Background: In Montenegro, there is a growing awareness of the necessity to further develop sustainable forms of tourism and foster economic development of mostly agrarian northern rural areas. However, this is of the utmost importance not only for sustaining local economy, but also for creating more balanced framework for territorial development.
Objectives: Paper aims to set a framework for studying the role of innovations and entrepreneurship in developing sustainable agro-tourism in Montenegro through identifying main resources, obstacles, challenges and potentials of the process.
Methods/Approach: The analysis is based on both review of the secondary sources and the fieldwork conducted between June and October 2015 in rural areas of Kuci and Durmitor, as well as the number of interviews with farmers and tourism professionals from the country.
Results: The results highlighted the low levels of both entrepreneurial culture and hospitality awareness amongst local population, lack of investments, infrastructural backwardness and insufficient government support as the main obstacles to developing successful and sustainable agro-tourism ventures.
Conclusions: Public bodies should create a comprehensive strategy for sustainable tourism development, which should focus on providing incentives, training and support to the farmers eager to diversify their agro-activities through entrepreneurial actions.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aidis, R. (2005), “Entrepreneurship in transition countries: a review”, Economics Working Papers 61, Centre for the Study of Economic and Social Change in Europe, SSEES, UCL, London, UK.
2. Barbieri, C., Mshenga, P. M. (2008), “The Role of the Firm and Owner Characteristics on the Performance of Agritourism Farms”, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 166-183.
3. Beritelli, P. (2011), “Cooperation among prominent actors in a tourist destination”, Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 607-629.
4. Brscic, K. (2006), “The impact of agrotourism on agricultural production”, Journal of Central Europea Agriculture, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 559-563.
5. Choenkwan, S. (2015), “Agricultural Systems in the Mountains of Northeastern Thailand”, PhD dissertation, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
6. Dimitrovski, D. D., Todorović, A. T., Valjarević, D. (2012), “Rural tourism and regional development: Case study of development of rural tourism in the region of Gruža, Serbia”, Procedia Environmental Sciences, Vol. 14, pp. 288-297.
7. Fahmi, Z., Samah, B. A., Abdullah, H. (2013), “Paddy Industry and Paddy Farmers Well-being: A Success Recipe for Agriculture Industry in Malaysia”, Asian Social Science, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 177-181.
8. Frazier, B. J., Niehm, L. S. (2004), “Exploring business information networks of small retailers in rural communities”, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 23-42.
9. Gaddefors, J. (2005), “Creating context – entrepreneurial opportunities in a consumer market setting”, Journal of Enterprising Culture, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 197-222.
10. George, H., Rilla, E. (2008). Agritourism Enterprises on Your Farm or Ranch: Where to Start, University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Publication 8334, Oakland.
11. Go, F. M., Govers, R. (2000), “Integrated quality management for tourist destinations: a European perspective on achieving competitiveness”, Tourism Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 79-88.
12. Hall, D. (2004), “Rural tourism development in southeastern Europe: transition and the search for sustainability”, International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 119-203.
13. Iakovidou, O. (1997), “Agro-tourism in Greece: the case of women agro-tourism co-operatives of Ambelakia”, MEDIT, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 44-47.
14. Jaafar, M., Kayat, K., Tangit, T. M., Yacob, M. F. (2013), “Nature-based rural tourism and its economic benefits: A case study of Kinabalu National Park”, Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 342-352.
15. Jeczmyk, A., Uglis, J., Graja-Zwolinska, S., Mackowiak, M., Spychala, A., Sikora, J. (2015), “Research note: Economic benefits of agritourism development in Poland - An empirical study”, Tourism Economics, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1120-1126.
16. Keller, P. (2010), “Introduction”, in Weiermair, K., Keller, P., Pechlaner, H., Go, F. (Eds), Innovation and entrepreneurship. Strategies and processes for success in tourism, Erich Schmidt Verlag GmbH, Berlin, pp. 11-17.
17. Lordkipanidze, D., Vekua, A., Ferring, R., Rightmire, G. P., Zollikofer, C. P.E., Ponce de León, M. S., Agusti, J., Kiladze, G., Mouskhelishvili, A., Nioradze, M., Tappen, M. (2006), “A fourth hominin skull from Dmanisi, Georgia”, The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology, Vol. 288A, No. 11, pp. 1146-1157.
18. Mahmoudi, B., Haghsetan, A., Raheleh, M. (2011), “Investigation of Obstacles and Strategies of Rural Tourism Development Using SWOT Matrix”, Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 4, No.2, pp. 136-141.
19. McElwee, G. (2006), “Farmers as entrepreneurs: Developing competitive skills”, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 187-206.
20. McElwee, G. (2008), “Special issue on the rural entrepreneur: Problems of definition”, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 319-320.
21. McGehee, N. G. (2007), “An agritourism systems model: a Weberian perspective”, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 111-124.
22. McGehee, N. G., Kim, K. (2004), “Motivation for agri-tourism entrepreneurship”, Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 161-170.
23. Moric, I. (2013), “Clusters as a Factor of Rural Tourism Competitiveness: Montenegro Experiences”, Business Systems Research, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 94-107.
24. Nunkoo, R., Gursoy, D. (2012), “Residents’ support for tourism: An identity perspective”, Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 243-268.
26. Phillip, S., Hunter, C., Blackstock, K. (2010), “A typology for defining agritourism”, Tourism Management, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 754-758.
27. Pribeanu, G., Toader, C. S., Sambotin, D. (2014), “Entrepreneurial Policis in Tourism and Agro-tourism”, Lucrări Științifice Management Agricol, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 77-82.
28. Roberts, L., Hall, D. (2001). Rural Tourism and Recreation: Principles to Practice, CAB International, Wallingford.
29. Schendel, D., Hitt, M. A. (2007), “Introduction to Volume 1”, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Vol. 1, pp. 1-6.
30. Schilling, B. J., Sullivan, K. P., Komat, S. J. (2012), “Examining the economic benefits of agritourism: The case of New Jersey”, Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, Vol. 3, No.1, pp. 199-214.
31. Sima, E. (2016), “Agro-tourism entrepreneurship in the context of increasing the rural business competitiveness in Romania”, Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 119-130.
32. Sonnino, R. (2004), “For a ‘Piece of Bread’? Interpreting sustainable development through agritourism in Southern Tuscany”, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 285-300.
33. Wall, G. (2000), “Agrotourism”, in Jafari, J. (Ed.), Encyclopaedia of tourism, Routledge, London, pp. 14-15.
34. Wicks, B. E., Merrett, C. D. (2003), “Agritourism: An economic opportunity for Illinois”, Rural Research Report, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 1-8.
35. Zoto, S., Qirici, E., Polena, E. (2013), “Agrotourism – A sustainable development for rural area of Korca”, European Academic Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 209-223.