The most frequent chronic respiratory problems in childhood are asthma and cystic fibrosis (CF). The purpose of this paper is to review basic knowledge and recent advances in oral health and associated dental morbidities in children with asthma and CF. This review considered clinical trials and systematic reviews related to oral health in children with CRD. An online base Medline was searched to determine relevant papers, using the combination of the following terms: “asthma”, “cystic fibrosis”, “caries”, “dental erosion”, and “oral health”. Oral health problems in children with chronic respiratory diseases (CRD) may be influenced by natural course of the disease, pharmacotherapy (inhalation therapy with bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids in asthmatic patients, systemic antibiotics and pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy in CF patients), medication administration technique and nutritional habits. Children with CRD may have higher prevalence of oral diseases. Patients and their parents, but also general paediatricians and pulmonologists, should be aware of importance of good oral health. Dental practitioners should be more informed about risk factors and specificities of oral health in these patients. Preventive measures, early diagnosis and effective treatment strategies in children with CRD can reduce occurrence of oral diseases and improve patient’s quality of life.
2. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Effect of beta 2-adrenoceptor agonists on saliva proteins and dental caries in asthmatic children. J Dent Res, 1987;66:1404-1406.
3. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Saliva composition and caries development in asthmatic patients treated with ß2-adrenoceptor agonists: a 4-year follow-up study. Scand J Dent Res, 1991;99:212-218.
4. Mazzoleni S, Stellini E, Cavalleri E. Dental caries in children undergoing treatment with short-acting β2-agonists. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 2008;9:132-138.
5. Tootla R, Toumba KJ, Duggal MS. An evaluation of the acidogenic potential of asthma inhalers. Arch Oral Biol, 2004;49:275-283.
6. Ersin NK, Gülen F, Eronat N, Cogulu D, Demir E, Tanaç R et al. Oral and dental manifestations of young asthmatics related to medication, severity and duration of condition. Pediatr Int, 2006;48:549-554.
7. Stensson M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Birkhed D. Oral health in preschool children with asthma. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008;18:243-250.
8. Stensson M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Nilsson M, Oldaeus G, Birkhed D. Oral health in pre-school children with asthma-followed from 3 to 6 years. Int J Paediatr Dent, 2010;20:165-172.
9. Stensson M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Ramberg P, Birkhed D. Caries prevalence, caries-related factors and plaque pH in adolescents with long-term asthma. Caries Res, 2010;44:540-546.
10. Bjerkeborn K, Dahllöf G, Hedlin G, Lindell M, Modéer T. Effect of disease severity and pharmacotherapy of asthma on oral health in asthmatic children. Scand J Dent Res, 1987;95:159-164.
11. Meldrum AM, Thomson WM, Drummond BK, Sears MR. Is asthma a risk factor for dental caries? Finding from a cohort study. Caries Res, 2001;35:235-239.
12. Shulman JD, Taylor SE, Nunn ME. The association between asthma and dental caries in children and adolescents: a population-based case-control study. Caries Res, 2001;35:240-246.
13. Shulman JD, Nunn ME, Taylor SE, Rivera-Hidalgo F. The prevalence of periodontal-related changes in adolescents with asthma: results of the Third Annual National Health and Nutrition Examinations Survey. Pediatr Dent, 2003;25:279-284.
14. Ferrazzano GF, Sangianantoni G, Cantile T, Amato I, Ingenito A, Noschese P. Dental health in asthmatic children: a South Italy study. J Dent Child, 2012;79:170-175.
15. Ehsani S, Moin M, Meighani G, Pourhashemi SJ, Khayatpisheh H, Yarahmadi N. Oral health status in preschool asthmatic children in Iran. J Allergy Asthma Immunol, 2013;12:254-261.
16. Markovic D, Peric T, Sovtic A, Minic P. Oral health in children with asthma. Srp Arh Celok Lek, 2015;143:539-544.
17. Sivasithamparam K, Young WG, Jirattanasopa V, Priest J, Khan F, Harbrow D et al. Dental erosion in asthma: A case-control study from south east Queensland. Austr Dent J, 2002;47:298-303.
18. Al-Dlaigan YH, Shaw L, Smith AJ. Is there a relationship between asthma and dental erosion? A case control study. Int J Paediatr Dent, 2002;12:189-200.
