Background/Aim: The successful outcome of conventional complete denture treatment can be defined with the use of both subjective and objective criteria. Denture satisfaction determinants may include denture quality, oral tissue condition, patient-dentist relationship, patient’s attitude toward dentures, patient’s personality and socioeconomic factors. Purpose: The aim of the current review was to identify and analyze the different construction protocols and occlusal schemes that contribute to the success of complete denture rehabilitation through the use of evaluation questionnaires.
Material and Methods: A comprehensive literature search was performed through electronic databases (MEDLINE via PubMed) using the appropriate key words (complete denture construction, complete denture fabrication, complete denture occlusion and complete denture occlusal scheme). The related to the subject scientific papers were selected and evaluated for eligibility utilizing a predefined review process (English, full text articles, published from January 2000 up to April 2017).
Results: None of the analyzed studies identified significant differences between dentures constructed with simplified, CAD/CAM and traditional protocols in terms of general satisfaction and Oral Health Related Quality of Life scales. The same condition applied to the studies which compared complete dentures with bilateral balanced, lingualized, monoplane and canine guided occlusion.
Conclusions: Current scientific evidence suggested that patients could adapt comfortably to any type of bilateral balanced occlusal scheme and to complete dentures been fabricated with all types of complete denture construction protocol. Disease-specific questionnaires could be considered valuable tools and should be used to assess the outcome of any treatment modality.
4. Heydecke G, Penrod JR, Takanashi Y, Lund JP, Feine JS, Thomason JM. Cost-effectiveness of Mandibular Two-implant Overdentures and Conventional Dentures in the Edentulous Elderly. J Dent Res, 2005;84:794-799.
5. Takanashi Y, Penrod JR, Lund JP, Feine JS. A cost comparison of mandibular two-implant overdenture and conventional denture treatment. Int J Prosthodont, 2004;17:181-186.
7. Clark RKF, Radford DR, Fenlon MR. The future of teaching of complete denture construction to undergraduates in the UK: is a replacement denture technique the answer? Br Dent J, 2004;196:571-575.
8. Arbree NS, Fleck S, Askinas SW. The results of a brief survey of complete denture prosthodontic techniques in predoctoral programs in North American dental schools. J Prosthodont, 1996;5:219-225.
9. Duncan J, Taylor T. Teaching an abbreviated impression technique for complete dentures in an undergraduate dental curriculum. J Prosthet Dent, 2001;85:121-125.
10. Carlsson GE, Örtorp A, Omar R. What is the evidence base for the efficacies of different complete denture impression procedures? A critical review. J Dent, 2013;41:17-23.
11. Nuñez MCO, Silva DC, Barcelos BA, Leles CR. Patient satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life after treatment with traditional and simplified protocols for complete denture construction. Gerodontology, 2015;32:247-253.
12. Vecchia MP Della, Regis RR, Cunha TR, de Andrade IM, da Matta JCS, De Souza RF. A Randomized trial on simplified and conventional methods for complete denture fabrication: Cost analysis. J Prosthodont, 2014;23:182-191.
13. Regis RR, Cunha TR, Della Vecchia MP, Ribeiro AB, Silva-Lovato CH, De Souza RF. A randomised trial of a simplified method for complete denture fabrication: Patient perception and quality. J Oral Rehabil, 2013;40:535-545.
14. Cunha TR, Della Vecchia MP, Regis RR, Ribeiro AB, Muglia VA, Mestriner W Jr. et al. A randomised trial on simplified and conventional methods for complete denture fabrication: Masticatory performance and ability. J Dent, 2013;41:133-142.
15. Kawai Y, Murakami H, Shariati B, Klemetti E, Blomfield JV, Billette L. et al. Do traditional techniques produce better conventional complete dentures than simplified techniques? J Dent, 2005;33:659-668.
16. Kawai Y, Murakami H, Takanashi Y, Lund JP, Feine JS. Efficient resource use in simplified complete denture fabrication. J Prosthodont, 2010;19:512-516.
17. Heydecke G, Vogeler M, Wolkewitz M, Türp JC, Strub JR. Simplified versus comprehensive fabrication of complete dentures: patient ratings of denture satisfaction from a randomized crossover trial. Quintessence Int, 2008;39:107-116.
18. Bidra AS, Taylor TD, Agar JR. Computer-aided technology for fabricating complete dentures: Systematic review of historical background, current status, and future perspectives. J Prosthet Dent, 2013;109:361-366.
19. Kattadiyil MT, AlHelal A. An update on computer-engineered complete dentures: A systematic review on clinical outcomes. J Prosthet Dent, 2017;117:478-485.
20. Kattadiyil MT, Jekki R, Goodacre CJ, Baba NZ. Comparison of treatment outcomes in digital and conventional complete removable dental prosthesis fabrications in a predoctoral setting. J Prosthet Dent, 2015;114:818-825.
21. Schwindling FS, Stober T. A comparison of two digital techniques for the fabrication of complete removable dental prostheses: A pilot clinical study. J Prosthet Dent, 2016;116:756-763.
22. Müller F. Interventions for edentate elders--what is the evidence? Gerodontology, 2014;31:44-51.
23. Scott BJ, Forgie A. H, Davis DM. A study to compare the oral health impact profile and satisfaction before and after having replacement complete dentures constructed by either the copy or the conventional technique. Gerodontology, 2006;23:79-86.
