Background: The rise of cloud services has led to a drastic growth of e-commerce and a greater investment in development of new cloud services systems by related industries. For SaaS developers, it is important to understand customer needs and make use of available resources at as early as the system design and development stage. Objectives: This study integrates E-commerce Systems (ECS) Success model and Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA) into empirical research of the critical factors for cloud ordering system success. Methods/Approach: A survey research is conducted to collect data on customer perceptions of the importance and performance of each attribute of the particular cloud ordering service. The sample is further divided according to the degree of use of online shopping into high-usage users and low-usage users in order to explore their views regarding the system and generate adequate coping strategies. Results: Developers of online ordering systems can refer to the important factors obtained in this study when planning strategies of product/service improvement. Conclusions: The approach proposed in this study can also be applied to evaluation of other kinds of cloud services systems.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ainin S. Hisham N. H. (2008) “Applying Importance-Performance Analysis to Information Systems: An Exploratory Case Study” Journal of Information Information Technology and Organizations Vol. 3 pp. 95-103.
2. Armbrust M. et al. (2010) “A View of Cloud Computing” Communications of the ACM Vol. 53 No. 4 pp. 50-58.
3. Brown I. Jayakody R. (2008) “B2C e-Commerce Success: a Test and Validation of a Revised Conceptual Model” The Electronic Journal Information Systems Evaluation Vol. 11 No. 3 pp.167-184.
4. Buyya R. Yeo C. S. Venugopal S. (2008) “Market-oriented cloud computing: Vision hype and reality for delivering it services as computing utilities” in: 10th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications 2008 Dalian pp. 5-13.
5. Chen J. V. et al. (2013) “Success of electronic commerce Web sites: A comparative study in two countries” Information & Management Vol. 50 No. 6 pp. 344-355.
6. Christodoulides G. Michaelidou N. Siamagka N-T. (2013) “A typology of internet users based on comparative affective states: evidence from eight countries” European Journal of Marketing Vol. 47 No. 1/2 pp. 153-173.
7. DeLone W. H. McLean E. R. (1992) “Information systems success: The quest for the dependent variable” Information Systems Research Vol. 3 No.1 pp. 60-95.
8. DeLone W. H. McLean E. R. (2003) “The DeLone and Mclean model of information systems success: A ten-year update” Journal of Management Information Systems Vol. 19 No.4 pp. 9-30.
9. DeLone W. H. McLean E. R. (2004) “Measuring e-Commerce Success: Applying the DeLone & McLean Information Systems Success Model” International Journal of Electronic Commerce Vol. 9 No.1 pp. 31-47.
10. Dikaiakos M. D. et al. (2009) “Cloud Computing: Distributed Internet Computing for IT and Scientific Research” IEEE Internet Computing Vol. 13 No.5 pp. 10-13.
11. Fang Y. H. et al. (2011) “Understanding customers’ satisfaction and repurchase intentions: An integration of IS success model trust and justice” Internet Research Vol. 21 No.4 pp. 479-503.
12. Gainsbury S. et al. (2012) “A digital revolution: Comparison of demographic profiles attitudes and gambling behavior of Internet and non-Internet gamblers” Computers in Human Behavior Vol. 28 No. 4 pp. 1388-1398.
13. Habib S. M. et al. (2012) “Trust as a facilitator in cloud computing: a survey” Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances Systems and Applications Vol. 1 No. 1 pp. 1-19.
14. Hollenhorst S. Olson D. Fortney R. (1992) “Use of Importance- Performance Analysis to Evaluate State Park Cabins: The Case of the West Virginia State Park System” Journal of Park and Recreation Administration Vol. 10 No. 1 pp. 1-11.
15. Kim D. J. Ferrin D. L. Rao H. R. (2009) “Trust and satisfaction two stepping stones for successful e-commerce relationships” Information Systems Research Vol. 20 No. 2 pp. 237-257.
16. Lee K. (2012) “Security Threats in Cloud Computing Environments” International Journal of Security and Its Applications Vol. 6 No. 4 pp. 25-32.
17. Lee M. K. O. Turban E. (2001) “A trust model for consumer Internet shopping” International Journal of Electronic Commerce Vol. 6 No. 1 pp. 75-91.
18. Lin C. C. Wu H. Y. Chang Y. F. (2011) “The critical factors impact on online customer satisfaction” Procedia Computer Science Vol. 3 pp. 276-281.