19. Dugmore CR, Rock WP. Asthma and tooth erosion. Is there an association? Int J Paediatr Dent, 2003;13:417-424.
20. Guergolette RP, Dezan CC, Frossard WTG, Ferreira FB, Cerci Neto A, Fernandes KB. Prevalence of developmental defects of enamel in children and adolescents with asthma. J Bras Pneumol, 2009;35:295-300.
21. Steinbacher DM, Glick M. The dental patient with asthma: an update and oral health considerations. J Am Dent Assoc, 2001;132:1229-1239.
22. McDerra EJ, Pollard MA, Curzon ME. The dental status of asthmatic British school children. Pediatr Dent, 1998;20:275-283.
23. Dykewicz M. Rhinitis and sinusitis. J Allergy Clin Immun, 2003;111:S520-529.
24. Wotman S, Mercadante J, Mandel ID, Goldman RS, Denning C. The occurrence of calculus in normal children, children with cystic fibrosis, and children with asthma. J Periodontol, 1973;44:278-280.
25. Bresolin D, Shapiro PA, Shapiro GG, Chapko MK, Dassel S. Mouth breathing in allergic children: its relationship to dentofacial development. Am J Orthod, 1983;83:334-340.
26. Venetikidou A. Incidence of malocclusion in asthmatic children. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 1993;17:89-94.
27. Ellepola AN, Samaranayake LP. Inhalational and topical steroids, and oral candidiosis: a mini review. Oral Dis, 2001;7:211-216.
28. Kargul B, Tanboga I, Ergeneli S, Karakoc F, Dagli E. Inhaler medicament effects on saliva and plaque pH in asthmatic children. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 1998;22:137-140.
29. Shaw L, Al-Dlaigan YH, Smith A. Childhood asthma and dental erosion. J Dent Child, 2000;67:102-106.
30. O’Sullivan B, Freedman S. Cystic fibrosis. Lancet, 2009;373:1891-1904.
31. Ratjen. F. Recent advances in cystic fibrosis. Paediatr Respir Rev, 2008;9:144-148.
32. Aps JK, Van Maele GO, Martens LC. Caries experience and oral cleanliness in cystic fibrosis homozygotes and heterozygotes. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2002;93:560-563.
33. Chi DL. Dental caries prevalence in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis: a qualitative systematic review and recommendations for future research. Int J Paediatr Dent, 2013;23:376-386.
34. Peker S, Kargul B, Tanboga I, Tunali-Akbay T, Yarat A, Karakoc F et al. Oral health and related factors in a group of children with cystic fibrosis in Istanbul, Turkey. Niger J Clin Pract, 2015;18:56-60.
35. Jagels AE, Sweeney EA. Oral health of patients with cystic fibrosis and their siblings. J Dent Res, 1976;55:991-996.
36. Primosch RE. Tetracycline discoloration, enamel defects, and dental caries in patients with cystic fibrosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol, 1980;50:301-308.
37. Kinirons MJ. Increased salivary buffering in association with a low caries experience in children suffering from cystic fibrosis. J Dent Res, 1983;62:815-817.
38. Kinirons MJ. Dental health of patients suffering from cystic fibrosis in Northern Ireland. Community Dent Health, 1989;6:113-120.
39. Kinirons MJ. The effect of antibiotic therapy on the oral health of cystic fibrosis children. Int J Paediatr Dent, 1992;2:139-143.
40. Peker S, Mete S, Gokdemir Y, Karadag B, Kargul B. Related factors of dental caries and molar incisor hypomineralisation in a group of children with cystic fibrosis. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent, 2014;15:275-280.
41. Aps JK, Van Maele GO, Martens LC. Oral hygiene habits and oral health in cystic fibrosis. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 2002;3:181-187.
42. Ferrazzano GF, Orlando S, Sangianantoni S, Cantile T, Ingenito A. Dental and periodontal health status in children affected by cystic fibrosis in a southern Italian region. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 2009;10:65-68.
43. Narang A, Maguire A, Nunn J, Bush A. Oral health and related factors in cystic fibrosis and other chronic respiratory disorders. Arch Dis Child 2003; 88(8):702-707.
44. Fernald GW, Roberts MW, Boat TF. Cystic fibrosis: A current review. Pediatr Dent 1990; 12:72-78.
45. Azevedo TD, Feijó GC, Bezerra AC. Presence of Developmental Defects of Enamel in Cystic Fibrosis Patients. J Dent Child 2006;73:159-163.
46. Fieker A, Philpott J, Armand M. Enzyme replacement therapy for pancreatic insufficiency: present and future. Clin Exp Gastroenterol 2011;4:55-73.