A multiresidue method for determination and quantification of Fusarium mycotoxins: deoxynivalenol, zearalenone, T-2 toxin, HT-2 toxin, and metabolite of Aspergillus and Penicillium species - ochratoxin A in feeds was described. The method was based on the simultaneous extraction of selected mycotoxins from matrix, followed by liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry using a hybrid triple quadrupole - linear ion trap mass spectrometer with the multiple reaction monitoring in both positive- and negative-ion modes. The method was validated in accordance with the Commision Decision 2002/657/EC requirements. The mean recoveries of mycotoxins from spiked feed samples ranged from 74.6% to 113.9%, whereas limit of detection and quantification ranged from 0.72 to 12.4 μg/kg and 1.86 to 31.7 μg/kg, respectively.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Berthiller F. Sulyok M. Krska R. Schuhmacher R.: Chromatographic methods for the simultaneous determination of mycotoxins and their conjugates in cereals. Int J Food Microbiol 2007 119 33-37.
2. Chełkowski J.: Mikotoksyny i grzyby toksynotworcze jako istotny wskaźnik jakości żywności i pasz. Polskie Drobiarstwo 2008 10 22-26.
3. Dworecka - Kaszak B.: Mikologia weterynaryjna. Edited by SGGW Warszawa 2008.
4. European Commission Regulation No. 576/2006. Off J Eur Commun L 229 7-9.
5. European Commission Regulation No. 1881/2006. Off J Eur Commun L 364 15-17.
6. European Commission Regulation No. 401/2006. Off J Eur Commun L 70 12-34.
7. European Commission Regulation No. 152/2009. Off J Eur Commun L 54 1-130.
8. European Commission Regulation No. 165/2013. Off J Eur Commun L 91 9-12.
9. European Commission Regulation of 12 August 2002 No. 657/2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC.
10. Hussein H.S. Brasel J.M.: Toxicity metabolism and impact of mycotoxins on humans and animals. Toxicology 2001 167 101-134.
11. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans - some traditional herbal medicines some mycotoxins naphthalene and styrene 2002 82 169-345.
12. Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements Food Safety and Quality - Geel Belgium: Method for the simultaneous determination of deoxynivalenol HT-2 toxin T-2 toxin and zearalenone in unprocessed cereals and cereal-based compound animal feeds 2011.
13. Kokkonem Meri K. Jestoi Marika N.: A multi - compound LCMS/ MS method for the screening of mycotoxins in grains. Food Anal Method 2009 2 128-140.
14. Kolenda M. Mroczkowski S.: Fusarium mycotoxins and methods of assessing the mycotoxicity: a review. J Centr Europ Agric 2013 1 169-180.
15. Korbas M. Ławecki T.: The possibility of reducing Fusarium blight in Poland and in the European Union. Postępy w Ochronie Roślin 2003 41 200-207.
16. Monbaliu S. Van Poucke C. Detavernier C. Dumoulin F. Van De Velde M. Schoeters E. Van Dyck S. Averkieva O. Van Peteghem C. De Saeger S.: Occurrence of mycotoxins in feed as analyzed by a multi-mycotoxin LC-MS/MS method. J Agric Food Chem 2010 58 66-71.
17. Oueslati S. Romero-Gonzalez R. Lasram S. Frenich A.G. Vidal J.L.: Multi-mycotoxin determination in cereals and derived products marketed in Tunisia using ultra-high performance liquid chromatography coupled to triple quadrupole mass spectrometry. Food Chem Toxicol 2012 50 2376-2381.
18. Piotrowska M.: The use of microorganisms for the removal of mycotoxins in food and feed. Post Mikrobiol 2012 51 109-119.
19. Soleimany F. Jinap S. Abas F.: Determination of mycotoxins in cereals by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Food Chem 2012 130 1055-1060.
20. Soleimany F. Jinap S. Faridah A. Khatib A.: A UPLC - MS/MS for simultaneous determination of aflatoxins ochratoxin A zearalenone DON fumonisins T-2 toxin and HT-2 toxin in cereals. Food Control 2012 25 647-653.
21. Song S. Ediage E.N. Wu A. De Saeger S.: Development and application of salting-out assisted liquid/liquid extraction for multi-mycotoxin biomarkers analysis in pig urine with high performance liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2013 1292 111-120.
22. Sulyok M. Krska R. Schuhmacher R.: Application of a liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometric method to multi - mycotoxin determination in raw cereals and evaluation of matrix effects. Food Additives and Contaminants 2007 24(10) 1184-1195.
23. Sweeney M. Dobson A.: Mycotoxin production by AspergillusFusarium and Penicillium species. Int. J. Food Microbiol 1998 43 141-158.
24. Tanaka H. Takino M. Sugita-Konishi Y. Tanaka T.: Development of a liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometric method for the simultaneous determination of trichothecenes zearalenone and aflatoxins in foodstuffs. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2006 20 1422-1428.
25. Zollner P. Mayer-Helm B.: Trace mycotoxin analysis in complex biological and food matrices by liquid chromatographyatmospheric pressure ionization mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2006 1136 123-169.