19. Lohse G. L. Bellman S. Johnson E. J. (2000) “Consumer buying behavior on the internet: findings from panel data” Journal of Interactive Marketing Vol. 14 No.1 pp. 15-29.
20. Lu X. Ba S. Huang L. Feng Y. (2013). “Promotional Marketing or Word-of-Mouth? Evidence from Online Restaurant Reviews” Information Systems Research Vol. 24 No. 3 pp. 596-612.
21. MacQueen J. B. (1967) "Some Methods for classification and Analysis of Multivariate Observations" in: Proceedings of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability Berkeley University of California Press Vol. 1 pp. 281-297.
22. Martilla J. A. James J. C. (1977) “Importance-performance analysis” Journal of Marketing Vol. 41 No.1 pp. 77-79.
23. Mason R. O. (1978) “Measuring information output: A communication systems approach” Information & Management Vol. 1 No. 4 pp. 219-234.
24. McKnight D. H. Chervany N. L. (2002) “What trust means in e-commerce customer relationships: An interdisciplinary conceptual typology” International Journal of Electronic Commerce Vol. 6 No. 2 pp. 35-59.
25. Molla A. Licker P. (2001) “E-commerce success: An attempt to extend and respecify the Delone and Mclean model of IS success” Journal of Electronic Commerce Research Vol. 2 No. 4 pp. 131-141.
26. Naseri M. B. Elliott G. (2011) “Role of demographics social connectedness and prior internet experience in adoption of online shopping: Applications for direct marketing” Journal of Targeting Measurement and Analysis for Marketing Vol. 19 No. 2 pp. 69-84.
27. Neves F. T. et al. (2011) “The adoption of cloud computing by SMEs: identifying and coping with external factors” available at http://run.unl.pt/bitstream/10362/6166/1/Neves_Marta_Correia_Neto_2011.pdf (25 October 2014)
28. O'Neill S. (2011) “Forrester: Public Cloud Growth to Surge Especially SaaS” available at http://www.cio.com/article/2408798/cloud-computing/forrester--public-cloud-growth-to-surge--especially-saas.html (25 October 2014)
29. Pallis G. (2010) “Cloud Computing: The New Frontier of Internet Computing” IEEE Internet Computing Vol. 14 No.5 pp. 70-73.
30. Pitt L. F. Watson R. T. Kavan C. B. (1995) “Service Quality: A measure of information systems effectiveness” MIS Quarterly Vol. 19 No. 2 pp. 173-187.
31. Quaddus M. Achjari D. (2005) “A model for electronic commerce success” Telecommunications Policy Vol. 29 No. 2-3 pp.127-152.
32. Rani D. Ranjan R. K. (2014) “A Comparative Study of SaaS PaaS and IaaS in Cloud Computing” International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering Vol. 4 No. 6 pp. 458-461.
33. Roman S. (2010). “Relational consequences of perceived deception in online shopping: The moderation roles of type of products consumer's attitude toward the Internet and consumer's demographics” Journal of Business Ethics Vol. 95 No. 3 pp. 373-391.
34. Seddon P. Kiew M. Y. (1996) “A partial test and development of DeLone and McLean’s model of information systems success” The Australian Journal of Information System Vol. 4 No. 1 pp. 90-109.
35. Shannon C. E. Weaver W. (1949). The Mathematical Theory of Communication Urbana IL University of Illinois Press.
36. Skok W. Kophamel A. Richardson I. (2001) “Diagnosing information system success: importance-performance maps in the health club industry” Information & Management Vol. 38 No. 7 pp. 409-419.
37. Tan C. H. Teh Y. W. (2013) “Harnessing Cloud Computing for Dynamic Resource Requirement by Database Workloads” Journal of Information Science and Engineering Vol. 29 No. 5 pp. 793-810.
38. Torkzadeh G. Dhillon G. (2002). “Measuring Factors that Influence the Success of Internet Commerce” Information Systems Research Vol. 13 No.2 pp. 187-204.
39. Wang L. Laszewski G. V. KUNZE M. Tao J. (2010) “Cloud Computing: a Perspective Study” New Generation Computing Vol. 28 No. 2 pp. 137-146.
40. Wang Y. S. (2008) “Assessing e-commerce systems success: a respecification and validation of the DeLone and McLean model of IS success” Information Systems Journal Vol. 18 No. 5 pp. 529-557.
41. Zhu J. (2010) “Cloud Computing Technologies and Applications” in Furht B. Escalante A. (Eds.) Handbook of Cloud Computing Springer pp. 21-45.