The aim of this study was immunohistochemical evaluation of heat shock protein (Hsp70) and p-53 proteins in the Larginine- induced cellular stress in hepatocytes of rats. Sixteen white Wistar female rats were divided into two equal groups. The rats from the experimental group received per os 40 mg/kg b.w. of L-arginine every day for 2 weeks and were decapitated after 3 weeks of the experiment. The rats from the control group received in the same manner 2 ml of distilled water and were decapitated after 3 weeks of the experiment. After decapitation specimens from the liver were collected, fixed in 10% formalin, and then embedded in paraffin blocks. Proteins Hsp70 and p-53 were detected on slides using the standard three step immunohistochemical method. The quantitative evaluation of Hsp70 and p-53 expression showed that the area of positive staining in the liver of the experimental rats (Hsp70 305,763.00 μm² +/-58,289.66, p-53 9,551.42 μm² +/-1,078.86) was comparable to that in the control groups (Hsp70 291,636.80 μm² +/-34,492.31, p-53 14,104.67 μm² +/-3,571.35). Our experiment showed, that L-arginine as a precursor of exogenous nitric oxide given to rats in dose similar to that used in pregnant women treated for hypertension did not exhibit an influence on hepatocytes.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Appleton J.: Arginine: clinical potential of a semiessential amino. Altern Med Rev 2002 7 512-522.
2. Augustyniak A. Michalak K. Skrzydlewska E.: The action of oxidative stress induced by ethanol on the central nervous system (CNS). Postepy Hig Med Dosw 2005 59 464-471.
3. Chae I.H. Park K.W. Kim H.S. Oh B.H.: Nitric oxideinduced apoptosis is mediated by BAX/Bcl-2 gene expression transition of cytochrome C and activation of caspase-3 in rat vascular smooth muscle cells. Clin Chim Acta 2004 341 83-91.
4. Cherla G. Jaimes E.A.: Role of L-arginine in the pathogenesis and treatment of renal disease. J Nutr 2004 134 2801S-2806S.
5. Dash P.R. Cartwiright J.E. Baker P.N. Johnstone A.P. Whitley G.S.: Nitric oxide protects human extravillous trophoblast cells from apoptosis by a cylic GMPdependent mechanism and independently of caspase 3 nitrosilation. Exp Cell Res 2003 287 314-324.
6. Eu J.P. Liu L. Zeng M. Stamler J.S.: An apoptotic model for nitrosative stress. Biochemistry 2000 39 1040-1047.
7. Farzaneh P. Allameh A. Pratt S. Moore N. Travis l. Gottschalg E. Kind C. Fry J.: Increased heat shock protein 70 expression following toxicant-mediated cytotoxicity: a ubiquitous marker of toxicant exposure? Altern Lab Anim. 2005 33 105-110.
8. Gryglewski R.J.: Interactions between nitric oxide and prostacyclin. Semin Thromb Hemostas 1993 19 158-164.
9. Huguenin S. Fleury-Feith J. Kheuang L. Jourand M.C. Bolla M. Riffaud J.P. Chopin D.K. Vacherot F.: Nitrosulindac (NCX 1102): a new nitric oxide-donating non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NO-NSAID)inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in human prostatic epithelial cell lines. Prostate 2004 61 132-141.
10. Kastan M.B. Onyckwere O. Sidransky D. Vogelstein B. Craig R.W.: Participation of p-53 protein in the cellular response to DNA damage. Cancer Res 1991 51 6304-6311.
11. Kronon M.T. Allen B.S. Halldorsson A. Rahman S. Wang T. Ilbawi M.: Dose dependency of L-arginine in neonatal myocardial protection: the nitric oxide paradox. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1999 118 655-664.
12. Mukhopadhyay I. Nazir A. Saxena D.K. Chowdhuri D.K.: Toxicity of cypermethrin: HSp70 as a biomarker of response in transgenic Drosophila. Biomarkers 2002 7 501-510.
13. Pedrycz A. Kot K. Olesiński I.: Immunohistochemical evaluation of caspase 3 expression in rats' hepatocytes after L-arginine therapy. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2010 54 101-103.
14. Rolye J.S. Ross J.A. Ansell I. Bollina P. Tulloch D.N. Habib F.K.: Nitric oxide donating nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs induce apoptosis in human prostate cancer cell systems and human prostatic stroma via caspase-3. J Urol 2004 172 338-344.
15. Rytlewski K. Olszanecki R. Korbut R. Zdebski Z.: Effects of prolonged oral supplementation with larginine on blood pressure and nitric oxide synthesis in preeclampsia: Eur J Clin Invest 2005 35 32-37.
16. Rytlewski K. Zdebski Z.: Nitric oxide - one of the mechanisms that prevent changes that occur during pregnancy. Gin Pol 2001 72 738-743.
17. Soti C. Nagy E. Giricz Z. Vigh l. Csermely P. Ferdinandy P.: Heat shock proteins as emerging therapeutic targets. Br J Pharmacol 2005 146 769-780.
18. Steele R.J.C. Thompson A.M. Hall A.P. Lane D.P.: The p53 tumor suppressor gene. Br J Surg 1998 85 1460-1467.
19. Yoo J.L. Janz D.M.: Tissue-specific HSP70 levels and reproductive physiological responses in fishes inhabiting a metal-contaminated creek. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 2003 45 110-120.