The aim of the study was to demonstrate differences in the gene expression of signalling pathways between healthy dogs and dogs with chronic mitral valve disease in different heart failure groups. Blood samples were collected from 49 dogs of various breeds between 1.4 and 15.2 years of age. Isolated RNA samples were analysed for quality and integrity and the gene expression profile was determined. The study demonstrated that nucleated cells from peripheral blood can be used to assess the status of heart failure in dogs. Furthermore, significant differences in the expression of the genes were noticed between healthy dogs and dogs with clinical signs of chronic mitral valve disease. This is a preliminary non-invasive study showing the feasibility of genetic testing from peripheral blood nucleated cells, which at the same time has made it possible to set the future directions of genetic studies in clinical cases of canine chronic mitral valve disease.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Atkins C. Bonagura J. Ettinger S. Fox P. Gordon S. Haggstrom J. Hamlin R. Keene B. Luis-Fuentes V. Stepien R.: ACVIM consensus statement guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of canine chronic valvular heart disease. J Vet Intern Med 2009 23 1142-1150.
2. Aupperle H. Thielebein J. Kiefer B. Marz I. Dinges G. Schoon H.A.: An immunohistchemical study of the role of matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitor in chronic mitral valvular diease (valvular endocardiosis) in dogs. Vet J 2009 180 88-94.
3. Aupperle H. Thielebein J. Kiefer B. Marz I. Dinges G. Schoon H.A. Schubert A.: Expression of genes encoding matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and their tissue inhibitors (TIMPs) in normal and diseased canine mitral valves. J Comp Pathol 2009 140 271-277.
4. Disatian S. Ehrhart E.J. Zimmerman S. Orton E.C.: Interstitial cells from dogs with naturally occurring myxomatous mitral valve disease undergo phenotype transformation. J Heart Valve Dis 2008 17 402-412.
5. Garncarz M. Jank M. Łój M. Parzeniecka-Jaworska M.: A retrospective study of clinical signs and epidemiology of chronic valve disease in a group of 207 Dachshunds in Poland. Acta Vet Scand 2013 2013 55 52 doi:10.1186/1751-0147-55-52.
6. Garncarz M. Parzeniecka-Jaworska M. Łój M. Jank M. The use of peripheral blood nucleated cells for the transcriptomic characterization of heart disease in dogs. In: BSAVA Congress Proceedings. Gloucester 2013 580.
7. Hautala N. Tokola H. Luodonpää M. Puhakka J. Romppanen H. Vuolteenaho O. Ruskoaho H.: Pressure overload increases GATA4 binding activity via endothelin-1. Circulation 2001 103 730-735.
8. Kiczak L. Tomaszek A. Bania J. Pasławska U. Zacharski M. Noszczyk-Nowak A. Janiszewski A. Skrzypczak P. Ardehali H. Jankowska E.A. Ponikowski P.: Expression and complex formation of MMP9 MMP2 NGAL and TIMP1 in porcine myocardium but not in skeletal muscles in male pigs with tachycardia-induced systolic heart failure. BioMed Res Int vol. 2013 Article ID 283856 doi: 10.1155/2013/283856.
9. Lee J.S. Pak S.I. Hyun C.: Calcium reuptake related genes as a cardiac biomarker in dogs with chronic mitral valvular insufficiency. J Vet Intern Med 2009 23 832-839.
10. Lemon D.D. Horn T.R. Cavasin M.A. Jeong M.Y. Haubold K.R. Long Carlin S.L. Irwin D.C. McCune S.A. Chung E. Leinwand L.A. McKinsey T.A.: Cardiac HDAC6 catalytic activity is induced in response to chronic hypertension. J Mol Cell Cardiol 2011 51 41-50.
11. Liu P.Y. Death A.K. Handelsman D.J.: Androgens and cardiovascular disease. Endocr Rev 2003 24 313-340.
12. Łój M. Garncarz M. Jank M.: Genomic and genetic aspects of heart failure in dogs - a review. Acta Vet Hung 2012 60 17-26.
13. Moon H.S. Choi E. Hyun C.: The cardiac sodium-calcium exchanger gene (NCX-1) is a potential canine cardiac biomarker of chronic mitral valvular insufficiency. J Vet Intern Med 2008 22 1360-1365.
14. Musunuru K.: Cell-specific RNA-binding proteins in human disease. Trends Cardiovasc Med 2003 13 188-195.
15. Na S.J. Han S.H. Kim H.W. Hyun C.: The cardiac biomarker sodium-calcium Exchange (NCX-1) can differentiate between heart failure and renal failure: a comparative study of NCX-1 expression in dogs with chronic mitral valvular insufficiency and azotemia. J Vet Intern Med 2010 24 1383-1387.
16. Obayashi K. Miyagawa-Tomita S. Matsumoto H. Koyama H. Nakanishi T. Hirose H. Effects of transforming growth factor- ß3 and matrix metalloproteinase-3 on the pathogenesis of chronic mitral valvular disease in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2011 72 194-202.
17. Olsen L.H. Fredholm M. Pdersen H.D.: Epidemiology and inheritance of mitral valve prolapsed in Dachshunds. J Vet Intern Med 1999 13 448-456.
18. Oyama M.A. Chittur S.V.: Genomic expression patterns of mitral valve tissues from dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease. Am J Vet Res 2006 67 1307-1318.
19. Parker H.G. Kilroy-Glynn P.: Myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs: does size matter? J Vet Cardiol 2012 14 19-29.
20. Pasławska U. Noszczyk-Nowak A. Nicpoń J.: An assessment of left ventricular systoli function with the use of a continuous Doppler imaging in dogs with spontaneous mitral regurgitation. A preliminary study. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2012 56 399-402.
21. Rush J.E. Canine chronic valvular heart disease: pathology and pathogenesis. In: Proceedings of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine - Cardiology Forum 2004 58.
22. Stanley W.C. Recchia F.A. Lopaschuk G.D.: Myocardial substrate metabolism in the normal and failing heart. Physiol Rev 2005 85 1093-1129.
23. Van Hemelrijck M. Garmo H. Holmberg L. Ingelsson E. Bratt O. Bill-Axelson A. Lambe M. Stattin P. Adolfsson J.: Absolute and relative risk of cardiovascular disease in men with prostate cancer: results from the population-based PCBaSe Sweden. J Clin Oncol 2010 28 3448-3456.
24. Van Loon J.E. Leebeek F.W.G. Deckers J.W. Dippel D.W.J. Poldermans D. Strachan D.P. Tang W. O’Donnell C.J. Smith N.L. De Maat M.P.M.: Effect of genetic variations in syntaxin-binding protein-5 and syntaxin-2 on von Willebrand factor concentration and cardiovascular risk. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2010 3 507-512.
25. Zheng J. Chen Y. Pat B. Dell’italia L.A. Tillson M. Dillon A.R. Powell P.C. Shi K. Shah N. Denney T. Husain A. Dell’Italia L.J.: Microarray identifies extensive downregulation of noncollagen extracellular matrix and profibrotic growth factor genes in chronic isolated mitral regurgitation in the dog. Circulation 2009 119 2086-2095.