Background: Monitoring systems decouple monitoring functionality from application and infrastructure layers and provide a set of tools that can invoke operations on the application to be monitored. Objectives: Our monitoring system is a powerful yet agile solution that is able to online observe and manipulate SOA (Service-oriented Architecture) applications. The basic monitoring functionality is implemented via lightweight components inserted into SOA frameworks thereby keeping the monitoring impact minimal. Methods/Approach: Our solution is software that hides the complexity of SOA applications being monitored via an architecture where its designated components deal with specific SOA aspects such as distribution and communication. Results: We implement an application-level and end-to-end monitoring with the end user experience in focus. Our tools are connected to a single monitoring system which provides consistent operations, resolves concurrent requests, and abstracts away the underlying mechanisms that cater for the SOA paradigm. Conclusions: Due to its flexible architecture and design our monitoring tools are capable of monitoring SOA application in Cloud environments without significant modifications. In comparisons with related systems we proved that our agile approaches are the areas where our monitoring system excels
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. AppDynamics (2011), "The Power of the Business Transaction: The New Way to Manage Application Performance", Business Whitepaper, available at http://www.appdynamics.com /(October 2011).
2. Ballou M. (2008), "Leveraging Performance Optimization for Business Advantage", Whitepaper, sponsored by dynaTrace software Inc., available at: http://www.compuware.com /(May 2011).
3. BMC Software (2009), "BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping", available at http://www.bmc.com /(Jun 2011).
4. Bode, A. (1994), "Parallel Program Performance Analysis and Visualization," Proceedings of Second Workshop on Environments And Tools For Parallel Scientific Computing, pp. 246- 253. Townsend, Tenessee, May, 25-27 , 1994.
5. Bosilj Vukšić, V., Indihar Štemberger, M., Kovačič A. (2008), "Business Process Management and Business Intelligence as Performance Measurement Drivers", The Business Review, Cambridge, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 338-343.
6. CA Technologies (2012), "CA Application Performance Management", Solution Brief, available at: http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx /(September 2012).
7. Forrester Consulting (2010), "Managing Performance of Critical Applications", White Paper, available at: http://www.opnet.com/whitepapers/index_apm.html /(June 2012).
8. Hailstone R. (2010), "Progress Responsive Process Management", Progress Software, Technology audit, available at: http://www.progress.com/en/business-need/responsiveprocess-management.html / (June 2011).
9. Hernaus, T., Pejić Bach, M., Bosilj Vukšić, V., (2012), “Influence of strategic approach to BPM on financial and non-financial performance”, Baltic Journal of Management, Vol. 7 No. 4; 376-396.
10. Hershey, P., Runyon, D. (2007), "SOA Monitoring for Enterprise Computing Systems", 11th IEEE International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 443-450. Annapolis, Maryland.
11. IBM (2012), "IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Transactions - Guide to agentless transaction tracking", Datasheet, available at: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/composite-application-mgr-transactions/(August 2012).
12. Kowall, J., Cappelli, W. (2012), "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring", available at http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?ref=clientFriendlyUrl&id=2125315
13. Lamport L. (1978), "Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System", Communications of the ACM 21, Vol. 21, No., pp. 558-565.
14. Lowy L. (2010), "Programming WCF Services: Building SOAs with Windows Communication Foundation, 3rd Edition", O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA.
15. Macias, E. M., Sanchez, D., Suarez, A. Sunderam, V. (2009), "Optimization of Execution Time Inspired Cross Layer Design Using Effective Load Balancing in a LAN-WLAN Environment", International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, Vol.4, No. 3, pp. 182-194.
16. ManageEngine (2009), "Security Manager Plus - User Guide", Whitepaper, availabale at: http://www.manageengine.com/products/security-manager/security-managementhelp.pdf.
17. Milanović Glavan, Lj. (2011), "Understanding Process Performance Measurement Systems", Business Systems Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 25-38.
19. Pejić Bach M., Šarlija N., Jaković B. (2009), "Business Intelligence and Risk Management: Case Study of Croatian Banking Sector", International Journal of Data Analysis and Information Systems, Vol. 1, pp. 1-9.
20. Price B., Mueller, J. P., Fenstermacher, S. (2007), "Mastering System Center Operations Manager 2007", Wiley Publishing, Indianapolis. Indiana.
21. Quest Software (2011), "Simplified Network Management For Virtualization Administrators", available at: http://www.quest.com/ (February 2012).
22. Trlin, G., Zoraja, I. (2012), "Online SOA Chain Performance Monitoring In Mixed Environments", The 20th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks, Split, 11-13 Sept. 2012. pp.1-5.
23. Wismüller R., Bubak, M., Funika, W. (2008), "High-Level Application Specific Performance Analysis using the G-PM Tool", Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.121-132.
24. Zoraja I., (2000), "Online Monitoring in Software DSM Systems", Shaker Verlag. Aeachen.
25. Zoraja I., Zulim I., Štula, M. (2008), "CORAL - Online Monitoring in Distributed Applications: Issues and Solutions", WSEAS Transactions on Computers, Vol. 7, pp. 113-118.