Background: It is believed that social responsibility, the value that is strongly involved in the contemporary corporate behaviour, has also become the core value for public relations practitioners and their associations. However, there are ethical doubts concerning the question to whom a PR practitioner is actually responsible (or loyal) in the first place: to the client, the employer, the public, or society in general?
Objectives: This research aims to describe how social responsibility is articulated in the documents that can be considered as the crown of public relations ethics – the codes of ethics – and additionally, how the value of loyalty corresponds to the value of social responsibility.
Methods/Approach: The research is based on the content analyses of 13 codes of ethics that are delivered by 18 public relations associations at the international and the national level in the USA and the European Union.
Results: Although the phrase “social responsibility” is not mentioned in codes directly, the value of social responsibility is present in very diverse ways. When the value of loyalty came into the correlation with social responsibility, the research has shown that these values exist as a separate principle.
Conclusions: The public relations are a profession that tends to be socially responsible and tends to show that loyalty to clients and organizations is subordinated to public and social responsibility. Thus, the codes show that contemporary public relations, at least at the normative level, approach the two-way symmetric model and mostly promote “idealistic social role” of public relations.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Barić A. (2017) “Corporate social responsibility and stakeholders: Review of the last decade (2006-2015)” Business Systems Research Vol. 8 No.1 pp. 133-146.
2. Benn S. Todd L. R. Pendleton J. (2010) “Public relations leadership in corporate social responsibility” Journal of business ethics Vol. 96 No. 3 pp. 403-423.
3. Bowen S. A. (2008) “A state of neglect: Public relations as ‘Corporate Conscience’ or ethics counsel” Journal of Public Relations Research Vol. 20 No. 3 pp. 271-296.
4. Bowen S. A. Hung-Baesecke C.-J. F. Chen Y.-R. R. (2016) “Ethics as a precursor to organization–public relationships: Building trust before and during the OPR model” Cogent Social Sciences Vol. 2 No. 1.
5. Boynton L. (2002) “Professionalism and social responsibility: Foundations of public relations ethics” Annals of the international communication association Vol. 26 No. 1 pp. 223-256
6. Chen F. Y. Chang Y. H. Lin Y. H. (2012) “Customer perceptions of airline social responsibility and its effect on loyalty” Journal of Air Transport Management Vol. 20 pp. 49-51.
7. Clark C. E. (2000) “Differences between public relations and corporate social responsibility: An analysis” Public Relations Review Vol. 26 No. 3 pp. 363-380.
8. Daymon C. Holloway I. (2010) Qualitative research methods in public relations and marketing communications Routledge London.
9. Du S. Bhattacharya C. B. Sen S. (2010) “Maximizing business returns to corporate social responsibility (CSR): The role of CSR communication” International journal of management reviews Vol. 12 No. 1 pp. 8-19.
10. Farmer Y. (2018) “Ethical Decision Making and Reputation Management in Public Relations” Journal of Media Ethics Vol. 33 No. 1 pp. 2-13.
11. Fitzpatrick K. Gauthier C. (2001) “Toward a professional responsibility theory of public relations ethics” Journal of Mass Media Ethics Vol. 16 No. 2-3 pp. 193-212.
12. Grunig J. E. (2006) “Furnishing the edifice: Ongoing research on public relations as a strategic management function” Journal of Public relations research Vol. 18 No. 2 pp. 151-176.
13. Grunig J. E. (2014) “Ethics problems and theories in public relations” Communiquer Vol. 11 pp. 1-14.
14. Grunig J. E. White J. (1992). “The effect of worldview on public relations theory and practice” in Grunig J. E. (Ed.) Excellence in Public Relations and Communication Management Hillsdale NJ Lawrence Erlbaum Associates pp. 51-54.
15. Jackson D. Moloney K. (2019) “‘Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown’. A qualitative study of ethical PR practice in the United Kingdom” Public Relations Inquiry Vol. 8 No.1 pp. 87-101.
16. Jones K. Bartlett J. L. (2009) “The strategic value of corporate social responsibility: a relationship management framework for public relations practice” PRism Vol. 6 No. 1.
17. Kim S. Y. Park H. (2011) “Corporate social responsibility as an organizational attractiveness for prospective public relations practitioners” Journal of business ethics Vol. 103 No. 4 pp. 639-653.
