.: Epidemiology of epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus (EHNV) infection in farmed rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum): findings based on virus isolation antigen capture ELISA and serology. J Fish Dis 1994 17 205-218.
19. Whittington R.J. Reddacliff G.L.: Influence of environmental temperature on experimental infection of redfin perch (Perca fluviatilis) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) with epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus an Australian iridovirus. Aust Vet J 1995 72 421-424.
20. Whittington R.J. Reddacliff L.A. Marsh I. Kearns C. Zupanovic Z. Callinan R.B.: Further observations on the epidemiology and spread of epizootic haematopoietic necrosis virus (EHNV) in farmed rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss in south-eastern Australia and a recommended sampling strategy for surveillance. Dis Aquat Org 1999 35 125-130.