24. Ellis JS, Pelekis ND, Thomason JM. Conventional rehabilitation of edentulous patients: the impact on oral health-related quality of life and patient satisfaction. J Prosthodont, 2007;16:37-42.
25. Kamalakidis SN, Anastassiadou V, Sofou A, Pissiotis AL. Comparative Study of Acceptance and Adaptation to New Complete Dentures, Using Two Construction Protocols. J Prosthodont, 2016;25:536-543.
26. Abduo J. Occlusal Schemes for Complete Dentures: A Systematic Review. Int J Prosthodont, 2013;26:26-33.
27. Carlsson GE. Critical review of some dogmas in prosthodontics. J Prosthodont Res, 2009;53:3-10.
28. Zhao K, Mai QQ, Wang XD, Yang W, Zhao L. Occlusal designs on masticatory ability and patient satisfaction with complete denture: A systematic review. J Dent, 2013;41:1036-1042.
29. Peroz I, Leuenberg A, Haustein I, Lange KP. Comparison between balanced occlusion and canine guidance in complete denture wearers- a clinical, randomized trial. Quintessence Int, 2003;34:607-612.
30. Rehmann P, Balkenhol M, Ferger P, Wöstmann B. Influence of the occlusal concept of complete dentures on patient satisfaction in the initial phase after fitting: bilateral balanced occlusion vs canine guidance. Int J Prosthodont, 2008;21:60-61.
31. Farias NA, Mestriner W Jr, Carreiro AA. Masticatory efficiency in denture wearers with bilateral balanced occlusion and canine guidance. Braz Dent J, 2010;21:165-169.
32. Paleari AG, Marra J, Rodriguez LS, de Souza RF, Pero AC, Mollo Fde A Jr. et al. A cross-over randomised clinical trial of eccentric occlusion in complete dentures. J Oral Rehabil, 2012;39:615-622.
33. Schierz O, Reissmann D. Influence of guidance concept in complete dentures on oral health related quality of life – Canine guidance vs. bilateral balanced occlusion. J Prosthodont Res, 2016;60:315-320.
34. Sutton AF, Worthington HV, McCord JF. RCT comparing posterior occlusal forms for complete dentures. J Dent Res, 2007;86:651-655.
35. Sutton AF, McCord JF. A randomized clinical trial comparing anatomic, lingualized, and zero-degree posterior occlusal forms for complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent, 2007;97:292-298.
36. Kimoto S, Kanno K, Kobayashi K. Prospective Clinical Trial Comparing Lingualized Occlusion to Bilateral Balanced Occlusion in Complete Dentures: A Pilot Study. Int J Prosthodont, 2006;19:103-109.
37. Matsumaru Y. Influence of mandibular residual ridge resorption on objective masticatory measures of lingualized and fully bilateral balanced denture articulation. J Prosthodont Res, 2010;54:112-118.
38. Deniz D, Kulak Ozkan Y. The influence of occlusion on masticatory performance and satisfaction in complete denture wearers. J Oral Rehabil, 2013;40:91-98.
39. Shirani M, Mosharraf R, Shirany M. Comparisons of patient satisfaction levels with complete dentures of different occlusions: a randomized clinical trial. J Prosthodont, 2014;23:259-266.
40. Niwatcharoenchaikul W, Tumrasvin W, Arksornnukit M. Effect of complete denture occlusal schemes on masticatory performance and maximum occlusal force. J Prosthet Dent, 2014;112:1337-1342.
41. Heydecke G, Akkad AS, Wolkewitz M, Vogeler M, Türp JC, Strub JR. Patient ratings of chewing ability from a randomised crossover trial: lingualised vs. first premolar/canine-guided occlusion for complete dentures. Gerodontology, 2007;24:77-86.
42. Kawai Y, Ikeguchi N, Suzuki A, Kuwashima A, Sakamoto R, Matsumaru Y. et al. A double blind randomized clinical trial comparing lingualized and fully bilateral balanced posterior occlusion for conventional complete dentures. J Prosthodont Res, 2017;61:113-122.
43. Gift H, Redford M. Oral health and the quality of life. Clin Geriatr Med, 1992;8:673-683.
44. Allen F, Locker D. A modified short version of the oral health impact profile for assessing health-related quality of life in edentulous adults. Int J Prosthodont, 2002;15:446-450.
45. Awad MA, Feine JS. Measuring patient satisfaction with mandibular prostheses. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 1998;26:400-405.
46. Anastassiadou V, Heath MR. The effect of denture quality attributes on satisfaction and eating difficulties. Gerodontology, 2006;23:23-32.
47. Anastassiadou V, Katsouli S, Heath MR, Pissiotis A, Kapari D. Validation of communication between elderly denture wearers and dentists: a questionnaire on satisfaction with complete dentures using semi-structured interviews. Gerodontology, 2004;21:195-200.
48. Anastassiadou V, Naka O, Heath MR, Kapari D. Validation of indices for functional assessment of dentures. Gerodontology, 2002;19:46-52.
49. Anastassiadou V, Heath MR. Food choices and eating difficulty among elderly edentate patients in Greece. Gerodontology, 2002;19:17-24.