Background/Aim: Current approaches in therapy of head and neck cancers are surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. However, recurrence, development of multidrug resistance, side effects, and high costs of therapy are significant problems which point to the need for more efficient and less toxic drugs and interventions.
Material and Methods: Eight essential oils obtained from Thymus serpyllum, Mentha piperita, Juniperus communis, Rosmarinus officinalis, Melissa officinalis, Achillea millefolium, Zingiber officinale, and Helichrysum arenarium were tested for their anti-proliferative on oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) culture and SCC-25 cell line. Cytotoxicity assays (MTT and Neutral red) were used to detect the effect of the mentioned essential oils.
Results: T. serpyllum, M. piperita, J. communis, and R. officinalis essential oils exhibited the best anti-proliferative effect, on both types of cells. M. piperita had the greatest effect on SCC-25 cell line (4,5% of viable cells) and OSCC cells (7,2% of viable cells). Overall, cytotoxicity was higher in OSCC than in SCC-25 cell line.
Conclusions: This study showed a clear anti-proliferative effect of four essential oils, in vitro making them novel potential antineoplastic agents.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Argiris A Karamouzis MV Raben D Ferris RL. Head and neck cancer. Lancet 2008;371:1695-709.
2. Moore SR Johnson NW Pierce AM Wilson DF. The epidemiology of mouth cancer: a review of global incidence. Oral Dis 2000;6:65-74.
3. Forastiere A Koch W Trotti A Sidransky D. Medical progress - Head and neck cancer. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1890-1900.
4. Russo R Corasaniti MT Bagetta G Morrone LA. Exploitation of cytotoxicity of some essential oils for translation in cancer therapy. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015;2015:397821.
5. Mannan A Inayatullah S Akhtar MZ Qayyum M Mirza B. Biological evaluation of wild thyme (Thymus serpyllum). Pharm Biol 2009;47:628-633.
6. Kalemba D Kunicka A. Antibacterial and antifungal properties of essential oils. Curr Med Chem 2003;10:813-829.
7. Raal A Paaver U Arak E Orav A. Content and composition of the essential oil of Thymus serpyllum L. growing wild in Estonia. Medicina (Kaunas) 2004;40:795-800.
8. Jain D Pathak N Khan S Raghuram GV Bhargava A Samarth R et al. Evaluation of Cytotoxicity and Anticarcinogenic Potential of Mentha Leaf Extracts. Int J Toxicol 2011;30:225-236.
9. Tunón H Olavsdotter C Bohlin L. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of some Swedish medicinal plants. Inhibition of prostaglandin biosynthesis and PAF-induced exocytosis. J Ethnopharmacol 1995;48:61-76.
10. Candan F Unlu M Tepe B Daferera D Polissiou M Sökmen A et al. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil and methanol extracts of Achillea millefolium subsp. millefolium Afan. (Asteraceae). J Ethnopharmacol 2003;87:215-220.
11. Lin LT Liu LT Chiang LC Lin CC. In vitro anti-hepatoma activity of fifteen natural medicines from Canada. Phyther Res 2002;16:440-444.
12. Cavalcanti AM Baggio CH Freitas CS Rieck L de Sousa RS Da Silva-Santos JE et al. Safety and antiulcer efficacy studies of Achillea millefolium L. after chronic treatment in Wistar rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;107:277-284.
13. González-Vallinas M Reglero G Ramírez de Molina A. Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) Extract as a Potential Complementary Agent in Anticancer Therapy. Nutr Cancer 2015;67:1223-1231.
14. Sadraei H Asghari G Naddafi A. Relaxant effect of essential oil and hydro-alcoholic extract of Pycnocycla spinosa Decne. ex Boiss. on ileum contractions. Phyther Res 2003;17:645-649.
15. De Sousa AC Alviano DS Blank AF Alves PB Alviano CS Gattass CR. Melissa officinalis L. essential oil: antitumoral and antioxidant activities. J Pharm Pharmacol 2004;56:677-681.
16. Elmastaş M Gülçin İ Beydemir Ş İrfan Küfrevioğlu Ö Aboul-Enein HY. A Study on the In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Juniper (Juniperus communis L.) Fruit Extracts. Anal Lett 2006;39:47-65.
17. Glisic S Milojevic S Dimitrijevic-Brankovic S Orlovic A Skala D. Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil and different fractions of Juniperus communis L. and a comparison with some commercial antibiotics. J Serb Chem Soc 2007;72:311-320.
18. Fernandez A Cock IE. The therapeutic properties of juniperus communis L. Antioxidant capacity bacterial growth inhibition anticancer activity and toxicity. Pharmacogn J 2016;8:273-280.
