Immunohistochemical profiles of the most common canine testicular tumours, including the Leydig cell tumours, seminomas, and Sertoli cell tumours were analysed, and the results were compared with those obtained in the corresponding types of human testicular neoplasms. The expressions of vimentin, von Willebrand factor (FVIII), chromogranin A, synaptophysin, and MCM3 were quantified. In the case of Sertoli cell tumours, only canine ones were analysed, since this type of tumour is very rarely diagnosed in men. The expression of the analysed proteins in the testicular tumours was similar. The von Willebrand factor exhibited the strongest expression in Leydig cell tumours in dogs and men, while vimentin was expressed more strongly in dogs (96.7% had an intensity at +++) than in men (62.5% had +++) in the Leydigioma. The immunoexpression of MCM3 in seminomas was high in both men and dogs – 90% +++ and 100% +++ respectively. The lack of chromogranin A and synaptophysin was observed in almost 100% of seminomas in men and dogs. This differed from the results obtained for Leydigioma, where chromogranin A was expressed in 70% of dogs at +++ and in 100% of men at ++++. The results may indicate that the antibodies were selected correctly. Their analysis and interpretation provides valuable information concerning the nature of the studied tumours.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Banco B Giudice C Veronesi M.C Gerosa E Grieco V.: An immunohistochemical study of normal and neoplastic canine sertoli cells. J Comp Pathol 2010 143 239-247.
2. Ciaputa R. Nowak M. Madej J.A. Poradowski D. Janus I. Dziegiel P Gorzynska E. Kandefer-Gola M.: Inhibin-α E-cadherin calretinin and Ki-67 antigen in the immunohistochemical evaluation of canine and human testicular neoplasms. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 2014 52 326-334.
3. Davidoff M.S. Schulze W. Middendorff R Holstein A.F.: The Leydig cell of the human testis - a new member of the diffuse neuroendocrine system. Cell Tissue Res 1993 271 429–439.
4. De Lellis R.A. Shin S.J.: Immunohistology of endocrine tumors. In: Diagnostic immunohistochemistry edited by D.J. Dabbs Elsevier Philadelphia 2006 pp. 262-263.
5. Denis CV.: Molecular and cellular biology of von Willebrand factor. Int J Hematol 2002 75 3-8.
6. Grieco V Riccardi E Greppi G.F Teruzzi F Iermano V Finazzi M: Canine testicular tumours: a study on 232 dogs. J Comp Path 2008 138 86-89.
7. Herrmann H Aebi U.: Intermediate filaments and their associates: multi - talented structural elements specifying cytoarchitecture and cytodynamics. Curr Opin Cell Biol 2000 12 79-90.
8. Kennedy P.C. Cullen J.M. Edwards J.F Goldschmidt M.H. Larsen S. Munson L Nielsen S.: Histological Classification of Tumors of the Genital System of Domestic Animals. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Washington 1998 pp. 12-20.
9. Kuroda N. Senzaki T. Yamasaki Y Miyazaki E. Hayashi Y. Toi M Hiroi M Enzan H.: Sertoli cell tumor of the testis (not otherwise specified) with the expression of neuroendocrine markers and without the expression of inhibin-alpha. Pathol Int 2004 54 719–724.
10. Kwon S.E. Chapman E.R.: Synaptophysin regulates the kinetics of synaptic vesicle endocytosis in central neurons. Neuron 2011 70 847–885.
11. Lei M. Tye B.K.: Initiating DNA synthesis: from recruiting to activating the MCM complex. J Cell Sci 2001 114 1447–1454.
12. Levin H.S.: Neoplasms of the testis. In: Genitourinary Pathology: A Volume in Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology Series edited by M. Zhou C. Magi-Galluzzi Elsevier Philadelphia 2007 pp. 582–588.
13. Mooney E.E. Nogales F.F. Bergeron C. Tavassoli F.A.: Retiform Sertoli-Leydig cell tumours: clinical morphological and immunohistochemical findings. Histopathology 2002 41 110–117.
14. Padró T. Ruiz S. Bieker R. Bürger H. Steins M. Kienast J. Büchner T Berdel W.E. Mesters R.M.: Increased angiogenesis in the bone marrow of patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Blood 2000 95 2637–2644.
15. Remmele W. Stegner H.E.: Recommendation for uniform definition of an immunoreactive score (IRS) for immunohistochemical estrogen receptor detection (ER-ICA) in breast cancer tissue. Pathologie. 1987 8 138–140.
16. Reyes A. Moran C.A. Suster S. Michal M. Dominguez H.: Neuroendocrine carcinomas (carcinoid tumor) of the testis. A clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of ten cases. Am J Clin Pathol 2003 120 182–187.
17. Saegusa Y. Hayashi H. Taniai E. Imaoka M. Ohishi T. Wang L. Mitsumori K. Shibutani M.: Spermatocytic seminoma with neuroectodermal differentiation and sertoli cell tumor in a dog. Vet Pathol 2011 48 1024–1028.
18. Tye B.K. Sawyer S.: The hexametric eukaryotic MCM helicase: building symmetry from non identical parts. J Biol Chem 2000 275 34833–34836.
19. Wang Z. Yang S. Shi H. Du H. Xue L. Wang L. Dong Y. Han A.: Histopathological and immunophenotypic features of testicular tumour of the adrenogenital syndrome. Histopathology 2011 58 1013–1018.
20. Werner M. Kaloutsi V. Walter K. Buhr T. Bernhards J. Georgii A.: Immunohistochemical examination of routinely processed bone marrow biopsies. Pathol Res Pract 1992 188 707–713.