Background/Aim: Congenital defects such as cleft palate and lips require a long-lasting and multidisciplinary approach. In cases when surgical and orthodontic treatment is not feasible, prosthodontic management of these patients is advocated. Prosthetic rehabilitation of cleft palate in concerning of achieving aesthetic and function (such as swallowing and speech) outcomes is very demanding.
Case report: Material and method: After performing the necessary surgical procedures and orthodontic treatment, 24-years-old male patient was sent to the Department for Maxillofacial Prosthetics of Istanbul University. Followed the clinical examination, the necessary periodontal and conservative therapy was performed. After radiographic evaluation and dental cast analysis prosthetic rehabilitation was performed. The prosthetic rehabilitation of cleft palate was accomplish with conventional fixed partial denture whose number of included abutment were defined by biomechanical principles. Additionally removable partial denture were manufactured for closing oro-nasal defects and lip supporting.
Conclusions: The prosthetic rehabilitation resulted with functionally and aesthetically content prosthesis. With achieving proper swallowing Quality of Life of the patient was enormously enhanced.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Burg ML, Chai Y, Yao CA, Magee W, Figueiredo JC. Epidemiology, etiology, and treatment of isolated cleft palate. Front Physiol, 2016;7:1-16.
2. Mastroiacovo Pierpaolo, Leoncini Emanuele. Prevalence at birth of cleft lip with or without cleft palate: data from the International Perinatal Database of Typical Oral Clefts (IPDTOC). Cleft Palate Craniofac J, 2011;48:66-81.
3. Allori AC, Mulliken JB, Meara JG, Shusterman S, Marcus JR. Classification of cleft lip/palate: Then and now. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial J, 2017;54:175-188.
4. Jones JE, Sadove AM, Dean JA, Huebener DV. Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Cleft Lip and Palate Management. McDonald and Avery Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent 2011;614-637. Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Cleft Lip and Palate Management. 2011;614-637.
5. Dhami NK, Reddy MS, Mukherjee A. Insights into Various Aspects of Oral Health/Cleft Lip and Palate Management from Birth to Adulthood: An Overview. London:InTechOpen; 2017. p.137-164
6. Balkaya MC, Sultan H, Erdem S, Mutlu D. Prosthetic rehabilitation of a patient with a unilateral cleft palate: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent, 2014;111:269-272.
7. Dhakshaini MR, Pushpavathi M, Garhnayak M, Dhal A. Prosthodontic Management in Conjunction with Speech Therapy in Cleft Lip and Palate: A Review and Case Report. J Int Oral Heal, 2015;7:106-111.
9. Sayin Ozel G,Inan O, Dolanmaz D, Karaman AI. Multidisciplinary Treatment in Non-Syndromic Cleft Lip and Palate Patients: 2 Case Reports. Cumhur Dent J, 2018;21:49-54.
10. Santos CF, Garlet GP. The experience and excellence of the hospital for rehabilitation of craniofacial anomalies, university of São Paulo (HRAC/USP), in the rehabilitative treatment of cleft lip and palate. J Appl Oral Sci, 2013;21:496.
11. Mazaheri M, Athanasiou AE, Long RE Jr KO. Evaluation of maxillary dental arch form in unilateral clefts of lip, alveolus, and palate from one month to four years. Cleft Palate Craniofac J, 1993;30:90-93.
12. PRK, Raghavan R, Jishnu S, Monisha VS, Raj JS, Sathish S. Prosthetic Consideration in Management of Cleft Lip and Palate Patients. Sci J Clin Med, 2016;5:27-30.
13. Terán FT, Lázaro CM, Castillo RJ, Gamboa EA, Querol EU. Construction of a modified overdenture for patient with cleft lip and palate surgery sequels : case report. Rev Odont Mex, 2013;17:179-182.
14. Reisberg DJ. Dental and prosthodontic care for patients with cleft or craniofacial conditions. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J, 2000;37:534-537.
15. Hickey AJ, Salter M. Prosthodontic and psychological factors in treating patients with congenital and craniofacial defects. J Prosthet Dent, 2006;95:392-396.
16. Driscoll CF, Freilich MA, Guckes AD, Knoernschild KL, Mcgarry TJ. The Glossary of Prosthodontic Terms. J Prosthet Dent, 2017;117:e1-e105.
17. Langer Y, Langer A. Tooth-supported telescopic prostheses in compromised dentitions: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent, 2000;84:129-132.
18. Manes Ferrer JF, Martinez Gonzales A, Oteiza Galdon B, Bouazza Juanes K, Benet Iranzo F, Candel Tomás A. Telescopic crowns in adult case with lip and palate cleft. Update on the etiology and management. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir bucal, 2006;11:E358-62.