This review paper occupies with the frequency, etiology, diagnosis, treatment and the possible complications of Ankyloglossia (AG). AG is a congenital anomaly and its range varies from 0,1% to 4,8 %. There are several methods for the diagnosis of AG. The most popular method is the ‘’Hazelbaker’’, which assesses seven different tongue movements and five appearance characteristics. As far as the management of AG is concerned, there are two options, the ‘’wait-and-see’’ and the invasive procedure. The operator can choose between the frenotomy and the frenectomy. The difference is that in frenectomy the clinician removes the whole frenulum. Few complications have been mentioned, such as ulcers, pain, bleeding and noticeable scar, which were brought on to a second operation.
1. Zampeli D, Vanderas Α. Ankyloglossia: a review. Peadodent, 2005;19:113-120.
2. Kupietzky A, Botzer E. Ankyloglossia in the infant and young child: clinical suggestions for diagnosis and management. Pediatr Dent, 2005;27:40-46.
3. Packham EA, Brook JD. T-box genes in human disorders. Hum Mol Genet, 2003;12:37-44.
4. Luke MC, Darling TN, Hsu R, Summers RM, Smith JA, Solomon BI et al. Mucosal morbidity in patients with epidermolysis bullosa acquisita. Arch Dermatol, 1999;135:954-959.
5. Bhattad MS, Baliga MS, Kriplani R. Clinical guidelines and management of ankyloglossia with 1-year followup: report of 3 cases. Case Rep Dent, 2013;2013:185803.
6. Segal LM, Stephenson R, Dawes M, Feldman P. Prevalence, diagnosis, and treatment of ankyloglossia: methodologic review. Can Fam Physician, 2007;53:1027-1033.
7. Parida P. Ankyloglossia (Tongue tie). Int J Otorhinolaryngol, 2008;8:1-3.
8. Olivi G, Signore A, Olivi M, Genovese MD. Lingual frenectomy: functional evaluation and new therapeutical approach. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 2012;13:101-106.
9. Ballard J, Chantry C, Howard CR. Guidelines for the evaluation and management of neonatal ankyloglossia and its complications in the breastfeeding dyad. Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, 2004. ion and treatment of ankyloglossia. JAMA, 1990;262:2371. Received on March 23, 2016. Revised on May 31, 2016. Accepted on Jun 2, 2016. Correspondence: Charisi Christina Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece e-mail address: email@example.com
10. Williams WN, Waldron CM. Assessment of lingual function when ankyloglossia (tongue-tie) is suspected. J Am Dent Assoc, 1985;110:353-356.
11. Messner AH, Lalakea ML, Aby J, Macmahon J, Bair E. Ankyloglossia: incidence and associated feeding difficulties. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2000;126:36-39.
12. Brookes A, Bowley DM. Tongue tie: the evidence for frenotomy. Early Hum Dev, 2014;90:765-768.
13. Ballard JL, Auer CE, Khoury JC. Ankyloglossia: assessment, incidence, and effect of frenuloplasty on the breastfeeding dyad. Pediatrics, 2002;110:e63.
14. Argiris K, Vasani S, Wong G, Stimpson P, Gunning E, Caulfield H. Audit of tongue-tie division in neonates with breastfeeding difficulties: how we do it. Clin Otolaryngol, 2011;36:256-260.
15. Webb AN, Hao W, Hong P. The effect of tonguetie division on breastfeeding and speech articulation: a systematic review. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 2013;77:635-646.
16. Chinnadurai S, Francis DO, Epstein RA, Morad A, Kohanim S, McPheeters M. Treatment of ankyloglossia for reasons other than breastfeeding: a systematic review. Pediatrics, 2015;135:e1467-1474.
17. Blaggana A, Blaggana V. Ankyloglossia: diagnostic and treatment dilemma; A case report. J Innov Dent, 2011;1.
19. Vaz AC, Bai PM. Lingual frenulum and malocclusion: An overlooked tissue or a minor issue. Indian J Dent Res, 2015;26:488-492.
20. Francis DO, Krishnaswami S, McPheeters M. Treatment of ankyloglossia and breastfeeding outcomes: a systematic review. Pediatrics, 2015;135:e1458-1466.
21. Glynn RW, Colreavy M, Rowley H, Gendy S. Division of tongue tie: review of practicethrougha tertiary paediatric otorhinolaryngology service. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 2012;76:1434-1436.
22. Ferrés-Amat E, Pastor-Vera T, Ferrés-Amat E, Mareque-Bueno J, Prats-Armengol J, Ferrés-Padró E. Multidisciplinary management of ankyloglossia in childhood. Treatment of 101 cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 2016;21:e39-47.
23. Lamba AK, Aggarwal K, Faraz F, Tandon S, Chawla K. Er,Cr:YSGG laser for the treatment of ankyloglossia. Indian J Dent, 2015;6:149-152.
24. Nicoloso GF, dos Santos IS, Flores JA, da Silveira BL, Oliveira MD. An Alternative Method to Treat Ankyloglossia. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 2016;40:319-321.
25. Lalakea ML, Messner AH. Ankyloglossia: the adolescent and adult perspective. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2003;128:746-752.
26. Naimer SA, Biton A, Vardy D, Zvulunov A. Office treatment of congenital ankyloglossia. Med Sci Monit, 2003;9:CR432-435.