Background: In most countries, data on migration refer only to flows between administratively or statistically defined zones that are changing over time. When different numbers, sizes, and shapes of areas are chosen for analysis of internal migration, different results are generated. This problem is recognised as the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem (MAUP).
Objectives: The paper analyses the impact of inter-municipal migration on population redistribution in Slovenia in 2000–2014 by considering the MAUP. Namely, the number of analysed municipalities increased by 19 in the considered period.
Methods/Approach: We analysed the MAUP effects and estimated internal migration statistics by producing a large number of aggregations using the IMAGE Studio software.
Results: Several statistics that measure the direction and pace of population concentration, as well as the correlation between measures of migration intensity and national development, have been calculated.
Conclusions: The results for Slovenia show that the migration efficiency decreases with the development process measured by the human development index.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bell M. Blake M. Boyle P. Duke-Williams O. Rees P. Stillwell J. Hugo G. (2002) “Cross-national comparison of internal migration: Issues and measures” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society) Vol. 165 No. 3 pp. 435-464.
2. Bell M. Charles-Edwards E. Kupiszewska D. Kupiszewski M. Stillwell J. Zhu Y. (2015) “Internal migration and development: Comparing migration intensities around the world” Population and Development Review Vol. 41 No. 1 pp. 33-58.
3. Bernard A. Bell M. Charles-Edwards E. (2014) “Improved measures for the cross-national comparison of age profiles of internal migration” Population Studies Vol. 68 No. 2 pp. 179-195.
4. Bernard A. Rowe F. Bell M. Ueffing P. Charles-Edwards E. (2017) “Comparing internal Migration across the Countries of Latin America: A Multidimensional Approach” PLOS ONE Vol. 12 No.
3. 5. Bevc M. Zupančič J. Lukšič-Hacin M. (2004) “Migracijska politika in problem bega možganov” (Migration politics and brain drain problem) available at: http://www.slovenijajutri.gov.si/fileadmin/urednik/dokumenti/MBevc.pdf (25 March 2017).
6. Daras K. (2014) “Image Studio 1.4.2 User Manual” available at: https://www.archive.gpem.uq.edu.au/docs/qcpr/IMAGE_studio_user_manual.pdf (15 December 2017).
7. Drobne S. Rajar T. Lisec A. (2013) “Dynamics of migration and commuting to the urban centres of Slovenia 2000-2011” (Dinamika selitev in delovne mobilnosti v urbana središča Slovenije 2000-2011) Geodetski vestnik Vol. 57 No. 2 pp. 313–353 available at: http://www.geodetski-vestnik.com/images/57/2/gv57-2_drobne_eng.pdf (15 December 2017).
8. HDI (2018) “Human Development Index - Wikipedia” available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index (12 October 2018).
9. Openshaw S. (1984) The Modifiable Areal Unit Problem Geo Books Norwich available at: http://qmrg.org.uk/catmog/ (15 August 2015).
10. Ravbar M. (2005) “Urban sprawl: Popačena slika (sub)urbanizacije v Sloveniji?” (Urban sprawl: Skewed picture of (sub)urbanization in Slovenia?) Geografski vestnik Vol. 77 No. 1 pp. 27-36.
11. Rees P. Bell M. Kupiszewski M. Kupiszewska D. Ueffing P. Bernard A. Charles-Edwards E. Stillwell J. (2016) “The impact of internal migration on population redistribution: an international comparison” Population Space and Place Vol. 23 No. 6.
12. SMA (2017) “Spatial data on municipalities in Slovenia in 2000-2016” The Surveying and Mapping Authority of the Republic of Slovenia SMA.
13. SORS (2017a) “Methodological Explanations. Migrations” Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia SORS available at: http://www.stat.si/statweb/File/DocSysFile/9519 (15 August 2017).
14. SORS (2017b) “Migration change of population municipalities Slovenia annually. SI-STAT Database” The Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia SORS available at: http://pxweb.stat.si/pxweb/Dialog/varval.asp?ma=05I2002E&ti=&path=../Database/Demographics/05_population/25_Migration_Change/10_05I20_Migration_Change/&lang=1 (15 August 2017).
15. SORS (2017c) “Population by large and 5-year age groups and sex municipalities Slovenia half-yearly. SI-STAT Database” The Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia SORS available at: http://pxweb.stat.si/pxweb/Dialog/varval.asp?ma=05C4004E&ti=&path=../Database/Demographics/05_population/10_Number_Population/20_05C40_Population_obcine/&lang=1 (15 August 2017).
16. Stillwell J. Daras K. Bell M. Lomax N. (2014) “The IMAGE Studio: A tool for internal migration analysis and modelling” Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy Vol. 7 No. 1 pp. 5-23.
17. Stillwell J. Bell M. Ueffing P. Daras K. Charles-Edwards E. Kupiszewski M. Kupiszewska D. (2016) “Internal migration around the world: comparing distance travelled and its frictional effect” Environment and Planning A Vol. 48 No. 8 pp. 1657-1675.
18. UMAR (2009) “Socialni razgledi 2008 (Social views 2018)” Urad Republike Slovenije za makroekonomske analize in razvoj / Institute of Macroeconomic Analysis and Development UMAR available at: http://www.umar.gov.si/fileadmin/user_upload/publikacije/socrazgledi/2009/socialni_razgledi_2009.pdf (15 December 2017).
19. UN (2017) “United Nations Development Programme UNDP” United Nations Programme – Human Development Reports available at: http://hdr.undp.org/en/countries/profiles/SVN (15 August 2017).