The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcome of surgical treatment in 16 dogs, depending on the animal’s age, body weight, deep pain perception, and time from the onset of neurological symptoms to the consultation with a veterinary neurologist and successive surgery. Sixteen dogs diagnosed with cervical (n = 11) or thoracolumbar (n = 5) disc extrusions underwent spinal surgeries (eleven ventral slots and five hemilaminectomies). The success rate of surgical treatment was 64.3% in dogs with preserved nociception. No association between the animal’s age or body weight and the result of surgical treatment was found. A successful surgical outcome was more likely when the symptom-to-surgery time was shorter.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Amsellem P.M. Toombs J.P. Laverty P.H. Breur G.J.: Loss of deep pain sensation following thoracolumbar intervertebral disk herniation in dogs: Treatment and prognosis. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 2003 24 266-275.
2. Bagley R.S. Tucker R. Harrington M.L.: Lateral and foraminal disk extrusion in dogs. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 1996 18 802-805.
3. Braund K.G.: Intervertebral disc disease. In: Disease mechanisms of small animal surgery edited by M. J. Bojrab Lea & Febiger Philadelphia 1993 pp. 960-970.
4. Brisson B.A.: Intervertebral disc disease in dogs. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2010 40 829-858.
5. Brown N.O. Helphrey M.L. Prata R.G.: Thoracolumbar disc disease in the dog: a retrospective analysis of 187 cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1977 13 665-672.
6. Cudia S.P. Duval J.M.: Thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease in large nonchondrodystrophic dogs: a retrospective study. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1997 33 456-460.
7. Da Costa R.C. Samii V.F.: Advanced imaging of the spine in small animals. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2010 40 765-790.
8. Davis G.J. Brown D.C.: Prognostic indicators for time to ambulation after surgical decompression in nonambulatory dogs with acute thoracolumbar disk extrusions: 112 cases. Vet Surg 2002 31 513-518.
9. Ferreira A.J.A. Correia J.H.D. Jaggy A.: Thoracolumbar disc disease in 71 paraplegic dogs: influence of rate of onset and duration of clinical signs on treatment results. J Small Anim Pract 2002 43 158-163.
10. Fluehmann G. Doherr M.G. Jaggy A.: Canine neurological diseases in a referral hospital population between 1989 and 2000 in Switzerland. J Small Anim Pract 2006 47 582-587.
11. Griffin J.F. Levine J.M. Kerwin S.C.: Thoracolumbar intervertebral disk disease part I: pathophysiology. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 2009 31 1-13.
12. Griffin J.F. Levine J.M. Kerwin S.C. Cole R.C.: Canine thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease part II: diagnosis prognosis and treatment. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 2009 311-14.
13. Levine S.H. Caywood D.D.: Recurrence of neurological deficits in dogs treated for thoracolumbar disc disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1984 20 889.
14. Levine J.M. Levine G.J. Johnson S.I. Kerwin S.C. Hettlich B.F. Fosgate G.T.: Evaluation of the success of medical management for presumptive cervical intervertebral disk herniation in dogs. Vet Surg 2007 36 482-491.
15. Macias C. Mckee W.M. May C. Innes J.F.: Thoracolumbar disc disease in large dogs: a study of 99 cases. J Small Anim Pract 2002 43 439-446.
16. Mann F.A. Wagner-Mann C.C. Dunphy E.D. Ruben D.S. Rochat M.C. Bartels K.E.: Recurrence rate of presumed thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease in ambulatory dogs with spinal hyperpathia treated with anti-inflammatory drugs: 78 cases. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2007 17 53-60.
17. Parent J.: Clinical approach and lesion localization in patients with spinal diseases. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2010 40 733-753.
18. Prata R.G.: Neurosurgical treatment of thoracolumbar disks: The rationale and value of laminectomy with concomitant disk removal. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1981 17 17-26.
19. Ruddle T.L. Allen D.A. Schertel E.R. Barnhart M.D. Wilson E.R. Lineberger J.A. Klocke N.W. Lehenbauer T.W.: Outcome and prognostic factors in nonambulatory Hansen type I intervertebral disc extrusions: 308 cases. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2006 19 29-34.
20. Scott H.W. McKee W.M.: Laminectomy for 34 dogs with thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease and loss of deep pain perception. J Small Anim Pract 1999 40 417-422.
21. Sharp N. Wheeler S.: Cervical disc disease thoracolumbar disc disease In: Small Animal Spinal Disorders: Diagnosis and Surgery 2nd edition Elsevier Mosby St Louis USA 2005 pp. 94-158.
22. Sterna J. Burzykowski T.: The assessment of the usefulness of hemilaminectomy without fenestration in the treatment of thoracolumbar disc disease in chondrodystrophic dogs. Pol J Vet Sci 2007 10 165-72.
23. Sterna J. Burzykowski T.: Assessment of the usefulness of the fenestration method in cases of disc extrusion in the cervical and thoraco-lumbar spine in chondrodystrophic dogs. Pol J Vet Sci. 2008 11 55-62.
24. Toombs J.P. Waters D.J.: Intervertebral disc disease. In: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery edited by Slatter D. Elsevier Health Sciences Philadelphia 2002 pp. 1193-1208.