18. Kim S. Y. Reber B. H. (2008) “Public relations’ place in corporate social responsibility: Practitioners define their role” Public Relations Review Vol. 34 No. 4 pp. 337-342.
19. Kim S.-Y. Ki E.-J. (2014) “An Exploratory Study of Ethics Codes of Professional Public Relations Associations: Proposing Modified Universal Codes of Ethics in Public Relations” Journal of Mass Media Ethics Vol. 29 No. 4 pp. 238-257.
20. Kim S.-Y. Reber B. H. (2009) “How public relations professionalism influences corporate social responsibility: A survey of practitioners” Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly Vol. 86 No. 1 pp. 157–174.
21. Kolić Stanić M. (2018a) “Criteri fondamentali delle relazioni pubbliche nei codici di etica. Un confronto con i criteri etici del giornalismo secondo Luka Brajnovic” (“Fundamental criteria of public relations in codes of ethics. A comparison with the ethical criteria of journalism according to Luka Brajnović”) Dissertation Rome Pontifical University of the Holy Cross pp. 186-194.
22. Kolić Stanić M. (2018b) “Education as the Essential Part of Public Relations Ethics Codes” in the Proceedings of the 4th ENTerprise REsearch InNOVAtion Conference Udruga za promicanje inovacija i istraživanja u ekonomiji “IRENET” Zagreb Croatia pp. 98-104.
23. Kolić Stanić M. (2018c) “Ethics as the Strategy for Public Relations Associations” in the Proceedings of the 4th ENTerprise REsearch InNOVAtion Conference Udruga za promicanje inovacija i istraživanja u ekonomiji “IRENET” Zagreb Croatia pp. 120-126.
24. Kolić Stanić M. (2019) “Transparency in Public Relations: Evidence from Associations’ Ethics Codes” Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems Vol. 17 No. 2-B pp. 417-429.
25. Krippendorff K. (1980) Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology Sage Publications Newbury Park.
26. L’Etang J. (2003) “The myth of the ‘ethical guardian’: An examination of its origins potency and illusions” Journal of Communication Management Vol. 8 No. 1 pp. 53-67.
27. May S. (2008) “Reconsidering strategic corporate social responsibility: Public relations and ethical engagement of employees in a global economy” in Zerfass A. van Ruler B. Sriramesh K. (Eds) Public Relations Research VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften Wiesbaden pp. 365-383.
28. Pejić Bach M. Omazić M. A. Zoroja J. (2015) “Transparency as a Precondition of Systemic Behavior: the Case of European Retailing Banks Regarding Social Responsibility Communication” Systems Research and Behavioral Science Vol. 32 No. 2 pp. 256-264.
29. Pompper D. (2015) Corporate social responsibility sustainability and public relations: Negotiating multiple complex challenges Routledge London-New York
30. Preciado-Hoyos A. (2013) “The role of public relations in corporate social responsibility programs in the Colombian electricity sector” Public Relations Review Vol. 39 No. 5 pp. 591-593.
31. Stoker K. (2005) “Loyalty in Public Relations: When Does It Cross the Line Between Virtue and Vice?” Journal of Mass Media Ethics Vol. 20 No. 4 pp. 269-287.
32. Taylor M. Yang A. (2015) “Have Global Ethical Values Emerged in the Public Relations Industry? Evidence from National and International Professional Public Relations Associations” Journal of Business Ethics Vol. 130 No. 3 pp. 543–555.
33. Vlachos P. A. Tsamakos A. Vrechopoulos A. P. Avramidis P. K. (2009). “Corporate social responsibility: attributions loyalty and the mediating role of trust” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science Vol. 37 No. 2 pp. 170-180.
34. Wright D. K. (1979) “Professionalism and social responsibility in public relations” Public Relations Review Vol 5 No. 3 pp. 20-33.
35. Yang A. Taylor M. (2013) “The relationship between the professionalization of public relations societal social capital and democracy: Evidence from a cross-national study” Public Relations Review Vol. 39 No. 4 pp. 257-270.
36. Yang A. Taylor M. J. Saffer A. J. (2016) “Ethical convergence divergence or communitas? An examination of public relations and journalism codes of ethics” Public Relations Review Vol. 42 No. 1 pp.146-160.