1 Sub-Department of Preventive Veterinary and Avian Diseases, Institute of Biological Bases of Animal Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Life Sciences in Lublin, 20-612 Lublin, Poland
2 Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biology, University of Bialystok, 15-950 Bialystok, Poland
The aim of the study was to provide a detailed phenotypic and genotypic characterisation of Staphylococcus aureus strains and the group of microorganisms with unusual biochemical patterns (called Staphylococcus aureus-like) isolated from table chicken eggs. All of the strains tested exhibited resistance to at least one of the 17 antibiotics tested, and 55.55% of isolates were found to be resistant to five or more of them. PCR used for detection of the methicillin resistance gene (mecA) confirmed the presence of a specific product of 533 bp in the case of two of the isolated S. aureus-like strains. Analysis of the phylogenetic relationship between eight of S. aureus and ten S. aureus-like strains distinguished 18 macrorestriction profiles following digestion with SmaI endonuclease, indicating that there were no identical strains with the same macrorestriction profile. However, the presence of methicillin-resistant strains indicates a serious risk to consumer health.
10. Goh S.H., Byrne S.K., Zhang J.L., Chow A.W.: Molecular typing of Staphylococcus aureus on the basis of coagulase gene polymorphism. J Clin Microbiol 1992, 30, 1642-1645.
11. Graham J.C., Murphy O.M., Stewart D., Kearns A.M., Galloway A., Freeman R.: Comparison of PCR detection of mecA with methicillin and oxacillin disc susceptibility testing in coagulase-negative staphylococci. J Antimicrob Chemother 2000, 45, 111-113.
12. Hussain Z., Stoakes L., Lannigan R., Longo S., Nancekivell B.: Evaluation of screening and commercial methods for detection of methicillin resistance in coagulase-negative staphylococci. J Clin Microbiol 1998, 36, 273-274.
13. Isigidi B.K., Mathieu A.M., Devriese L.A., Godard C., Van Hoof J.: Enterotoxin production in different Staphylococcus aureus biotypes isolated from food and meat plants. J Appl Bacteriol 1992, 72, 16-20.
14. Kloss W.E., Bannerman T.L.: Update on clinical significance of coagulase-negative staphylococci. Clin Microbiol Rev 1994, 7, 117-140.
15. Lotter L.P., Genigeorgis C.A.: Isolation of coagulase-positive variants from coagulase-negative enterotoxigenic staphylococci. Zentralbl Bakteriol Orig A 1977, 239, 18-30.
16. Luczak-Kadlubowska A., Krzyszton-Russjan J., Hryniewicz W.: Characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated in Poland in 1996 to 2004 that were deficient in species-specific proteins. J Clin Microbiol 2006, 44, 4018-4024.
17. MacFaddin J.F.: Coagulase test. In: Biochemical test for identification of medical bacteria, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2000, pp. 105-119.
18. Malinowski E., Lassa H., Kłossowska A., Smulski S., Kaczmarowski M.: Atypical Staphylococcus aureus as an aetiological agent of mastitis in cows. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2009, 53, 383-387.
19. Phonimdaeng P., O’Reilly M., Nowlan P., Bramley A.J., Foster T.J.: The coagulase of Staphylococcus aureus 8325-4 sequence analysis and virulence of site-specific coagulase- deficient mutants. Mol Microbiol 1990, 4, 393-404.
20. Priest F.G., Austin B.: Modern Bacterial Taxonomy, Chapman & Hall, London, 1993, p. 25.
21. Pyzik E., Marek A.: Characterization of bacteria of the genus Staphylococcus isolated from the eggs of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Polish J Vet Sci 2012, 15, 767-772.
22. Shimizu A., Berkhoff H.A., Kloss W.E., George C.G., Ballad D.N.: Genomic DNA fingerprinting, using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis of Staphylococcus intermedius isolated from dogs. Am J Vet Res 1996, 57, 1458-1462.
23. Tenover F.C., Arbeit R.D., Goering R.V., Mickelsen P.A., Murray B.E., Persing D.H., Swaminathan B.: Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing. J Clin Microbiol 1995, 33, 2233-2239.
24. Veras J.F., do Carmo L.S., Tong L.C., Shupp J.W., Cummings C., Dos Santos D.A., Cerqueira M.M., Cantini A., Nicoli J.R., Jett M.: A study of the enterotoxygenicity of coagulase-negative and coagulase-positive staphylococcal isolates from food poisoning outbreaks in Minas Gerais, Brazil. Int J Infect Dis 2008, 12, 410-415.
25. Voss A., Doebbeling B.N.: The Worldwide prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Int J Antimicrob Agents 1995, 5, 101-106.
26. Wilkinson B.J., Maxwell S., Schaus S.M.: Classification and characteristics of coagulase-negative, methicillin-resistant staphylococci. J Clin Microbiol 1980, 12, 161-166.