Background/Aim: Metastatic tumours make up only 1-3% of all malignant tumours of the oral region; however, in 25% of the total number of cases, they are the first sign of the disease. Usually, metastases in the oral region are followed by poor prognosis. Metastases are more common in the mandible than in the maxilla; in soft tissues, they most commonly occur in the attached gingiva and tongue. Malignant tumours of the lung, breast, kidney, liver, bone, prostate, thyroid gland, skin, colon and female genital organs most commonly give metastases in this region, usually in patients aged 40 to 70 years.
Case Report: We present a patient aged 79 years with a tumour change in the body of the tongue. After histopathological and immunohistochemical analysis (Cytokeratin, Vimentin, CD 10 positive tumour cells, Cytokeratin 7, Cytokeratin 20 negative tumour cells), there was a suspicion of metastasis of clear cell renal carcinoma (CCRC). Due to renal cancer, the patient had left kidney operated seven years before the diagnosis of tongue tumour.
Conclusions: Diagnosis of metastatic tumours of the oral region is a great challenge, both for clinicians and for histopathologists. Since it is a heterogeneous group of neoplasms, standard histopathological tissue processing, is not always sufficient to determine the histological type of tumour and its primary origin. In the analysis of metastatic tumours of the oral region, team work is important and careful clinical and histopathological assessment lead to definitive and accurate diagnosis.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Kumar G, Manjunatha B. Metastatic tumors to the jaws and oral cavity. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol, 2013;17:71-75.
2. Irani S. Metastasis to the oral soft tissues: A review of 412 cases. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent, 2016;6:393-401.
3. Hirsberg A, Berger R. Metastatic tumors to the jaws and mouth. Head Neck Pathol, 2014;8:463-474.
4. Ito H, Onizawa K, Satoh H. Non small cell lung cancer metastasis to the oral cavity: a case report. Mol Clin Oncol, 2017;5:422-424.
5. Nicol KK, Iskandar SS. Lobular carcinoma of the breast metastatic to the oral cavity mimicking polymorphous low grade adenocarcinoma of the minor salivary glands. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2000;124:157-159.
6. Rao RS, Patil S, Sanketh D, Amrutha N. Metastatic tumors of the oral cavity. J Contemp Dent Pract, 2014;15:263-271.
7. Mahammad D, Chingis R, Elchin A, Farinaz I, Vugar Q. Chondroblastoma of the TMJ: Case report. Balk J Dent Med, 2017;21:176-178.
8. Selves J, Long Mira E, Mathieu MC, Rochaix P, Ilie M. Immunohistochemistry for diagnosis of metastatic carcinomas of unknown primary site. Cancers, 2018;10:108-131.
9. Chernock RD, Lewis JS. Approach to metastatic carcinoma of unknown primary in head and neck: squamous cell carcinoma and beyond. Head and Neck Pathol, 2015;6-15.
10. Will T A, Agarwal N, Petruzzelli G J. Oral cavity metastasis of renal cell carcinoma: A case report. J Med Case Rep, 2008;2:313.
11. Yoshitomi I, Kawasaki G, Mizuno A, Nishikido M, Hayaashi T, Fujita S, et al. Lingual metastasis as an initial presentation of renal cell carcinoma. Med Oncol, 2011;28:1389-1394.
12. Marioni G, Gaio E, Poletti A, Derosas F, Staffieri A. Uncommon metastatic site of renal adenocarcinoma: the oral tongue. Acta Otolaryngol, 2004;124:197-201.
13. Fizazi K, Greco FA, Pavlidis N, Daugaard G, Oien K, Pentheroudakis G. Cancers of unknown primary site: ESMO Clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 2015;25:133-138.
14. Karakostas P, Matiakis A, Anagnostou E, Kolokotronis A. Oral granular cell tumor: Report of Heera R, case series and a brief review of the literature. Balk J Dent Med, 2017;21:116-118.
15. Casani AP, Marchetti M, Seccia V, Fontanini G, Filice ME, Muscatello L. Clear cell adenocarcinoma of the base of the tongue: a case report and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J, 2011;90:E9-16.
16. Abbaszadeh-Bidokhty H, Motallebnejad M, Rajabi-Moghaddam M. Metastatic Renal cell Carcinoma Presenting as a clear-cell Tumor in Tongue: A Case Report. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol, 2014;26:185-90.
17. Park JH, Choi JY, Hong R, Yong Do N. Clear cell myopeithelial carcinoma in the base of the tongue: case report and review of the literature. Oncol Lett, 2012;4:1241-1243.
18. Azam F, Abubakerr M, Gollins S. Tongue metastasis as an initial presentation of renal cell carcinoma: a case report and literature review. J Med Case Reports, 2008;2:249.