Background/Aim: The management of horizontal root fracture is not straight forward. It depends upon the location of the fracture, mobility and vitality of fractured tooth segment. The goal of treatment is to restore the shape and function of affected tooth.
Case report: This following case report described the conservative management of horizontal root fracture which was also displaced but somehow maintained its vitality. The affected tooth was initially stabilized and followed up in the subsequent appointments for evaluation of vitality that turned out to be vital, thus, preventing any unnecessary intervention.
Conclusions: Horizontal root fractures in the vital teeth should be initially managed conservatively and every effort should be made to preserve the vitality of tooth.
1. Davidovich E, Heling I, Fuks AB. The fate of a mid-root fracture: a case report. Dent Traumatol, 2005;21:170-173.
2. Karhade I, Gulve MN. Management of Horizontal Root Fracture in the Middle Third via Intraradicular Splinting Using a Fiber Post. Case Rep Dent, 2016;2016:9684035.
3. Welbury R, Kinirons MJ, Day P, Humphreys K, Gregg TA. Outcomes for root-fractured permanent incisors: a retrospective study. Pediatr Dent, 2002;24:98-102.
4. Tsai YL, Liao WC, Wang CY, Chang MC, Chang SH, Chang SF, et al. Horizontal root fractures in posterior teeth without dental trauma: tooth/root distribution and clinical characteristics. Int Endod J, 2017;50:830-835.
5. Gorduysus M, Avcu N, Gorduysus O. Spontaneously healed root fractures: two case reports. Dent Traumatol, 2008;24:115-116.
6. Ranka M, Shah J, Youngson C. Root fracture and its management. Dent Update, 2012;39:530-532, 535-538.
7. White I, Spiers G. Taking the trauma out of trauma: an easy to follow guide for the management of trauma to the permanent dentition. Dent Update. 2013;40:643-644, 647-648, 650-652 passim.
8. Clarkson RM, John K, Moule AJ. Horizontal palatal root fracture in a vital upper first premolar. J Endod, 2015;41:759-761.
9. Oztan MD, Sonat B. Repair of untreated horizontal root fractures: two case reports. Dent Traumatol, 2001;17:240-243.
10. Kucukyilmaz E, Botsali MS, Keser G. Treatments of horizontal root fractures: Four case reports. J Pediatr Dent, 2013;1:19-23.
11. Tziafas D, Margelos I. Repair of untreated root fracture: a case report. Endod Dent Traumatol, 1993;9:40-43.
12. Pan CS, Walker RT. Root fractures: a case of dental non-intervention. Endod Dent Traumatol, 1988;4:186-188.
13. Flores MT, Andersson L, Andreasen JO, Bakland LK, Malmgren B, Barnett F, et al. Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries. I. Fractures and luxations of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol, 2007;23:66-71.
14. Cvek M, Mejare I, Andreasen JO. Healing and prognosis of teeth with intra-alveolar fractures involving the cervical part of the root. Dent Traumatol, 2002;18:57-65.
15. Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM, Mejare I, Cvek M. Healing of 400 intra-alveolar root fractures. 1. Effect of pre-injury and injury factors such as sex, age, stage of root development, fracture type, location of fracture and severity of dislocation. Dent Traumatol, 2004;20:192-202.