The aim of the study was to estimate the usefulness of measuring the thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAbs) concentration in dogs’ serum in order to assess thyroid functioning. The study was performed on 383 dogs. The animals were divided into two groups: group A (n = 308) consisted of dogs with hypothyroidism and group B (n = 75) consisted of dogs with euthyreosis. TgAbs was determined in both groups. The reaction to the TgAbs in group A was strongly positive in 32% of dogs, weakly positive in 33% of dogs, and negative in 35% of dogs. The TgAbs were observed in 32% of the dogs from group B, in which 8% of the animals had strongly positive reaction (++) and 24% - slightly positive (+). The correlation between the concentration of total and free fraction of the thyroxin and the level of the TgAbs were observed in group A. The tendency to positive reaction to the antibodies (++) in dogs with lower concentrations of total thyroxine and free thyroxine was observed. It was noted that the presence of the TgAbs was common in dogs with hypothyroidism. However, it could be also found in the animals with euthyreosis.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Boretti F.S. Breyer-Haube I. Kaspers B. Reusch C.E.: Clinical hematological biochemical and endocrinological aspects of 32 dogs with hypothyroidism. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 2003 145 149-156 158-159
2. Breyer U. Reese S. Deeg C. Kaspers B. Kraft W.: Diagnostic and predictive value of autoantibodies to thyroglobulin (TgAA) in dogs. Tierarztl Prax. Ausg K Kleintiere/Heimtiere 2004 32 207-213.
3. Czumińska K.: Lymphocyte thyroiditis in dogs. Med Weter 2001 57 905-909.
4. Daminet S.: Canine hypothyroidism: update on diagnosis and treatment. Proceedings of the 35th WSAVA Congress. Geneva Switzerland 2010. http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2010&Category=8391&PID=56114&O=Generic
5. Deeg C. Kaspers A. Hartmann K. Kraft W. Kaspers B.: Canine hypothyroidism: detection of anti-thyroglobulin autoantibodies. Tierarztl Prax 1997 25 170-173.
6. Dixon R.M. Mooney C.T.: Canine serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies in health hypothyroidism and non-thyroidal illness. Res Vet Sci Jun 1999 66 243-246.
7. Erregragui K. Cheillan F. Defoort J.P. Prato S. Ferta V.: Autoantibodies to thyroid hormones: the role of thyroglobulin. Clin Exp Immunol 1996 105 140-147.
8. Ferguson D.C.: Testing for hypothyroidism in dogs. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2007 37 647-669.
9. Ferm K. Björnerfeldt S. Karlsson A. Andersson G. Nachreiner R. Hedhammar A.: Prevalence of diagnostic characteristics indicating canine autoimmune lymphocytic thyroiditis in giant schnauzer and hovawart dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2009 50 176-179.
10. Graham P.A. Nachreiner R.F. Refsal K.R. Provencher- Bolliger A.L.: Lymphocytic thyroiditis. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2001 31 915-933.
11. Graham P.A. Refsal K.R. Nachreiner R.F.: Etiopathologic findings of canine hypothyroidism. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2007 37 617-631.
12. Happ G.M. Ollier W. Kennedy L.J.: Genetic determinants of susceptibility to hypothyroid disease in dogs. AKC Research Foundation Report. 2005.
13. Kennedy L.J. Huson H.J. Leonard J. Angles J.M. Fox L.E. Wojciechowski J.W. Yuncker C. Happ G.M.: Association of hypothyroid disease in Doberman Pinscher dogs with a rare major histocompatibility complex DLA class II haplotype. Tissue Antigens 2006 67 53-56.
14. Lee J.Y. Uzuka Y. Tanabe S. Sarashina T.: Prevalence of thyroglobulin autoantibodies detected by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay of canine serum in hypothyroid obese and healthy dogs in Japan. Res Vet Sci 2004 76 129-132.
15. Mooney C.T. Shiel R.E. Dixon R.M.: Thyroid hormone abnormalities and outcome in dogs with non-thyroidal illness. J Small Anim Pract 2008 49 11-16.
16. Mooney C.T.: Canine hypothyroidism: A review of aetiology and diagnosis. N Z Vet J 2011 59 105-114.
17. Nachreiner R.F. Refsal K.R. Graham P.A. Hauptman J. Watson G.L.: Prevalence of autoantibodies to thyroglobulin in dogs with nonthyroidal illness. Am J Vet Res 1998 59 951-955.
18. Nachreiner R.F. Refsal K.R. Graham P.A. Bowman M.M.: Prevalence of serum thyroid hormone autoantibodies in dogs with clinical signs of hypothyroidism. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 220 466-471.
19. Nelson R.W.: Use of baseline thyroid hormone concentrations for diagnosing canine hypothyroidism. Canine Pract 1997 22 39-40.
20. Panciera D.L.: Is it possible to diagnose canine hypothyroidism? J Small Anim Pract 1999 40 152-157.
21. Patzl M. Möstl E.: Determination of autoantibodies to thyroglobulin thyroxine and triiodothyronine in canine serum. J Vet Med A 2003 50 72-78.
22. Peterson M.E. Melian C. Nichols R.: Measurement of serum total thyroxine triiodothyronine free thyroxine and thyrotropin concentrations for diagnosis of hypothyroidism in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 211 1396-1402.
23. Rajatanavin R. Fang S.L. Pino S. Laurberg P. Braverman L.E. Smith M. Bullock L.P.: Thyroid hormone antibodies and Hashimoto's thyroiditis in mongrel dogs. Endocrinology. 1989 124 2535-2540.
24. Scott-Moncrieff J.C. Azcona-Olivera J. Glickman N.W. Glickman L.T. HogenEsch H.: Evaluation of antithyroglobulin antibodies after routine vaccination in pet and research dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 221 515-521.
25. Scott-Moncrieff J.C. Glickman N.W Glickman L.T. HogenEsch H. Lack of association between repeated vaccination and thyroiditis in laboratory Beagles. J Vet Intern Med 2006 20 818-821.
26. Skopek E. Patzl M. Nachreiner R.F.: Detection of autoantibodies against thyroid peroxidase in serum samples of hypothyroid dogs. Am J Vet Res 2006 67 809-814.
27. Tani H. Nabetani T. Sasai K. Baba E.: Proliferative responses to canine thyroglobulin of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from hypothyroid dogs. J Vet Med Sci 2005 67 363-368.
28. Torres S.M. Feeney D.A. Lekcharoensuk C. Fletcher T.F. Clarkson C.E. Nash N.L. Hayden D.W.: Comparison of colloid thyroid follicular epithelium and thyroid hormone concentrations in healthy and severely sick dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003 222 1079-1085.
29. Wilbe M. Sundberg K. Hansen I.R. Strandberg E. Nachreiner R.F. Hedhammar A. Kennedy L.J. Andersson G. Björnerfeldt S.: Increased genetic risk or protection for canine autoimmune lymphocytic thyroiditis in Giant Schnauzers depends on DLA class II genotype. Tissue Antigens 2010 75 712-719.
30. Young D.W. Haines D.M. Kemppainen R.J.: The relationship between autoantibodies to triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroglobulin (Tg) in the dog. Autoimmunity 1991 9 41-46.