A total of 142 chicken blood samples were collected and a specific primer set was used to amplify a fragment of growth hormone locus using PCR. PCR products were digested with SacI and MspI restriction endonucleases. The amplified fragment digested with SacI enzyme revealed two “+” (wild type) and “-” (normal type) alleles with the frequency of 0.898 and 0.102, respectively. The amplified fragment digested with MspI enzyme revealed three A, B and C alleles with the frequency of 0.599, 0.102, and 0.299, respectively. Frequencies of +/+, +/- and -/- were 0.817, 0.162, and 0.021, respectively, and those of AA, AB, AC, BB, BC, and CC were 0.338, 0.113, 0.409, 0.007, 0.070, and 0.063, respectively, in the studied population. The results of 2 and likelihood ratio tests showed that this population was at Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium with respect to the marker locus. Marker-trait association analysis revealed statistically significant differences between “SacI-RFLP” genotypes for egg production and rate of laying eggs. The relationship between the molecular marker and these traits can be useful to improve the chicken breeding programmes.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Astrid A. Yoshie O. Yoshihito S. Keiich S. Koichi C. Yoshiaki O. Kazuo K.: Effects of GH gene polymorphism and sex on carcass traits and fatty acid compositions in Japanese Black cattle. Anim Sci J 2009 80 62-69.
2. Barta A. Richards R.I. Baxter JD. Shine J.: Primary structure and evolution of rat growth hormone gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1981 78 4867-4871.
3. Bernardini S. Argenton F. Vianello S. Colombo L. Bortolussi M.: Regulatory regions in the promoter and third intron of the growth hormone gene in rain- bow trout “Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum”. Gen Comp Endocrinol 1999 116 261-271.
4. Byrne C.R. Wilson B.W. Ward K.A.: The isolation and characterization of the ovine growth hormone gene. Aust J Biol Sci 1987 40 459-68.
5. Das P. Meyer L. Seyfert H.M. Brockmann G. Schwerin M.: Structure of the growth hormone-encoding gene and its promoter in mice. Gene 1996 169 209-213.
6. DeNoto F.M. Moore D.D. Goodman H.M.: Human growth hormone DNA sequence and mRNA structure: Possible alternative splicing. Nucleic Acids Res 1981 9 3719-3730.
7. Feng X.P. Kuhnlein U. Aggrey S.E. Gavora J.S. Zadworny D.: Trait association of genetic markers in the growth hormone and growth hormone receptor gene in a White Leghorn strain. Poult Sci 1997 76 1770-1775.
8. Fiddes J.C. Seeburg P.H. DeNoto F.M. Hallewell R.A. Baxter J.D. Goodman H.M.: Structure of genes for human growth hormone and chorionic somatomammotropin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1979 76 4294-4298.
9. Kansaku N. Nakada A. Okabayashi H. Guemene D. Kuhnlein U.: DNA polymorphism in the chicken growth hormone gene: Association with egg production. Anim Sci J 2003 74 243-244.
10. Kansaku N. Hiyama G. Sasanami T. Zadworny D.: Prolactin and growth hormone in birds: Protein structure gene structure and genetic variation. J Poult Sci 2008 45 1-6.
11. Kioka N. Manabe E. Abe M. Hashi H. Yato M. Okuno M. Yamano Y. Sakai H. Komano T. Utsumi K. Iritani A.: Cloning and sequencing of goat growth hormone gene. Agric Biol Chem 1989 53 1583-1587.
12. Kuhnlein U. Liu N. Weigend S. Gavora J.S. Fairfull W. Zadworny D.: DNA polymorphisms in the chicken growth hormone gene: response to selection for disease resistance and association with egg production. Anim Genet 1997 28 116-123.
13. Lagziel A. Lipkin E. Ezra E. Soller M. Weller J.I.: An MspI polymorphism at the bovine growth hormone (bGH) gene is linked to a locus affecting milk protein percentage. Anim Genet 1999 30 296-299.
14. Lei M. Luo C. Peng X. Fang M. Nie Q. Zhang D. Yang G. Zhang X.: Polymorphism of growth-correlated genes associated with fatness and muscle fiber traits in chickens. Poult Sci 2007 86 835-842.
15. Liu H.C. Kung H.J. Fulton J.E. Morgan R.W. Cheng H.H.: Growth hormone interacts with the Marek’s disease virus SORF2 protein and is associated with disease resistance in chicken. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001 98 9203-9208.
16. Moore D.D. Marks A.R. Buckley D.I. Kapler G. Payvar F. Goodman H.M.: The first intron of the human growth hormone gene contains a binding site for glucocorticoid receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1985 82 699-702.
17. Mou L. Liu N. Zadworny D. Chalifour L. Kuhnlein U.: Presence of an additional PstI fragment in intron 1 of the intron 1 of the chicken growth hormone- encoding gene. Gene 1995 160 313-314.
18. Nie Q. Stephen C.Y. Zhang X. Leung F.C. Yang G.: New variations in intron 4 of growth hormone gene in Chinese native chickens. J Hered 2002 93 277-279.
19. Nie Q. Sun B. Zhang D. Luo C. Ishag N.A. Lei M. Yang G. Zhang X.: High diversity of the chicken growth hormone gene and effects on growth and carcass traits. J Hered 2005 96 698-703.
20. Raymond M. Rousset F.: GENEPOP Version 1.2: Population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Hered 1995 86 248-249.
21. SAS: SAS user’s guide. Statistical version 2004 SAS Institute Inc. Cary North Carolina USA.
22. Slater E.P. Rabenau O. Karin M. Baxter J.D. Beato M.: Glucocorticoid receptor binding and activation of a heterologous promoter by dexamethasone by the first intron of the human growth hormone gene. Mol Cell Biol 1985 5 2984-2992.
23. Stephen C.Y. Zhang X. Leung F.C.: Genomic growth hormone gene polymorphisms in native Chinese chickens. Exp Biol Med 2001 226 458-462.
24. Tanaka M. Hosokawa Y. Watahiki M. Nakashima K.: Structure of the chicken growth hormone-encoding gene and its promoter region. Gene 1992 112 235-239.
25. Vasilatos-Younken R. Zhou Y. Wang X. McMurtry J.P. Rosebrough W. Decuypere E. Buys N. Darras M. Geyten V. Tomas F.: Altered chicken thyroid hormone metabolism with chronic GH enhancement in vivo: consequences for skeletal muscle growth. J Endocrinol 2000 166 609-620.
26. Vize P.D. Wells J.R.E.: Isolation and characterization of the porcine growth hormone gene. Gene 1987 55 339-344.
27. Woychik R.P. Camper S.A. Lyons R.H. Horowitz S. Goodwin E.C. Rottoman F.M.: Cloning and nucleotide sequencing of the bovine growth hormone gene. Nucleic Acids Res 1982 10 7192-7210.
28. Yan B. Deng X. Fei Q. Hu X. Wu C. Li N.: Association between single nucleotide polymorphisms of the chicken growth hormone gene and chicken growth and carcass traits. Chin Sci Bull 2003 48 1304-1307.
29. Zhang X.L. Jiang X. Liu Y.P. Du H.R. Zhu Q.: Identification of AvaI polymorphisms in the third intron of GH gene and their associations with abdominal fat in chickens. Poult Sci 2007 86 1079-1083.