19. Petrović SS Matović M Maksimović S. Prilog tehnologiji izdvajanja etarskog ulja iz lekovitih i aromatičnih biljaka principom vode i vodene pare. Lek Sirovine 1996;15:41-48.
20. Petrovic SS Ivanovic J Milovanovic S Zizovic I. Comparative analysesof the diffusion coefficients from thyme for different extraction processes. J Serb Chem Soc 2012;77:799-813.
21. Skala D Žizović I Petrović SS. Etarska ulja - destilacija ekstrakcija izbor tehnologije i kvalitet. Hem Ind 1999;53:123-138.
22. Milosevic M Lazarevic M Toljic B Simonovic J Trisic D Nikolic N et al. Characterization of stem-like cancer cells in basal cell carcinoma and its surgical margins. Exp Dermatol 2018;27:1160-1165.
23. Lazarevic M Milosevic M Trisic D Toljic B Simonovic J Nikolic N et al. Putative cancer stem cells are present in surgical margins of oral squamous cell carcinoma. JBUON 2018;23:1686-1692.
24. Mancic L Djukic-Vukovic A Dinic I Nikolic MG Rabasovic MD Krmpot AJ et al. NIR photo-driven upconversion in NaYF4:YbEr/PLGA particles for in vitro bioimaging of cancer cells. Mater Sci Eng C 2018;91:597-605.
25. Repetto G del Peso A Zurita JL. Neutral red uptake assay for the estimation of cell viability/cytotoxicity. Nat Protoc 2008;3:1125-1131.
26. De Oliveira PF Alves JM Damasceno JL Oliveira RAM Júnior Dias H Crotti AEM et al. Cytotoxicity screening of essential oils in cancer cell lines. Braz J Pharmacogn 2015;25:183-188.
27. Mukherjee K Basu S Sarkar N Ghosh C. Advances in cancer therapy with plant based natural products. Curr Med Chem 2001;8:1467-1486.
28. Efferth T Li PCH Konkimalla VSB Kaina B. From traditional Chinese medicine to rational cancer therapy. Trends Mol Med 2007;13:353-361.
29. Turrini E Ferruzzi L Fimognari C. Natural compounds to overcome cancer chemoresistance: toxicological and clinical issues. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2014;10; 1677-1690.
30. Sertel S Eichhorn T Plinkert PK Efferth T. Cytotoxicity of Thymus vulgaris essential oil towards human oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Anticancer Res 2011;31:81-87.
31. Slameová D Kubošková K Horváthová E Robichová S. Rosemary-stimulated reduction of DNA strand breaks and FPG-sensitive sites in mammalian cells treated with H2O2or visible light-excited Methylene Blue. Cancer Lett 2002;177:145-153.
32. Kontogianni VG Tomic G Nikolic I Nerantzaki AA Sayyad N Stosic-Grujicic S et al. Phytochemical profile of Rosmarinus officinalis and Salvia officinalis extracts and correlation to their antioxidant and anti-proliferative activity. Food Chem 2013;136:120-129.
33. Cheung S Tai J. Anti-proliferative and antioxidant properties of rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis. Oncol Rep 2007;17:1525-1531.
34. González-Vallinas M Molina S Vicente G Zarza V Martín-Hernández R García-Risco MR et al. Expression of MicroRNA-15b and the glycosyltransferase GCNT3 correlates with antitumor efficacy of rosemary diterpenes in colon and pancreatic cancer. PLoS One 2014;9: e98556.
35. Đilas S Knez Z Četojević-Simin D Tumbas V Škerget M Čanadanović-Brunet J et al. (2012) In vitro antioxidant and antiproliferative activity of three rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) extract formulations. Int J Food Sci Technol 2012;47:2052-2062.
36. Moore J Megaly M MacNeil AJ Klentrou P Tsiani E. Rosemary extract reduces Akt/mTOR/p70S6K activation and inhibits proliferation and survival of A549 human lung cancer cells. Biomed Pharmacother 2016;83:725-732.
37. Pereira JM Lopes-Rodrigues V Xavier CPR Lima MJ Lima RT Ferreira ICFR et al. An aqueous extract of Tuberaria lignosa inhibits cell growth alters the cell cycle profile and induces apoptosis of NCI-H460 tumor cells. Molecules 216;6:5.
38. Kotowski U Heiduschka G Schneider S Enzenhofer E Stanisz I Schmid R et al. P25 Effect of bioactive compounds of zingiber officinale roscoe on head and neck tumor cell lines. Oral Oncol 2015;51:e50.