Background/Aim: The loss of teeth and its consequences for health, as well as the psychological discomfort it entails, have a negative impact on both self-reported health state and quality of life (QoL). Dental implantation aims to increase patients’ health and satisfaction and to improve all aspects of QoL. The purpose of this cross-sectional correlational study was to compare the patients’ QoL before and after dental implantation.
Material and Methods: The study comprised 62 patients aged between 24 and 77, including 28 (45.16%) women and 34 (54.84%) men, who reported to a private dental clinic in Szczecin, Poland to replace missing teeth with implants. The survey was carried out twice: prior to the treatment, when the decision to use implants had been made, and three months after implantation, during the first check-up. QoL was measured using the 36-Item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36), and sociodemographic data were collected using a questionnaire of the author.
Results: There were statistically significant differences between the assessment of health and QoL before and after implantation treatment. Both the patients’ health and comfort of life improved after therapy.
Conclusions: Replacement of missing teeth with dental implants brought overall improvement in patients’ QoL, social comfort, and general health. Dental implantation should be recommended in the early phase of edentulism, after tooth loss.
11. AlZarea BK. Oral health related quality of life outcomes of partially edentulous patients treated with implant supported single crowns or fixed partial dentures. J Clin Exp Dent, 2017;9:e666-671.
12. Pjetursson BE, Thoma D, Jung R, Zwahlen M, Zembic A. A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of implant-supported fixed dental prostheses (FDPs) after a mean observation period of at least 5 years. Clin Oral Implants Res, 2012;23:22-38.
13. Llewellyn CD, Warnakulasuriya S. The impact of stomatological disease on oral health-related quality of life. Eur J Oral Sci, 2003;111:297-304.
14. Levi A, Psoter WJ, Agar JR, Reisine ST, Taylor TD. Patient self-reported satisfaction with maxillary anterior dental implant treatment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2003;18:113-120.
15. Callan DP, Strong S. Creating the environment for implant success: an interdisciplinary approach. Int J Dent Symp, 1995;3:48-51.
16. Goodacre CJ, Bernal G, Rungcharassaeng K, Kan JY. Clinical complications with implants and implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent, 2003;90:121-132.
17. Allen, PF, McMillan AS. A longitudinal study of quality of life outcomes in older adults requesting implant prostheses and complete removable dentures. Clin Oral Implants Res, 2003;14:173-179.
18. Yoshida T, Masaki Ch, Hideki K, Misumi S, Mukaibo T, Kondo Y, et al. Changes in oral health-related quality of life during implant treatment in partially edentulous patients: A prospective study. J Prosthodont Res, 2016;60:258-264.
19. Ware JE, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). Med Care, 1992;30:473-483.
20. Lungberg L, Johannesson M, Isacson GL, Borgquist L. Health-state utilities in a general population in relation to age, gender and socioeconomic factors. Eur J Public Health, 1999;9:211-217.
21. Zawisza K, Tobiasz-Adamczyk B, Zapała J, Marecik T. Validity and reliability of the SF-36 health questionnaire in patients with cancer of the head and neck. Polish Den Soc, 2009;62:751-763.
22. Heydecke G, Locker D, Awad MA, Lund JP, Feine JS. Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 2003;31:161-168.
23. Awad MA, Locker D, Korner-Bitensky N, Feine JS. Measuring the effect of intra-oral implant rehabilitation on health-related quality of life in a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Dent Res, 2000;79:1659-1663.
24. Yao J, Tang H, Gao X-L, McGrath C, Mattheos N. Patients’ expectations from dental implants: a systematic review of the literature. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 2014;12:153.
25. Isaksson R, Becktor JP, Brown A, Laurizohn C, Isaksson S. Oral health and oral implant status in edentulous patients with implant-supported dental prostheses who are receiving long-term nursing care. Gerodontology, 2009;26:245-249.
26. Pavel K, Seydlowa M, Dostalova T, Zdenek V, Chleborad K, Jana Z, et al. Dental implants and improvement of oral health-related quality of life. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 2012;40:65-70.