The aim of this study was to determine the association of the c.894G>T; p.Glu298Asp polymorphism and the variable number tandem repeat (VNTR) polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene and c.181C>T polymorphism of the bradykinin type 2 receptor gene (B2R) in Malaysian end-stage renal disease (ESRD) subjects.
A total of 150 ESRD patients were recruited from the National Kidney Foundation’s (NKF)dialysis centers in Malaysia and compared with 150 normal healthy individuals. Genomic DNA was extracted from buccal cells of all the subjects. The polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) method was carried out to amplify the products and the restricted fragments were separated by agarose gel electrophoresis. Statistical analyses were carried out using software where a level of p <0.05 was considered to be statistically significant.
The genotypic and allelic frequencies of the B2R gene (c.181C>T, 4b/a) and eNOS gene (c.894G>T) polymorphisms were not statistically significant (p >0.05) when compared to the control subjects. The B2R and eNOS gene polymorphisms may not be considered as genetic susceptibility markers for Malaysian ESRD subjects.
2. Zolezzi M. Management of dyslipidemia in renal disease and transplantation. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2006; 17(2): 129-136.
3. Eikmans M Aben JA Koop K Baelde HJ de Heer E Bruijn JA. Genetic factors in progressive renal disease: the good ones the bad ones and the ugly ducklings. Nephrol Dial Transpl. 2006; 21(2): 257-260.
4. Satko SG Freedman BI Moossavi S. Genetic factors in end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int Suppl. 2005 (94): S46-S49.
5. Braun A Kammerer S Bohme E Muller B Roscher AA. Identification of polymorphic sites of the human bradykinin B2 receptor gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995; 211(1): 234-240.
6. Nagase S Suzuki H Wang Y Kikuchi S Hirayama A Ueda A et al. Association of eNOS gene polymorphisms with end stage renal diseases. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003; 244(1-2): 113-118.
7. Yun Z Yu-Ping Y Zong-Wu T Yang S Fang Y Fang S. Association of endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms with end-stage renal disease: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Ren Fail. 2014; 36(6): 987-993.
8. Zychma MJ Gumprecht J Trautsolt W Szydlowska I Grzeszczak W. Polymorphic genes for kinin receptors nephropathy and blood pressure in type 2 diabetic patients. Am J Nephrol. 2003; 23(2): 112-116.
9. Zhou TB Yin SS. Association of endothelial nitric oxide synthase Glu298Asp gene polymorphism with the risk of end-stage renal disease. Ren Fail. 2013; 35(4): 573-578.
10. Maltais I Bachvarova M Maheux P Perron P Marceau F Bachvarov D. Bradykinin B2 receptor gene polymorphism is associated with altered urinary albumin/ creatinine values in diabetic patients. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002; 80(4): 323-327.
11. Buraczynska M Ksiazek P Zaluska W Nowicka T Ksiazek A. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene intron 4 polymorphism in patients with end-stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transpl. 2004; 19(9): 2302-2306.
12. Bachvarov DR Landry M Pelletier I Chevrette M Betard C Houde I et al. Characterization of two polymorphic sites in the human kinin B1 receptor gene: altered frequency of an allele in patients with a history of end-stage renal failure. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998; 9(4): 598-604.
13. Tang FY Liu FY Xie XW. Association of angiotensin- converting enzyme and endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms with vascular disease in ESRD patients in a Chinese population. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008;319(1-2):33-9.
14. Li J Cun Y Tang WR Wang Y Li SN Ouyang HR et al. Association of eNOS gene polymorphisms with essential hypertension in the Han population in southwestern China. Genet Molec Res. 2011; 10(3): 2202-2212.