Background/Aim: Xeroderma pigmentosum (XP) is an autosomal recessive skin disease. Affected patients have skin problems, oral mucosa and neurologic symptoms. In these patients, erythematous, hyperpigmented or malignant skin lesions may occur in the sun-exposed areas. Leukoplakia, erythroplakia, and squamous cell carcinoma of the tip of the tongue and lips are common oral lesions associated with XP.
Case report: Treatment of the disease included protection from ultraviolet radiation, topical application to treat actinic keratitis, and multidisciplinary approaches by physicians.
Conclusions: Even though USG in dentistry is not very common, it is a non-invasive, cost-effective, readily available and repeatable diagnostic imaging method. Thus, USG should take place as a routine diagnostic tool in dentistry, especially for patients who are medically compromised.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Lopes-Cardoso C da Silva Ramos LMP Fernandes JFR Teixeira-Soares C Antônio-Barreto J Humberto-Damante J. Xeroderma Pigmentosum–A case report with oral implications. J Clin Exp Dent 2012;4:e248.
2. Hebra F Kaposi M. On disease of the skin including exanthemata. New Sydenham Soc 1874;61:252-258.
3. Kaposi M. Xeroderma pigmentosa. Ann Dermatol Venereol 1883;4:29-38.
4. Butt FM Moshi JR Owibingire S Chindia ML. Xeroderma pigmentosum: a review and case series. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2010;38:534-537.
5. Hasan S Khan MA. Xeroderma pigmentosum with desquamative gingivitis a rare case report and detailed review of literature. J Cosmet Dermatol Sci Appl 2011;1:164-170.
6. Kraemer KH Lee MM Scotto J. Xeroderma pigmentosum. Cutaneous ocular and neurologic abnormalities in 830 published cases. Arch dermatol 1987;123:241-250.
7. Öktem ZB Songür E Öz FT. Dental treatment of a xeroderma pigmentosum patient. Eur J Gen Med 2012;9:149-151.
8. Shahidi S Shakibafard A Zamiri B Mokhtare MR Houshyar M Mahdian S. The Feasibility of Ultrasonography in Defining the Size of Jaw Osseous Lesions. J Dent 2015;16:335-340.
9. Nawaz MKK. Role of Ultrasound as a Diagnostic Tool in Superficial Facial Space Infections. Int J Scientific Stud. 2015;3:41-47.
10. Feller L Wood NH Motswaledi MH Khammissa RA Meyer M Lemmer J. Xeroderma pigmentosum: a case report and review of the literature. J Prev Med Hyg 2010;51:87-91.
11. Akdeniz N Bilgili SG Çalka Ö Karadağ AS. Xeroderma pigmentosum in eastern Turkey: a review of 15 cases. Turk J Med Sci 2012;42:719-723.
12. Mukhi PU Mahindra UR. The use of ultrasonography in diagnosis and management of superficial fascial space infections. Indian J Dent Res 2012; 23:313-319.
13. Aarthi Nisha V Parthiban J Santana N Giridhar AG Yashoda Devi BK Sujatha Reddy S et al. The role of colour Doppler ultrasonography in the diagnosis of fascial space infections-a cross sectional study. J Clin Diagn Res 2013;7:962-967.
14. Acar AH Yolcu Ü Asutay F. Is ultrasonography useful in the diagnosis of nasolabial cyst? Case Rep Dent 2014;2014 Article ID 678541
15. Al Wayli H. Xeroderma pigmentosum and its dental implications. Eur J Dent 2015;9:145-148.