A multiresidue method for simultaneous determination of 10 dyes unauthorised for the use in laying hens was developed (Sudan I, Sudan II, Sudan III, Sudan IV, Sudan Red G, Sudan Orange G, Sudan Red 7B, Para-Red, Toluidine Red, Citrus Red). The dyes were extracted using liquid-liquid extraction with acetonitrile in the presence of anhydrous sodium sulphate, and cleaned using zirconium coated silica cartridges. After dilution with acetonitrile saturated with hexane:DMSO (8:2), samples were analysed using LC-MS/MS system with acetonitrile (A) and 0.1% formic acid (B) as a mobile phase in a gradient mode and C18 analytical column. The method was validated according to the requirements described in the Commission Decision 2002/657/EC: linearity (r ≥ 0.998), precision: repeatability (1.94%-10.02%), and within-laboratory reproducibility (4.66%-8.89%), recovery (97%-105%), decision limit CCα (5.33-6.50 μg/kg), and detection capability CCβ (6.18-7.50 μg/kg) were calculated. The developed method fulfilled all performance criteria and can be used in the official survey of dyes residues in food of animal origin.
1. Anfossi L., Baggiani C., Giovannoli C., Giraudi G.: Development of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays for Sudan dyes in chilli powder, ketchup and egg yolk. Food Add Contam 2009, 26, 800-807.
2. Baggiani C., Anfossi L., Baravalle P., Giovannoli C., Giraudi G., Barolo C., Viscardi G.: Determination of banned Sudan dyes in food samples by molecularly imprinted solid phase extraction-high performance liquid chromatography. J Sep Sci 2009, 32, 3292-3300.
3. Chang X.C., Hu X.Z., Li Y.Q., Shang Y.J., Liu Y.Z., Feng G., Wang J.P.: Multi-determination of Para Red and Sudan dyes in egg by a broad-specific antibody based enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. Food Control 2011, 22, 1770-1775.
4. Chen D., Li X., Tao Y., Pan Y., Wu Q., Liu Z., Peng D., Wang X., Huang L., Wang Y., Yuan Z.: Development of a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry with ultrasound- assisted extraction method for the simultaneous determination of Sudan dyes and their metabolites in the edible tissues and eggs of food producing animals. J Chromatogr B 2013, 939, 45-50.
5. Commission Regulation (EU) No 1129/2011 of 11 November 2011 amending Annex II to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008 of the European Parliament and of .the Council by establishing a Union list of food additives, Off J Eur Union, L 295, 1-177.
6. Commission Decision of 12 August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results (2002/657/EC). Off J Eur Communities 2002, 221, 8-3.
7. Dvořák P., Suchý P., Straková E., Kopřiva V.: Possibilities of enhancing the colour of egg yolk. J Sci Food Agric 2012, 92, 853-856.
8. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Opinion of the scientific panel on additives and products or substances used in animal feed on the maximum residue limits for canthaxanthin in foodstuffs coming from animals fed with canthaxanthin used as a feed additive in accordance with Council Directive 70/524/EEC. EFSA J 2007, 507, 1-19.
9. He L., Su Y., Fang B., Shen X., Zeng Z., Liu Y.: Determination of Sudan dye residues in eggs by liquid chromatography and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta 2007, 594, 139-146.
10. Hou X., Li Y., Cao S., Zhang Z., Wu Y.: Analysis of Para Red and Sudan dyes in egg yolk by UPLC-MS-MS. Chromatographia 2010, 71, 135-138.
11. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): http://monographs.iarc.fr Accessed at 11.01.2014.
12. Li C., Yang T., Zhang Y., Wu Y.L.: Determination of Sudan Dyes and Para Red in Duck Muscle and Egg by UPLC. Chromatographia 2009, 70, 319-322.
13. List of the authorised additives in feedingstuffs (1) published in application of Article 9t (b) of Council Directive 70/524/EEC concerning additives in feedingstuffs. Off J Eur Union 2004, 50, 24-25.
14. Liu J., Zhang H., Zhang D., Gao F., Wang J.: Production of the monoclonal antibody against Sudan 2 for immunoassay of Sudan dyes in egg. Anal Biochem 2012, 423, 246-252.
15. Liu R., Hei W., He P., Li Z.: Simultaneous determination of fifteen illegal dyes in animal feeds and poultry products by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2011, 879, 2416-2422.
16. Qiao J., Yan H., Wang H., Wu Y., Pan P., Geng Y.: Simultaneous determination of four sudan dyes in egg yolks by molecularly imprinted SPE coupled with LC-UV detection. Chromatographia 2011, 73, 227-233.
17. Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF): https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasffwindow/portal/index.cfm?event=searchResultList Accessed at 11.01.2014.
18. Shan W.C., Xi J.Z., Sun J., Zhang Y.J., Wang J.P.: Production of the monoclonal antibody against Sudan 4 for multi-immunoassay of Sudan dyes in egg. Food Control 2012, 27, 146-152.
19. Sigma Aldrich products: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/analytical-chromatography/sample-preparation/spe/hybridspe-ppt.htmL Accessed at: 11.01.2014.
20. The official portal site to Beijing, China: www.china.org.cn/english/health/189567.htm Accessed at 11.01.2014.
21. Wu Y.L., Li C., Xia X., Liu Y.J., Shen J.Z.: Development and validation of a confirmatory HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Sudan dyes in animal tissues and eggs. J Chromatogr Sci 2010, 48, 63-67.
22. Xu H., Heinze T. M., Paine D.D., Cerniglia C. E., Chen H.: Sudan azo dyes and Para Red degradation by prevalent bacteria of the human gastrointestinal tract. Anaerobe 2010, 16, 114-119.
23. Yan H., Wang H., Qiao J., Yang G.: Molecularly imprinted matrix solid-phase dispersion combined with dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction for the determination of four Sudan dyes in egg yolk. J Chromatogr A 2011, 1218, 2182-2188.
24. Yu C., Liu Q., Lan L., Hu B.: Comparison of dual solvent-stir bars microextraction and U-shaped hollow fiber-liquid phase microextraction for the analysis of Sudan dyes in food samples by high-performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet/mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2008, 1188, 124-131.
25. Zhixiang X., Shuo W., Guozhen F., Jiajia S., Yan Z.: On-line SPE coupled with LC for analysis of traces of Sudan dyes in foods. Chromatographia 2010, 71, 397-403.
26. Zhu T., Wang Q.: Non-destructive detection of Sudan dye duck eggs based on computer vision and fuzzy cluster analysis. Afr J Agric Res 2011, 6, 1177-1181.