Background/Aim:Residual cysts comprise approximately 10% of all odontogenic cysts. They are more commonly seen in 4th-6th decades of life, and occur due to incomplete previous surgical removal of a radicular cyst; or due to left epithelial remnants stimulated by tooth extraction. These lesions are often treated with enucleation. However, this procedure is not always the ideal treatment solution for elderly people due to the presence of physical and mental disorders, and risk of jaw fracture.
Case Report: In this case report, the successful treatment of a large residual cyst in the symphysis of a 93 year-old female patient by performing decompression alone is presented. A plastic drain was placed on the wall of the cyst to allow irrigation. Regeneration was observed in the cyst cavity 3 months after surgery. The 1-year follow up showed that the majority of the cyst cavity was filled with new bone.
Conclusions: In elderly patients, large inflammatory cysts can be successfully treated with decompression considering the limited regeneration capacity and difficulties in follow-up.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Demirkol M, Ege B, Yanik S, Aras MH, Ay S. Clinicopathological study of jaw cysts in southeast region of Turkey. Eur J Dent, 2014;8:107-111.
2. Allon DM, Allon I, Anavi Y, Kaplan I, Chaushu G. Decompression as a treatment of odontogenic cystic lesions in children. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2015;73:649-654.
3. Sisman Y, Etoz OA, Mavili E, Sahman H, Tarim Ertas E. Anterior Stafne bone defect mimicking a residual cyst: a case report. Dentomaxillofac Radiol, 2010;39:124-126.
4. Jamdade A, Nair GR, Kapoor M, Sharma N, Kundendu A. Localization of a Peripheral Residual Cyst: Diagnostic Role of CT Scan. Case Rep Dent, 2012;2012:760571.
5. Ruiz PA, Toledo OA, Nonaka CF, Pinto LP, Souza LB. Immunohistochemical expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and matrix metalloproteinase-9 in radicular and residual radicular cysts. J Appl Oral Sci, 2010;18:613-620.
6. Sridevi K, Nandan SR, Ratnakar P, Srikrishna K, Vamsi Pavani B. Residual cyst associated with calcifications in an elderly patient. J Clin Diagn Res, 2014;8:246-249.
7. Boffano P, Gallesio C. Exposed inferior alveolar neurovascular bundle during surgical removal of a residual cyst. J Craniofac Surg, 2010;21:270-273.
8. Bodner L, Bar-Ziv J. Characteristics of bone formation following marsupialization of jaw cysts. Dentomaxillofac Radiol, 1998;27:166-171.
9. Enislidis G, Fock N, Sulzbacher I, Ewers R. Conservative treatment of large cystic lesions of the mandible: a prospective study of the effect of decompression. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2004;42:546-550.
10. Anavi Y, Gal G, Miron H, Calderon S, Allon DM. Decompression of odontogenic cystic lesions: clinical long-term study of 73 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2011;112:164-169.
11. Lei F, Chen JY, Wang WC, Lin LM, Huang HC, Ho KY, et al. Retrospective study of oral and maxillofacial lesions in older Taiwanese patients. Gerodontology, 2015;32:281-287.
12. Nishide N, Hitomi G, Miyoshi N. Irrigational therapy of a dentigerous cyst in a geriatric patient: a case report. Spec Care Dentist, 2003;23:70-72.
13. Bonwell PB, Parsons PL, Best AM, Hise S. An interprofessional educational approach to oral health care in the geriatric population. Gerontol Geriatr Educ, 2014;35:182-199.
14. Patil MS, Patil SB. Geriatric patient - psychological and emotional considerations during dental treatment. Gerodontology, 2009;26:72-77.
15. Bereket C, Bekcioglu B, Koyuncu M, Sener I, Kandemir B, Turer A. Intraosseous carcinoma arising from an odontogenic cyst: a case report. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol, 2013;116:e445-e449.