Background: The stock exchange, as a regulated financial market, in modern economies reflects their economic development level. The stock market indicates the mood of investors in the development of a country and is an important ingredient for growth. Objectives: This paper aims to introduce an additional statistical tool used to support the decision-making process in stock trading, and it investigate the usage of statistical process control (SPC) methods into the stock trading process. Methods/Approach: The individual (I), exponentially weighted moving average (EWMA) and cumulative sum (CUSUM) control charts were used for gaining trade signals. The open and the average prices of CROBEX10 index stocks on the Zagreb Stock Exchange were used in the analysis. The statistical control charts capabilities for stock trading in the short-run were analysed. Results: The statistical control chart analysis pointed out too many signals to buy or sell stocks. Most of them are considered as false alarms. So, the statistical control charts showed to be not so much useful in stock trading or in a portfolio analysis. Conclusions: The presence of non-normality and autocorellation has great impact on statistical control charts performances. It is assumed that if these two problems are solved, the use of statistical control charts in a portfolio analysis could be greatly improved.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Almenberg J. Dreber A. (2012) “Gender Stock Market Participation and Financial Literacy” SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance No. 737 available at http://swopec.hhs.se/hastef/papers/hastef0737.pdf (29 September 2014).
2. Benić V. Franić I. (2008) “Stock Market Liquidity: Comparative Analysis of Croatian and Regional Markets” Financial Theory and Practice Vol. 32 No. 4 pp. 477-498.
3. Bogan V. (2008) “Stock Market Participation and the Internet” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis Vol. 43 No. 1 pp. 191-212.
4. Box G. E. P. Luceno A. Paniagua-Quinones M. D. C. (2009) “Statistical Control by Monitoring and Adjustment” 2nd ed. New Jersey John Wiley & Sons.
5. Caporale G. M. Howells P. G. A Soliman A. M. (2004) “Stock market development and economic growth: The causal linkage” Journal of Economic Development Vol. 29 No. 1 pp. 33-50.
6. Chen T. (2010) “On reducing false alarms in multivariate statistical process control” Chemical Engineering Research and Design Vol. 88 No. 4 pp. 430-436.
7. del Castillo E. (2002) “Statistical Process Adjustment for Quality Control” New York John Wiley & Sons.
8. Dumičić K. Žmuk B. (2011a) “Metode statističke kontrole kvalitete” (“Statistical Quality Control Methods”) in Dumičić K. Bahovec V. (Eds.) Poslovna statistika (Business Statistics) Zagreb Element pp. 459-539.
9. Dumičić K. Žmuk B. (2011b) “Monitoring delivery time with control charts” in Katalinić. B. (Ed.) Annals of DAAAM for 2011 & Proceedings of the 22nd DAAAM International World Symposium Vienna Austria November 24-26 2011 Vienna DAAAM International Vienna pp. 1199-1200.
10. Gandy A. (2012) “Performance monitoring of credit portfolios using survival analysis” International Journal of Forecasting Vol. 28 No. 1 pp. 139-144.
11. Guiso L. Sapienza P. Zingales L. (2008) “Trusting the Stock Market” The Journal of Finance Vol. 63 No. 6 pp. 2557-2600.
12. Hong H. Kubik J. D. Stein J. C. (2004) “Social Interaction and Stock-Market Participation” The Journal of Finance Vol. 59 No. 1 pp. 137-163.
13. Hunter J. S. (1986) “The Exponentially Weighted Moving Average” Journal of Quality Technology Vol. 18 No. 4 pp. 203-210.
14. Liu C. S. Tien F. C. (2011) “An Evaluation of Single-Featured EWMA-X (SFEWMAX) Control Chart with Process Mean Shifts and Standard Deviation Changes” International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering Vol. 9 No. 2 pp. 111-121.
15. Manas A. T. (2005) “The increasing relevance of the stock market in the world: A new scenario” available at http://www2.uah.es/iaes/publicaciones/DT_01_05.pdf (29 September 2014).
16. McNeese W. Wilson W. (2002) “Using time series charts to analyse financial data” available at http://www.spcforexcel.com/files/timeseriesfinancial.pdf (30 September 2014).
17. Montgomery D. C Friedman D. J. (1989) “Statistical process control in computer integrated manufacturing environment” in Keats J. B. Hubele N. F. (Eds.) Statistical Process Control in Automated Manufacturing New York Marcel Dekker pp. 67-88.
18. Montgomery D. C. (2013) “Statistical Quality Control: A Modern Introduction” 7th ed. Singapore John Wiley & Sons.
19. Montgomery D. C. Jennings C. L. Pfund M. E. (2011a) “Managing Controlling and Improving Quality” New Jersey John Wiley & Sons.
20. Montgomery D. C. Runger G. C. (2011b) “Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers” New Jersey John Wiley & Sons.
21. Page E. S. (1954) “Continuous Inspection Scheme” Biometrika Vol. 41 No. 1-2 pp. 100-115.
22. Rebisz B. (2014) “Appliance of Quality Control Charts for Sovereign Risk Modelling” available at http://iriaf.univ-poitiers.fr/images/medias/fichier/v-s3-4-rebisz_1402061581460-pdf (30 September 2014).
23. Riaz M. Abbas N. Does R. J. M. M. (2011) “Improving the Performance of CUSUM Charts” Quality and Reliability Engineering International Vol. 27 No. 4 pp. 415-424.
24. Roberts S. W. (1959) “Control Chart Tests based on Geometric Moving Averages” Technometrics Vol. 1 No. 3 pp. 239-250.
25. Ryu J. H. Wan H. Kim S. (2010) “Optimal Design of a CUSUM Chart for a Mean Shift of Unknown Size” Journal of Quality Technology Vol. 42 No. 3 pp. 311-326.
26. SAS Institute (2014) “Statistical Details for CUSUM Control Charts” available at http://www.jmp.com/support/help/Statistical_Details_for_CUSUM_Control_Charts. shtml (3 October 2014).
27. Tachiwou A. M. (2010) “Stock Market Development and Economic Growth: The Case of West African Monetary Union” International Journal of Economics and Finance Vol. 2 No. 3 pp. 97-103.
28. van Rooij M. Lusardi A. Alessie R. (2011) “Financial literacy and stock market participation” Journal of Financial Economics Vol. 101 No. 2 pp. 449-472.
29. Wild C. J. Seber G. A. F. (1999) “Chance Encounters: A First Course in Data Analysis and Inference” New York John Wiley & Sons.
30. Zagreb Stock Exchange (2014a) “2013 Trading Summary” available at http://zse.hr/UserDocsImages/reports/ZSE-2013-eng.pdf (1 October 2014).
31. Zagreb Stock Exchange (2014b) “Historical Overview” available at http://zse.hr/default.aspx?id=32877 (1 October 2014).
32. Zagreb Stock Exchange (2014c) “Index CROBEX10” available at http://zse.hr/default.aspx?id=44102&index=CROBEX10 (1 October 2014).
33. Zagreb Stock Exchange (2014d) “Indices” available at http://zse.hr/default.aspx?id=43539 (1 October 2014).