Autoradiography was used to visualise an internal radiation in the vibrissae of a wild masked palm civet (Paguma larvata) carcass found in a highly radioactive contamination area within 50 km from the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident site. Autoradiogram of the vibrissae revealed a higher density in the root than in the shaft showing a stripe pattern; the γ-ray spectrum of the vibrissae showed peaks of 134Cs and 137Cs. The radiocaesium taken into the body was responsible for its distribution into the vibrissae shaft during its growth. The stripe pattern indicated that internal radiation exposure was intermittent. This finding suggests that autoradiography of vibrissae is a suitable method for assessment of the history of internal radiation exposure in wild mammals, such as masked palm civet.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Adams B.J. Holloway E.C. George F. Quig D.: Analyses of toxic metals and essential minerals in the hair of Arizona children with autism and associated conditions and their mothers. Biol Trace Elem Res 2006 110 193-209.
2. Campbell D.J.: Hair analysis: a diagnostic tool for measuring mineral status in humans. J Orthomol Psychiatry 1985 14 276-280.
3. Dvořák P. Snášel P. Beňová K.: Transfer of radiocesium into wild boar meat. Acta Vet Brno 2010 79 85-91.
4. Gonzalez L.A. Li H. Mitch M. Tolk N. Duggan M.D.: Energy response of an imaging plate exposed to standard beta sources. Appl Radiat Isot 2002 57 875-882.
5. Hammarström L.: Autoradiography and histochemistry of mineralized tissues by means of the Ullberg freeze-sectioning technique. Ups J Med Sci 1986 91 239-243.
6. Hirons C.A. Schell M.D. Aubin J.S.D.: Growth rates vibrissae of harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) and Steller sea lions. Canadian J Zool 2001 79 1053-1061.
7. Ibrahim L. Wright A.E.: The growth of rats and mice vibrissae under normal and some abnormal conditions. J Embryol Exp Morphol 1975 33 831-844.
8. Lyne A.G. Downes A.M. Chase H.B.: Growth of vibrissae in the marsupial Trichosurus vulpecula. Aust J Zool 1974 22 117-129.
9. Miki A. Katagi M. Tsuchihashi H.: Recent improvements in forensic hair analysis for illicit drugs. J Health Sci 2003 49 325-332.
10. Yamaguchi T. Sawano K. Furuhama K. Mori C. Yamada K.: An autoradiogram of skeletal muscle from a pig raised on a farm within 20 km of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. J Vet Med Sci 2013 75 93-94.